Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

JillBasel Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:57:30 AM(UTC)
JillBasel

Groups: Registered

Hey ya'll, I am wondering about something when using the Cricut (I have one sitting unopened since Black Friday; however, I use my MIL's all the time):

When making something that has layers, my MIL seems to cut out the shape in each color and then uses the parts she needs to put it all together. I feel like I am having a hard time describing the issue/question. Basically, it seems like she wastes a lot when something is layered for multiple colors. I asked her if there was a way to hit, change paper color, or something like that and she said no. Is this correct?

I am at work but I can add a more specific example later. I remember when we were making pumpkins for scrapbooking we had to cut from two different papers and ended up having all these extra parts.

I'm sorry this seems so confusing Confusedbut I am hoping to really start using my machine soon and I am helping my MIL make baby shower invites this weekend and I'd like to not waste if possible!

Thanks for the help!
CanadaJanice Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:02:09 AM(UTC)
CanadaJanice

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 66 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JillBasel Go to Quoted Post
Hey ya'll, I am wondering about something when using the Cricut (I have one sitting unopened since Black Friday; however, I use my MIL's all the time):

When making something that has layers, my MIL seems to cut out the shape in each color and then uses the parts she needs to put it all together. I feel like I am having a hard time describing the issue/question. Basically, it seems like she wastes a lot when something is layered for multiple colors. I asked her if there was a way to hit, change paper color, or something like that and she said no. Is this correct?

I am at work but I can add a more specific example later. I remember when we were making pumpkins for scrapbooking we had to cut from two different papers and ended up having all these extra parts.

I'm sorry this seems so confusing Confusedbut I am hoping to really start using my machine soon and I am helping my MIL make baby shower invites this weekend and I'd like to not waste if possible!

Thanks for the help!

Not an odd question!!

Unless you use Design Studio or Gypsy, you have to piece it as you describe. That is part of the reason I love my Gypsy; among its other benefits, I really think it saves me paper.

Edited by user Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:02:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Allie Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, April 01, 2011 7:12:40 PM(UTC)
Allie

Originally Posted by: CanadaJanice Go to Quoted Post
Not an odd question!!

Unless you use Design Studio or Gypsy, you have to piece it as you describe. That is part of the reason I love my Gypsy; among its other benefits, I really think it saves me paper.

I just got a Gypsy for my birthday and came across this post. I am obviously new to the device and was wondering if you could maybe explain how to do the different layers on the Gypsy? Can you delete some of the layer features in order to only get one item? I saw in one video how someone placed different colors of paper strips on the mat and cut it that way to get the different layers in different colors. Sorry if this is confusing, but thank you in advance for any help you can offer!!
RebeccaC Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, April 01, 2011 7:19:06 PM(UTC)
RebeccaC

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Yes, you can use the Gypsy to hide the bits that you don't want to cut.
CanadaJanice Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 7:32:33 AM(UTC)
CanadaJanice

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 66 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Allie Go to Quoted Post
I just got a Gypsy for my birthday and came across this post. I am obviously new to the device and was wondering if you could maybe explain how to do the different layers on the Gypsy? Can you delete some of the layer features in order to only get one item? I saw in one video how someone placed different colors of paper strips on the mat and cut it that way to get the different layers in different colors. Sorry if this is confusing, but thank you in advance for any help you can offer!!

I think I can help! There are a few things you can do:
Try using the "hide contour" button. Highlight the image that you want to edit, then tap the "hide contour"button, which is on the advanced tab, bottom right. You can them scroll through the lines of the cut using the silver buttons, hiding any lines you do not want to cut.
Sometimes the way the lines are designed doesn't allow this to happen. In that case, you can sometimes move the image on your mat so that the part you don't want in hanging off the edge. That way, it won't cut.

As for the different pieces of paper at the same time, I do it all the time. Figure out what you want to cut, and then arrange the cuts on the mat. Leave a bit of space between them, and then count how big the image is. You need pieces of paper big enough to fit the cut. Then count squares on the digital mat to see where the images are placed and put you pieces of paper in the same place on your real mat. It is really accurate. The only thing to be careful of is to make sure that you have the arrow on your mat facing the same way as the arrow on the Gypsy.

Hopefully that made sense. If not, just ask again!
Flamenco92627 Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 10:11:14 AM(UTC)
Flamenco92627

United States

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 214 post(s)
I think what you're asking, is if you have to cut out all of the layers in all of the colors? No, you don't.

You can put the different colors you need on your mat. Cut the one layer in its color, then when that is done, move the needle to the next layer's color and cut that, and so one.

So if you have a white basket with green leaves and red flowers, you would put those three colors of paper on your mat. Cut the basket out first on the white. Move your needle to the green paper and cut the leaves. Move your needle to the red and cut the flowers.

If I am totally misunderstanding, sorry! LOL

You don't need a gypsy or DS just to cut what is already on the carts.
scrapalette Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2011 1:13:58 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 18403 time(s) in 8177 post(s)
I think what the OP is referring to are the images that have more than one cut in them. Like this one from New Arrival and if so, then you use the Hide Contour feature to cut just the image(s) you want in the color you want:

a