Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Kathleen McKenzie Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 06, 2011 9:05:44 PM(UTC)
Kathleen McKenzie

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I have had my Cricut for a little over a week. I LOVE it! I have already taught myself so much. In fact, my husband's birthday is tomorrow and I made all of the decorations with the Cricut lol.

Here is my question, my parents recently purchased a remote conrol car. They are turning it into a police car, my dad already purchased the lights. They also purchased sticky paper and want to know if I can cut out a police car design to stick on to it. Is there any way to do this? Is there a software I can purchase that will allow me to design my own design and cut it out with the cricut? Or do I have to use a cartridge for everything I want to cut out?

Thanks in advance for the help!BigGrin
GayleHathaway1 Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 06, 2011 10:28:50 PM(UTC)
GayleHathaway1

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Their is a program called SCAL, Sure Cuts A Lot. Google it and you can get the details. Design Studio is a program to purchase for your computer from Provo Craft and you can adjust any design that you have a cartridge for, and the gypsy is a handheld computer that lets you do the same thing. I am not sure about designing your own shapes and if theirs a way to transfer it to the cricut. Good Luck.
Gloria Dasher Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 07, 2011 2:16:12 AM(UTC)
Gloria Dasher

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
Puerto Rico

Was thanked: 432 time(s) in 144 post(s)
HELLO
Yes there is a free software call inkscape now i dont know if the cricut work with that alone you might be able to do scal or make a cut but now i dont know if its working with the cricut cuz pc had a lawsuit for copyright do some research Cool

Edited by user Sunday, August 07, 2011 2:16:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: forget to space

nancyh Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, August 08, 2011 10:27:05 AM(UTC)
nancyh

Was thanked: 562 time(s) in 423 post(s)
SCAL no longer works with cricut....there are no third party software programs that work with cricut. If you want to do any designing, I would recommend the cricut gypsy over design studio, only because they will no longer be doing updates for DS. Just FYI, though, any cart image you design with, you actually have to own the cart to be able to cut with it.

Perhaps you could find a clipart image of a police car logo and print it on the sticky paper and cut it out by hand? I'm sure there are oodles of clip art images out there to choose from.

ETA: I found two cricut images that will work! Look at the Going Places cart scroll down to page 100 of the handbook:

http://www.cricut.com/re...books/GoingPlaces_cw.pdf

All you would need to do is add some lettering!

Edited by user Monday, August 08, 2011 10:50:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked nancyh for this useful post.
Emerald on 8/8/2011(UTC)
scrapalette Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, August 08, 2011 12:16:19 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 18404 time(s) in 8178 post(s)
PC is going to continue to update the Cart Library in DS, even once CCR is released. There haven't been any program updates to DS since the Gypsy was released, so no change there.

DS or a Gypsy or CCR~when available~ will allow you to manipulate the images on the carts and create your own designs. You can't import and image and trace it to turn it into a cutting file. But, you certainly can create your design using the shapes (lots of basic shapes on George) on the carts.

{While there are no 3rd party software programs that you can currently buy that will send a file to cut to a Cricut, all of the pre-settlement software still works.}