Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Barbi Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 06, 2011 12:30:29 PM(UTC)
Barbi

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Okay, I am sure this has been posted before, however, I am at loss....
I have several cartridges (been seriously bitten by the bug LOL ).
I just can't seem to get the layering part down. I really don't understand the best and easy way to do this.
I have an E and DS and Gypsy (told you I went nuts). I got the E for X-mas, and still have not made a decent thing from it.
Seriously confused and would love to make something cool...
TIA for anything to help me.
Doxieluv01 Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 06, 2011 1:43:02 PM(UTC)
Doxieluv01

Was thanked: 2261 time(s) in 1788 post(s)
what problems are you having with the layering? what cart are you using? are you using the gypsy or the E by itself?
Barbi Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 06, 2011 1:57:58 PM(UTC)
Barbi

United States

An example could be of Tigger and I am using the DS -- i just dont get it, i dont have the real size dial on....
I just cant get which one would be what color...Make sense?
I am having a hard time layering them and making it fit...
Thanks for your reply btw :)
Berthaalvarez1 Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 9:00:46 PM(UTC)
Berthaalvarez1

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I am having the same problem. It took me all day to do Miss Kitty. I seem to get confused with when to cut the back and the front. I ended using my scisoors to make it. I am getting discouraged.
I don't think the instructions on the book of the cartridge is very easy to understand.
Barbi Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 11:07:12 PM(UTC)
Barbi

United States

I completely agree, the handbooks and the color choices really aren't a helpful guide which layer goes where and does what?
Yup right there with ya, at least we both know we are not alone!
6thprentontawnyowld26b3dd9 Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 4:23:04 AM(UTC)
6thprentontawnyowld26b3dd9

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 59 post(s)
I hope this helps you , i only have a little bug but the e works the same way , after putting the cart in the machine and the rubber mat on top i get out the book for pooh if you are using that one, i then start with the main part of the thing you want to cut this is the one on the left of the book in the coloured background square i normaly cut this out in black . step 2 next for the layers on the right of the book you have 6 little squares these relate to the 6 creative feature buttons on the top left of the rubber overlay you will see that each then tallies back to the different layers in the little boxes to get these layers you press the one you want to get the colour in thr bottom right of the box eg tiggers head on page 27 you would put orange card into to be cut for the top of his head hair . step 3 now you need the yellow part so keep the layers 1 and 2 button pressed so its light up to get this to cut you also need to press the shift key bottom lift on the keyboard , this will only stay lit for the one cut if you want to cut more than 1 at the same time press the shift lock but remember to press it again if you are cutting the thing in the bottom right or press the reset all on the middle left . when you want the next one layers 3 and 4 press the button saying this and place into the machine the pink and then cut then the red but dont forgget to press the shift to get it to cut the tounge and place in the red card . continue untill all layers are cut then start sticking together i find that the smallest that i would make them on my machine is 3.5 as the peices then go to small on sometimes you will see people have got a white gell pen to colour the eyes in . hope this makes it a bit easier , if you get stuck i find it good to go to the cart on the mb and see what others have made also if you just have a play around with some cheep paper first just to get a rough idea on sizes and to see what cuts what i still do this as many things dont come out the size you think it will , hope this helps you lisa
 1 user thanked 6thprentontawnyowld26b3dd9 for this useful post.
Barbi on 4/11/2011(UTC)
wannaBscrappin' Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 06, 2011 6:55:16 AM(UTC)
wannaBscrappin'

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Layering can be difficult! The main object should be in the color that you choose. For instance Elmo would be red. Shadow can be any other color and serves as your base for your cut out. A nice effect would be perhaps to shadow Elmo in white or black. I did Elmo "square" from Elmo font. I shadowed in black. I did "layer" in red & "layer shift" once in white & once in yellow shade. I then assembled to match the image. The Cricut Expression is the most helpful tool, as it will reinforce your choices by showing you what you are going to be cutting!

One more option to consider is checking with your local scrapbook stores as well as Michael's & Hobby Lobby for possible learning opportunities as many offer classes! Please don't give up as this is one of the most rewarding & fun crafts you can do!
 1 user thanked wannaBscrappin' for this useful post.
Barbi on 4/11/2011(UTC)
GayleWheaton1 Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 10:40:38 AM(UTC)
GayleWheaton1

United States

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Hi Barbi,
I hope that by now you've got a real handle on this layering thing! But if I may put in my $.02 worth:
I think you'd understand it a lot better if you made one item w/o DS first. Just to get the hang of it with your machine, and then it'll be easier with DS. You'll also be much happier at 5 - 7" at first.
The important thing to remember is that all of the Disney/cartoon characters were pen & ink drawings, they were never meant to be cut out! So to get the proper look, you have to have a bit of black showing between each colored piece (the pen outline). And remember not to change the size dial AT ALL!
I always open the handbook to the character I'm cutting to double check I haven't missed something and to decide on the colors.
First you need to make the "base" figure (NOT the shadow - the one shown on the keypad itself - it has lots of cut 'slits' that will serve as a placement guide for the colored pieces)in black.
Next, chose your colors and remember it's really easy to put several colors on your mat and then just use the direction arrows to move to them - it saves time and adhesive on your mat (since you are cutting papers down to approximate sizes instead of using full mats of paper).
With the Pooh handbook, they call the first Creative Feature "Layers 1/ Layers 2" and the difference is that you need the Shift button for the upper piece [Layer2]. Work your way through the needed pieces for the character (and remember, the Icon/ Icon shadow is not needed for the character and is cut with a totally different sizing than your character).
Don't glue until you have everything cut out, because you need to find out which piece the slit is for. You have to place the major pieces - unglued - to figure this out. If you guess wrong (by glueing as you cut), you may end up with colored pieces going off of the black base entirely!
After you have your character put together, then you can decide if you want a shadow or not.
I hope this helps you - layering is what makes all of our Cricut images so special!!!
 1 user thanked GayleWheaton1 for this useful post.
Barbi on 4/11/2011(UTC)
Barbi Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 5:05:58 PM(UTC)
Barbi

United States

Originally Posted by: GayleWheaton1 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Barbi,
I hope that by now you've got a real handle on this layering thing! But if I may put in my $.02 worth:
I think you'd understand it a lot better if you made one item w/o DS first. Just to get the hang of it with your machine, and then it'll be easier with DS. You'll also be much happier at 5 - 7" at first.
The important thing to remember is that all of the Disney/cartoon characters were pen & ink drawings, they were never meant to be cut out! So to get the proper look, you have to have a bit of black showing between each colored piece (the pen outline). And remember not to change the size dial AT ALL!
I always open the handbook to the character I'm cutting to double check I haven't missed something and to decide on the colors.
First you need to make the "base" figure (NOT the shadow - the one shown on the keypad itself - it has lots of cut 'slits' that will serve as a placement guide for the colored pieces)in black.
Next, chose your colors and remember it's really easy to put several colors on your mat and then just use the direction arrows to move to them - it saves time and adhesive on your mat (since you are cutting papers down to approximate sizes instead of using full mats of paper).
With the Pooh handbook, they call the first Creative Feature "Layers 1/ Layers 2" and the difference is that you need the Shift button for the upper piece [Layer2]. Work your way through the needed pieces for the character (and remember, the Icon/ Icon shadow is not needed for the character and is cut with a totally different sizing than your character).
Don't glue until you have everything cut out, because you need to find out which piece the slit is for. You have to place the major pieces - unglued - to figure this out. If you guess wrong (by glueing as you cut), you may end up with colored pieces going off of the black base entirely!
After you have your character put together, then you can decide if you want a shadow or not.
I hope this helps you - layering is what makes all of our Cricut images so special!!!

WOW! You rock!!! I am gonna try this and will let you know how it goes, probably this weekend as I have a really busy schedule between work & home! Thanks again and a big Tigger bouncy hug from me, as my friends would sayBigGrin BigGrin
GayleWheaton1 Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:03:54 PM(UTC)
GayleWheaton1

United States

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 39 post(s)
BigGrin That made me feel very good to have you say that!! BigGrin I'm not a fast typer, and I'm really glad that someone read it and thought it was useful - since I've been living & breathing Cricut for 5 years now, I've always thought of myself as a "Bug Guide" before the MB ever used the phrase!Blushing
If you have any other questions, let me know!
Gayle
Barbi Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:13:51 PM(UTC)
Barbi

United States

Thanks again and I look forward to playing this weekend BigGrin