Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

TinaLipscomb Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:01:37 PM(UTC)
TinaLipscomb

Groups: Registered

I just started using my Cricut Cake today. The machine works perfectly! I'm just having trouble with the fondant!
In addition to being new to Cricut, I'm new to fondant decorating. I've tried two recipes that have cut jagged, as though the machine is sort of pushing it around. This has happened on every combination of pressure and speed, especially when the design is input at a smaller size!
I know gum paste might cut better, but no one in my family is terribly fond of it!
Has anyone found a a recipe or method for cutting fondant with the Cricut Cake?

Thank you! Blushing

Edited by user Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:21:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Narelle Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:07:34 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 7611 time(s) in 3550 post(s)
First a disclaimer.... I don't have a Cricut Cake.....

But, I have seen one in operation and I thought you needed to freeze the fondant before you cut it.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of better answers from the ladies who do have a cake but I wanted to let you know about the FREE Online Cricut Cake class that Provocraft are putting on. Just book into a class that suits you. You'll be sent an email before the class to tell you how to access it.

Here's the link to the info: http://www.cricut.com/

Edited by user Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:08:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TinaLipscomb Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:18:09 PM(UTC)
TinaLipscomb

Thank you!
I'm trying freezing right now, but I've also realized the fondant I'm trying to cut might be just a tad too thick. We'll see.
GayleWheaton1 Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:34:26 PM(UTC)
GayleWheaton1

United States

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Hi Tina,
I've been teaching C Cake for over a year now, but frankly so few people have signed up that I'll only it by appointment now.
The best advice I ever heard about the gum paste & fondant was:
1) roll it very thin
2) Roll it again.
3) roll it until you can't roll any more!!LOL

Really, you want to roll it until you can see the lines on the mat through it!

I had a longer post about Cake Tips in an a thread by Karen (forgot her last name, sorry), if you can't find it, PM me and I'll look for it.
Most people have the best success with a half mixture of gum paste & fondant (GP makes it less stretchy & F makes the GP stay flexible longer). I found the PC gumpaste really easy to use - it didn't require any powdered sugar to be able to roll it out.
A 2 1/2 gallon bag will hold a 12" mat, so that can buy you a bit more time from the time you roll it out to actually cutting. (It dries pretty fast, and that will give you little drag marks along the cut line)
If you have a Cake Supply store nearby, I'd say go get some sheets of 'rice' or 'wafer' paper and put that on your mat (experiment to see if Crisco or a tiny bit of Piping Gel (mostly dry) will hold better for you. (the C worked really well in Monday's class, but other times it's been the Piping Gel - a super thin layer of it). When you have the material rolled out (& fondant is stretchy enough that you should lift it off of the mat between rolling it and then laying it back down so you can roll/stretch it again a bit bigger), lift it onto the rice paper and roll it directly onto the mat. Trim around it so that it won't go under the machine's wheels.
Load it, and then use the direction arrows to move the blade about 1/2" in from the edges. Usually, I use a speed of 1 or 2 and with the paper under it, maybe a 3 or 4 pressure.

Also, between cuts, remove the blade to make sure there aren't any bits of dried frosting to grab hold of the new material (and I also run the blade through the pastry brush with the C on it, so it will glide a bit easier at the beginning).

That's some of the things that should make it easier for you to get good cuts.
Hope it helps -
Happy Cricutting,
Gayle
P.S. We've found that freezing it doesn't work at all well - if you think about it, a freezer dries things out quickly, and when you take it out, it'll start to sweat, which causes a real mess -- just what we've experienced, and everyone's kitchen is a little different.
scrapalette Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, April 15, 2011 3:36:30 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 18452 time(s) in 8201 post(s)
There are lots of tips, tricks and recipes in the Cake forums too! BigGrin