Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

PRprincess Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2011 8:17:06 PM(UTC)
PRprincess

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
[b][color=violet]Hi everyone on the MB! I'm Marina and I just ordered a Cricut Create and Gypsy bundle from HSN yesterday and can not wait to get them!! I am totally new to doing any kind of crafts. I bet I will get the hang of crafting very quickly because I know I have the potential to do well with it. I made my own wedding invites and that came out a huge success, so this should be a breeze to pick up. What are some easy projects that I could practice on first when I get my Cricut and as a newbie, I know that there are other items i'm going to need to craft with but I have no idea what those would be. Suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to become a regular on the MB and share all the projects I work on. Talk to you all soon!

MarinaCool
sweetpea1030 Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2011 8:56:53 PM(UTC)
sweetpea1030

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 1604 time(s) in 1019 post(s)
Welcome to the MB and the world of Cricuting, PRprincess.

When you receive your machine, the cart that comes with it will have a project to get you started. Beyond that, there's plenty of enabling -- encouraging right here on the MB. Look through the listing of the different forums and pop in and see what other circuteers are doing. If you look at the bottom of the posts several members have a link to their blogs. The official cricut blog was put up just last week. Excellent place to get started. There are some amazing designers for cricut that posts on the blog.

YouTube is also a good source of videos and project ideas. Just type in Cricut or Cricut Create and you're on you way to a neverending source of enabling -- encouraging. Laugh

Happy Cricuting!
Smile
Alaskacricut Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2011 10:42:41 PM(UTC)
Alaskacricut

Was thanked: 348 time(s) in 223 post(s)
Hi Marina, welcome to message board! Congrats on your new toys! You will love them. Sweet Pea is right, if you go out to main page of the message board and go down to cartridge forum, you will find the listing of each cart, click on whichever cart name you have or thinking of getting and you can see projects. With your gypsy there are no books that come with the 2 preloaded carts on it: Gypsy Wanderings and Gypsy font, but you can go to this website and download the books there for these 2 carts, here is the link: http://www.cricut.com/in...n/cartridge_library.aspx . Also here is a link to download the users manual for the gypsy: http://www.google.com/ur...vC8v5sEw9tmQ&cad=rja

Some items that I love to use when crafting is:

the cricut spatula to help remove cut images from the mat. Zig glue pen, for small pieces. Xyron machines are very nice for running your cuts through, they put adhesive all over the back of the image so you don't have to glue it yourself. There are 4 sizes available. You can find them at Joanns, Michaels, HSN, lots of places! There are also great cutting guides available at www.aboverubiesstudio.com It is free and you can download it plus a lot of folks on the mb have so much help on their blogs for beginners. If you think you are going to cut chipboard I recommend getting one of the deep cut blades. There are also colored markers available made for PC cricuts, they are really neat. It is important to know that PC does not support 3rd party software or gel pen holders. This will void the warranty on your machine and it is not recommended that questions are asked about these items or post projects made with them. There is also a jukebox, it holds up to 6 cartridges, so you don't have to swap out cartridges when you are cutting. PC also has a program called Design Studio for sale, but fairly soon a free program will be available to everyone to use called the Cricut Craft Room. It is not open to everyone yet, but it will be! With the program you can weld images together from the carts that you currently own and cut, you can hide contours on some images to. But on your gypsy you can do the same thing, but you can only cut with the carts you own and linked to it. That is all I can think of the moment. Enjoy your Create & gypsy when it comes, if you have anymore questions, just ask! Kathy

Edited by user Monday, May 23, 2011 10:54:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked Alaskacricut for this useful post.
GraceSanchez on 5/30/2011(UTC)
gcmcevoy Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 3:05:39 AM(UTC)
gcmcevoy

United States

Was thanked: 702 time(s) in 607 post(s)
Welcome Marina!
Since you said that you are getting the gypsy with your order you won't need a jukebox the G will hold all your carts so you dont have to switch them out or press a button to do a cut like with a jukebox. There is ONE must have tool and that is the spatula. I don't know if your order will come with it or not but you need it. You can always pick one up at Michaels , joanns, AC Moore, or at some Walmarts (not allWalmarts in our area have scrapping sections . If they do you will find the things but the books and magazines not crafts. I don't understand why but that's the way they do it). Of course you will need paper and I would suggest and ATG tape gun (look at mikes you can buy it with a50percent off coupon).
Also check out you tube for videos on using your G and check out people's blogs (shesasassylady and thebugbyte are mb members who have great videos to learn how to use you g).
Glad to have you here and welcome.
wannaBscrappin' Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 3:43:10 AM(UTC)
wannaBscrappin'

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Quote:
There are also colored markers available made for PC cricuts, they are really neat. It

Congrats on your new purchases! You will love them! I have the Designer's Calendar cartridge & I use the markers to make my own calendars! I can vary the sizes from one month to the next, scrap whatever I like for that month & attach it to the page I have made from the Designer's Calendar with the markers & then pop it into a scrapbook at the end of that month! Voila! Saves lots of $$$ on a calendar!
PRprincess Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:45:05 AM(UTC)
PRprincess

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thank you all so much for the responses! At this point, i'm just waiting to receive my new toys and I can not wait! I definitely have to check if I have the spatula and I will check out Michael's for the adhesives. Can I use any paper that is sold in Michael's? Also, I purchased Bazzill 100pc Core-Dyed Textured Cardstock Pack with my machine but it's 12" x 12", what should I purchase to cut it down to fit in the Create?

Thanks, MarinaHuh
sweetpea1030 Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:26:36 PM(UTC)
sweetpea1030

Was thanked: 1604 time(s) in 1019 post(s)
You can cut the 12x12 in half to use on the smaller mats. There is a cricut accessory kit. It comes with a 12 inch paper cutter and all the tools mentioned in OP's posts. I has a six inch ruler, three tools to help lift your images off the mat, a pair of scissor, a white eraser, and a both the metal spatula and the flat green one. I've seen it as low as 14.99, but it's usually about 24.99.

Great paper pick. HTH

Happy Cricuting!
Smile
NotGoingGreyGracefully Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2011 3:44:35 PM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

Was thanked: 799 time(s) in 449 post(s)
Lots of great advice here! One thing I learned the hard way, there used to be a thread on how to clean your spatula. Most people use rubbing alcohol. But it dawned on me one day, if my spatula has sticky all over it, where did it come from? My mats!!! I want my mats to stay sticky, not donate their sticky to my spatula!!

I am blessed with long, strong natural nails, so I usually bend the mat at a cut and start to peel it off with my nails. If it's an intricate cut or doesn't want to come off, I use the mat scraper in the cricut tool kit (can't craft without it, and manicure kit, too - more on that below) to gently scrape my paper, both cut and leftover, off the mat. I never get any sticky on my scraper, and my mats last a lot longer. I try hard not to touch the sticky surface of my mat with my fingers, because the oils and such will (interfere?) decrease the sticky-ness.

A manicure kit is really useful, from an emery board to sand/distress your work, to tweezers for those little pieces, to a really sharp!! pair of scissors... It's my go-to, must-have tool for paper crafts.

And I read a thread a little ahead of yours - don't go mashing your paper to your brand-new mat. Some of them are super-sticky, and you will spend agonizing hours trying to recover your mat (the paper will be history, unfortunately). Before you use your mat for the first time, pat it all over with your (clean) hands, stick it to your t-shirt or jeans or even really clean carpet so it will hold your paper in place while cutting, but release your cuts when it is done. As your mat gets older, you will have to burnish it down on the mat harder, but that's better than not being able to get your cuts off the mat at all.

Welcome, and happy cricutting!!
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2011 5:20:31 PM(UTC)
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com

United States

Was thanked: 12283 time(s) in 4983 post(s)
Welcome!!!

You have gotten lots of great answers. Just wanted to say hi.

I have a list of helpful tools and a settings chart on my blog (see blog button below) if that would be helpful to you.

Other than than, just have fun. Can't wait to see your creations.
Just Another Scrapper Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 01, 2011 9:01:18 PM(UTC)
Just Another Scrapper

I have found that a box cutter knife works better than the spatula. I just use the blade to loosen one edge of my cut and then gently peel the rest up.

And occasionally my knife does get a bit tacky. I use goo-gone or un-do to clean the blade.