Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Wifeandmomof3boys Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 01, 2011 8:35:15 AM(UTC)
Wifeandmomof3boys

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Hi I'm Suzelle... I stumbled upon the Cricut Community last week. Never knew you guys were all hanging out here and wish I would've known. I love the projects I've seen and more importantly the sense of family, everyone helping and being loving and supportive of one another. Since I started browsing on Thursday I went out and got a Xyron(thanks to all the wonderful tips and tricks I read about and everytime there was a question about adhesive the answer was "Xyron"). I've always seen it around but didn't feel like i need another piece of "equipment".. considering I have the expression, the cake, Imagine and the expression 2 and gypsy. Until I got the Xyron I used adhesive sheets from Stampin' Up. Right now I am working on a whole lot of end of year gifts I have two boys in school so making something for each of their class mates and teachers, and I'm a lunch mom so working on stuff for my students and co workers.

I did have a couple of questions:

1. What is a cricut circle and where can i get information on it?
2. I read about a center point feature.. is there somewhere I can get information on how to use it and more importantly how to find it on my machine?
3. What's the best advice you can give a newbie?

Thanks in Advance!

Suzelle
Just Another Scrapper Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 01, 2011 8:52:21 PM(UTC)
Just Another Scrapper

I'm sort of new to cricutting myself but I can answer some of your questions Suzelle. My name is Barbara.

You're probably referring to Circle Exclusives that you see listed on some carts. The Cricut Circle is a paid membership club. I'm not sure exactly how much it costs to join but the fee is substantial. For this fee they receive exclusive carts that are not for sale to the general public. They also have internal contests where they can win other stuff.

The center point function is not on the personal cricut. It is on the Expression - I use it myself. And it's really easy. You line up your blade to the center of your image that you want to cut around. And in the middle of the 'dashboard' as I call it there are buttons - multi cut, center point, flip and line return. Just punch the center point button, select your cut image and size, then press cut. The blade will line up the outline of your cut image so that where your blade started out is the center. After the cutting is done the blade returns to the center point.

The best advice for cricutting is experiment. Don't start out with high end paper and expect to just punch buttons and have a perfect cut every time. You need to experiment with the blade speed and pressure for each kind of media you cut.
Wifeandmomof3boys Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 01, 2011 9:37:51 PM(UTC)
Wifeandmomof3boys

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Just Another Scrapper Go to Quoted Post
I'm sort of new to cricutting myself but I can answer some of your questions Suzelle. My name is Barbara.

You're probably referring to Circle Exclusives that you see listed on some carts. The Cricut Circle is a paid membership club. I'm not sure exactly how much it costs to join but the fee is substantial. For this fee they receive exclusive carts that are not for sale to the general public. They also have internal contests where they can win other stuff.

The center point function is not on the personal cricut. It is on the Expression - I use it myself. And it's really easy. You line up your blade to the center of your image that you want to cut around. And in the middle of the 'dashboard' as I call it there are buttons - multi cut, center point, flip and line return. Just punch the center point button, select your cut image and size, then press cut. The blade will line up the outline of your cut image so that where your blade started out is the center. After the cutting is done the blade returns to the center point.

The best advice for cricutting is experiment. Don't start out with high end paper and expect to just punch buttons and have a perfect cut every time. You need to experiment with the blade speed and pressure for each kind of media you cut.

Thanks Barbara Smile Do you know if the Center Point function is on either the Imagine or E2 as well?
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 9:19:21 PM(UTC)
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 12277 time(s) in 4981 post(s)
Hi, Suzelle!! Welcome.

To answer your questions:

1. What is a cricut circle and where can i get information on it?
The Circle is a program that costs $275 a year that will give you these perks - 4 exclusive cartridges (sight unseen), a wonderful on-line magazine, a fantastic blog, fantastic challenges with prizes like cricut.com credit/machines/cartridges, a smaller message board, opportunities to meet other Circle members at events (I am going to one tomorrow and one in July), 10% discount at cricut.com, extra items in the rewards section.

2. I read about a center point feature.. is there somewhere I can get information on how to use it and more importantly how to find it on my machine?
I love the centerpoint feature! I use it on my Expression all the time. Press the centerpoint button, move the blade to the center of the object you are cutting, enter the shape of the cut you want to select, and press cut. An example of using this would be if you wanted to cut a circle out of the center of a sheet of cardstock that is 2". You would place your cardstock, move the blade to the center of the paper, select the circle shape from your cartridge overlay (such as on the George cartridge), make sure size is 2", and press cut. The machine will understand that the place you have put the blade is the middle of the circle and will cut around it. It is a fantastic feature that I know is available on the Expression and Create. I know it is not available on the Imagine -- not sure about the E2 or Baby Bug.

3. What's the best advice you can give a newbie?

Buy some tools. The spatula, squeegee, and dental pick thingy are must-haves. You can check my blog for a list of great tools at http://withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com/p/gotta-have-it-tools-i-love.html

Buy a nice selection of cartridges. I find the best prices at ebay.com, cricutmachine.com, memorymiser.com, and customcrops.com. Sometimes, cricut.com has a good sale. I try to keep my carts in the $25 range, but sometimes I find a super bargain... sometimes I also just buy a new one and pay more to have it right away. I have over 200 so finding a good price is key. The thing is, you will find one cheap on one site and a different one cheap on another. You have to be a scount to find bargains. It is worth it though!
If you shop with cricutmachine.com, only use paypay!

Have fun and post your projects.
 2 users thanked Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com for this useful post.
Wifeandmomof3boys on 6/2/2011(UTC), TomikaFaison on 7/4/2011(UTC)