Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

KarenRussell6 Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 4:36:27 AM(UTC)
KarenRussell6

Groups: Registered

Hi,
I've just purchssed the cricut cake and I'm having trouble producing any good results. I've watched the cricut DVD and read the manual, and I'm sure I'm preparing the sugar paste correctly, but the machine does a poor job everytime, often tearing and spoiling the effect of the shapes I'm selecting.

I've read in my manual that I can change the depth of the blade by turning the numbered dial above the blade assembly, but my assembly has no numbered dial. It just has a white plastic top that can't turn. Have I been shipped the wrong blade??? I've tried using slow speed and adjusted pressure, with paper thin material, but still no luck. Can anyone recommend any advice please?
Many thanks,
Karen
GayleWheaton1 Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 10:15:10 AM(UTC)
GayleWheaton1

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Hi Karen,
I'm so sorry that no one has answered you before this - not a very friendly welcome to the MB, I'm afraid!Blushing
One thing that PC really messed up on is that they used the wrong picture of a blade in their info with the Cake machine - you were given the correct blade, and no, you can't change the blade depth because of the fact that it's already made with a much larger/deeper cutting surface (to get through the fondant/gumpaste).
As for tearing your material, I'd guess that maybe your Speed was causing problems. Try slowing it down to a 1 or 2.
Also, they do say to cut at a minimum 3" - it's not paper, and complicated cuts will definitely be harder.
Another common problem is that you have to roll the fondant/gum paste REALLY thin - you actually want to see the lines of your Wilton mat (or the cake mat) through it. When you're rolling, it seems impossibly thin, but you'll be surprised at the thickness when you look at your item when it's cut out.
It also matters what you are cutting - often people have trouble with marshmallow fondant because it's so elastic and sometimes the Wilton fondant is tricky that way. Most everyone is happiest with a 50/50 mix of gumpaste/fondant. the GP adds some stiffness to the F and the F slows down the "brittleness" of the GP. One of my serious Cake students (I taught her the machine; she taught me about cake!) says that she thinks the Duff Icings that M's sells is a private label Satin Ice fondant (but you can use a coupon!!).
Right at the beginning, I'd say stick with pre-made things - if you make your own, the issues might be compounded differences in your mixtures -- so get used to the process before playing with the materials.
Also, it's important to not let your material dry out before cutting. If your cut lines have draggy marks , it means your icing is too dry. I've found that a 2 1/2 gallon ZipLock bag will fit an entire 12" mat, which can help some - so decide on size etc before putting the mat in - sometimes even that delay matters.
Depending upon your weather when you cut will also have an effect. At the store, our classroom has a powerful [AC] fan and sometimes it's about impossible to cut w/o it drying out too much. One thing that helps it to always check your blade - any bits of icing from a previous cut will be dry and hang up your nes material - I've had luck with running my blade through the pastry brush to get just a bit of Crisco on it.
The instructions also will say something about putting rolled out icings into the freezer, but remember that it's super dry in there and it's also likely to sweat when you take it out....
Sorry if this makes it seem like an uphill battle - but every home is different in temp & humidity - you'll discover what works best in your home..
Anyway, I hope this helps you get great results! If you have any other ????, just let me know!
 2 users thanked GayleWheaton1 for this useful post.
KarenRussell6 on 4/13/2011(UTC), LibertyLyn on 5/9/2011(UTC)