Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

AllisonBaldwin1 Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2011 12:59:40 PM(UTC)
AllisonBaldwin1

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello again! What are the differences between the Gypsy and the Design Studio (other than the price, of course). I have a laptop, so portability isn't exactly an issue. What are the pros and cons? Thanks for your advice BigGrin
 1 user thanked AllisonBaldwin1 for this useful post.
KreationsByKawai on 7/25/2011(UTC)
Doxieluv01 Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2011 1:15:53 PM(UTC)
Doxieluv01

Was thanked: 2261 time(s) in 1788 post(s)
Design Studio and the gypsy are similar products. However, PC is coming out with a new product called Cricut Craft Room (CCR) which will be a web based program that is similar to the gypsy and Design Studio (DS).

I would not invest in design studio unless you can find it super duper cheap as it doesn't appear that program updates will be made to DS in the future as they are putting the programmers on CCR

Currently there is only 1 gypsy and if you shop around you can find it for less than $300.00

The gypsy allows you to weld letters into words, it allows you to link your carts to the gypsy so that you don't need to insert them into the cricut when you use the cricut (however, linking your carts to the gypsy will not allow them to be linked to another gypsy ... they will still work in the cricut machine but can only be used on the 1 gypsy).

The gypsy allows you to position your shapes where ever you want on the mat and can use scraps of paper to cut.

The gypsy allows you to create new shapes from existing shapes on the cart library like this balloon I made. I welded basic shapes together to create the balloon

balloon

HTH
 1 user thanked Doxieluv01 for this useful post.
AllisonBaldwin1 on 7/23/2011(UTC)
PatRoller Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2011 4:16:09 PM(UTC)
PatRoller

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 14347 time(s) in 2305 post(s)
Cute card...hadn't thought to do thst with shapes. I am only now getting into using the Gypsy fairly well. Thanks for the hint and the inspiration.
groov87 Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2011 7:10:36 AM(UTC)
groov87

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I found the Gypsy on clearance at HOBBY LOBBY for $69.99!!!!LOL
scrapalette Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2011 11:16:38 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 18430 time(s) in 8191 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AllisonBaldwin1 Go to Quoted Post
Hello again! What are the differences between the Gypsy and the Design Studio (other than the price, of course). I have a laptop, so portability isn't exactly an issue. What are the pros and cons? Thanks for your advice BigGrin

The Gypsy has some advanced design features, like being able to hide parts of an image and have those SAVE in your design file. With DS, you have to hide at least two different lines in the image for it to save.

The Gypsy will allow you to copy and paste an image that has had part of it hidden. With DS, you have to re-hide each hidden part in the pasted image.

The Gypsy allows you to link your carts and you don't need to have the cart in hand when you are ready cut. With DS, you need to plug the cart in to cut or use a jukebox and have the carts used in the design loaded into the jukebox.

DS will open both .cut files (those files created in DS) and .gypsy files (those files created with a Gypsy). A Gypsy will only open .gypsy files.

There are some other differences, but those are my main ones (other than portability).

Even with it's limitations, I still love DS and use it often. I am seeing great potential with CCR.

The Gypsy has been selling for around $100 for quite some time now. DS has been found on sale or clearance for under $50. And, CCR will be free! BigGrin
Gina B Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2011 8:11:17 PM(UTC)
Gina B

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I would not get the DS if you have the newer cricut machines like the imagine....it does not work with it....i ended up buying a gypsy......HTH!
LazyBee Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2011 9:41:00 PM(UTC)
LazyBee

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 637 time(s) in 304 post(s)
If I were going to buy anything I would buy the gypsy. I know there are people who really like their design studio. I have both and I actually get rather frustrated with design studio (and I'm pretty computer literate). I really like my gypsy. It is so easy to use and the feature are much easier to accomplish on the gypsy than DS. And best of all if you link your carts you don't need them to cut or design, and you can take the gypsy with you. The only short coming the gypsy has is it's screen size. Look for it on sale if you can. Good Luck!
Kroppin Kari Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2011 9:57:22 PM(UTC)
Kroppin Kari

United States

Was thanked: 1762 time(s) in 900 post(s)
I would personally get a gypsy, and then wait for the craft room to be released to the public. I have been a beta tester and love it so far. I have design studio but just have not played with it too much... if found my gypsy easier to use so I don't have to always plug in my cartridges. One thing with the new craft room is you can save the files for your gypsy to use. So right now I design on my big screen computer and then save it onto my gypsy for cutting. (they don't have the feature working yet to link all our cartridges to craft room quite yet). If you do go with design studio, I found mine at one time on walmart.com for about $30... it was never that cheap at their stores though. But may places recently have been selling it for cheap. Also the gypsy no can be purchased for around $100 as well.
Patty R Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 11:43:37 PM(UTC)
Patty R

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I suggest the Gypsy of Design studio or even the craft room.

Between the G and my I touch that has all the cricut books downloaded from the cart library..It saves over 45 pounds of stuff I HAVE TO HAUL TO CROPS and my classes I TEACH.

tHAT NEW ONLINE DESIGN PROGRAM..cRICUT cRAFT ROOM (dang cap lock..sorry)This program is limited when I go other places for crops. If you do not have internet service or locked wi fi..you can NOT access your projects.

I have never been able to proper work the Design Studio group feature since that update. I gave up on it.

I am a Gypsy girl now. You can find them in many places for $100.
I paid $125 w/shipping over a year ago. It also comes with 2 carts and when you do the updates, you could end up with more free carts down oaded on there.

Now if you can find the CDS for under $25 that may be worth it.

I still recomend the Gypsy,

familyscrapper Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, August 05, 2011 7:48:42 PM(UTC)
familyscrapper

Location: Living in TX; heart and son in Colorado, MQ #83, page 4

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I agree with most posters here. I never thought I'd like the Gypsy due to the screen size, but when the price started coming down so much, I couldn't resist it, and my DH bought it for me for an early Xmas present last year. I had, and still have, a very light weight and portable PC which has by DS on it, but he Gypsy is so much better. While I was concerned about the screen size, the zoom and pan functions are SOOOO easy to use, screen size is not an issue for me. I love the portability. I have taken it in the car, in front of the TV with my DH, to the doctor's office, and it's fabulous. I've never had a concern with battery life either, although I've heard other have. I love the Gypsy.