Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

NewbieCrafter Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 26, 2011 7:12:08 PM(UTC)
NewbieCrafter

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 236 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a Cricut Expression. It was a bundle deal so it came with two cartridges: Plantin School Book and Accent Essentials. I also received a 12x12 and 12x24 cutting board. With the package deal I received the Jukebox, tool kit, Gypsy, and design studio (I have a Mac - so I returned the design studio). I went on a huge haul and bought 12x12 paper bundles (thin paper) and 12x12 cardstock bundles, but everything has patterns. I also purchased about 10 ribbon spools, envelopes, a Xyron 500, Zig pen, Elmers dot stamper, and an adhesive glue runner. Michaels had a deal today so I purchased "Simply Charmed" at 62% off! To round things up, I ended up purchasing a corner cutter, and Fiskars paper cutter. Just like another member stated...I fell in love with the Cricut in a paid advertisement on TV, and waited till I found a good deal. I'm probably one of very few men who got bit by the cricut "bug".

Are there any products that I MUST have? I mean, any products that you can't live without? Every time I feel like I have it all, I find out there is more to purchase. Currently I am a hall director at a small college. I have a staff of 11 RAs, so I plan on making their doortags as well as the occasional bulletin board. Next year I could have between 13 and 15 RAs, so that allows me to utilize the Cricut even more! I added that information because I really don't have a "craft room" I can set up since the on-campus apartment includes my bedroom, kitchen, living room (currently sharing its space with the Cricut) and my bathroom.

In addition, is there a way to find other Cricutites (?), Cricuters (?), Cricutians (?) Huh near me? I'm currently overwhelmed by the videos and tutorials (even though I can't stop watching them). Any help will be very much appreciated.

Craft on!

Edited by user Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:43:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: updated information

gcmcevoy Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 26, 2011 10:02:09 PM(UTC)
gcmcevoy

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 702 time(s) in 607 post(s)
Ian welcome!
You really have gotten bitten BADDDDD!LOL
There area lot of wonderfully talented,helpful people on the board who will help you spend your moneyLOL . Hope you check out all the forums to get ideas . We do have several guys who post from time to time so although it's usually a hen party around here it's fun too.

If you have a gypsy you reallydont need the juke box and the DS . Craft room is not up and running yet and I think it will take sometime for them to get it working at full speed.
By the way you should know that third party cutting programs will void your year warranty on you E and since this is a Provo craft board the "Other"programs are not really discussed here.
About the only suggestions I could make for you to get would be an ATG tape gun(ok, it's pink but they have one in a manly red but it's a different number)and would suggest the xyron X for the small cuts like letters.
Well welcome again and don't be shy ask questions and have fun!
 1 user thanked gcmcevoy for this useful post.
NewbieCrafter on 2/26/2011(UTC)
Narelle Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 26, 2011 10:02:58 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 7593 time(s) in 3543 post(s)
Wow & Welcome!!!!

With that haul I think the first thing I'd be asking for is a two bedroom apartment!! LOL

I'm sure you'll get lots of "must haves" advice here. We are GREAT enablers.....

Not sure where you live. Let us know - there's bound to be someone in your area!
 1 user thanked Narelle for this useful post.
NewbieCrafter on 2/26/2011(UTC)
NewbieCrafter Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:55:24 PM(UTC)
NewbieCrafter

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I appreciate the feedback and have updated my profile. I'm in upstate NY. Michael's and Joann Fabrics will more than likely know me by name soon. :)

I've been thinking about getting an ATG gun, because in a lot of the tutorials I see people using it.

Great point about third party and voiding warranty, sometimes I don't know where my heads at. The program wouldn't open on my computer, never got to use it, so i deleted it anyhow. Cricut Craft Room should take a lot of the headache away when it's up and running - can't wait!

And, yes, a 2 bedroom would be WONDERFUL! :) Hopefully if all goes according to plan, I'll be in a two bedroom on-campus apartment next year. It all depends if I take over that "zone" of halls and must move to be in that vicinity of campus. Cross your fingers I get that apartment! BigGrin

Are there specific websites that cater to specific cardstock? Joann and Michael's sometimes have small quantities... I'd also like to get a Cuttlebug when I save up the money.
sweetpea1030 Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 1:06:29 AM(UTC)
sweetpea1030

Was thanked: 1604 time(s) in 1019 post(s)
Welcome to the MB, Ian!BigGrin

You have entered into the world of Cricuteers. All of the usual enabler warnings suggested for newbies have just flown out the window with you. Maybe you should step away from the caffeine!!!!
BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

1 user thanked sweetpea1030 for this useful post.
NewbieCrafter on 2/27/2011(UTC)
MamaC2 Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 4:38:36 AM(UTC)
MamaC2

Was thanked: 3512 time(s) in 1755 post(s)
Ian, welcome to the message board!ThumpUp Looks like you are set to start crafting with all your new toys! Please post pictures of your projects. We live for pictures of projects from our MB friends!

Be sure to check out the Cricut Circle!

The more you create, the more you buy!!LOL
 1 user thanked MamaC2 for this useful post.
Missie Todd Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 6:59:50 AM(UTC)
Missie Todd

Was thanked: 1596 time(s) in 648 post(s)
Welcome Ian! You have joined the secret club we don't want our husbands/ boyfriends to know about. You are now sworn to complete secrecy when it comes to what we all own, how much we spend, and how many goodies we own that we never use. This is a land where few men have dared to enter. I do hope you will stay and share your crafting and inspiration with us, but know that you will be questioned as a spy on a regular basis LOL

ok...I'm a bit of a jokester, so please take this with the humor that is intended.
 1 user thanked Missie Todd for this useful post.
cowspot4321 Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 7:12:30 AM(UTC)
cowspot4321

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Welcome...I can't wait to see your projects...
if you haven't already my suggestion would be to visit Michael's and Hobby Lobby's websites for their coupons...you will love a cuttlebug, happy crafting
Nancy

edit to say Joann's

Edited by user Sunday, February 27, 2011 7:14:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked cowspot4321 for this useful post.
DeborahSchulberger Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:26:44 AM(UTC)
DeborahSchulberger

Hi.. I, too, my new with the CRICUT machine. I have been playing around with it and tryin to do different crafts. I know it is going to be fun, but I have been trying to see where classes are being held - I need visual direction. I live in Philadelphia and surrounding areas,but would also go to NJ.
I know about buying products, cause I am doing the same. I would love to be able to teach at schools and hold classes. Anyway, keep in touch. thanks
MichiganStateSpartan Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:57:50 AM(UTC)
MichiganStateSpartan

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Welcome!
Get the small Xyron 150. We call it the X.
Definitely the ATG & there is a red one from framingsupplies.com. It is still the 714.
Extra blades & mats, mainly mats. Clean the mats with a baby wipe when they no longer are sticky. It will revitalize them somewhat. Keep the plastic cover on it.
As for other crafters in your area, look for a meetup.com or ask in the cricut chat. There is no where on the new mb for specific areas.

Melissa-I got rid of my need for a secret society. BigGrin We won't talk about the fact that he hasn't paid support in 14 months....Cursing
 1 user thanked MichiganStateSpartan for this useful post.
barbarastewart1 Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 9:07:12 AM(UTC)
barbarastewart1

United States

Was thanked: 11040 time(s) in 3015 post(s)
WELCOME IAN ... prepare yourself for the FUN ahead. I only wish I lived closer cuz you sound like A LOT OF FUN TO SHOP WITH!!! Check into the MB (Message Board, oh yeah, you have to learn ALL the LINGO now too, don't be afraid to ask) as often as you can - there's LOADS of talent here and they share - BEWARE THO - there are also LOTS of "Enablers"
(I say this laughing) because it is so uplifting - you'll hear about new stuff, sales, best places to purchase things and clever uses of things you already have - no shortage of inspirations. Oh, and helpful coupons too.
I LOVE my ATG and highly recommend it. Also, love my Tim Holtz scissors and crop-a-dile. Oh yeah, and be sure to get the yellow 'n black tweezers (they're called "Bee" something or other) - well, and their scissors are excellent too.
Okay - See you around "campus" - HAVE FUN FUN FUN.
 1 user thanked barbarastewart1 for this useful post.
SkyCandy Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 9:21:44 AM(UTC)
SkyCandy

United States

Was thanked: 334 time(s) in 248 post(s)
Welcome Ian. Here is my favorite paper. I also order a lot from Joann's online. Sometimes we get free shipping codes to share. Core'dinations paper cuts great on the cricuts and the core is the same color of the paper so no white edges show after you cut something! Take a look
http://www.joann.com/joa...ction.jsp.narrowresults1

Now about drama. It never happens on this MB. We have heard that it happens on other Message Boards but no such thing here. LOL
 1 user thanked SkyCandy for this useful post.
SkyCandy Offline
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 9:30:09 AM(UTC)
SkyCandy

United States

Was thanked: 334 time(s) in 248 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DeborahSchulberger Go to Quoted Post
Hi.. I, too, my new with the CRICUT machine. I have been playing around with it and tryin to do different crafts. I know it is going to be fun, but I have been trying to see where classes are being held - I need visual direction. I live in Philadelphia and surrounding areas,but would also go to NJ.
I know about buying products, cause I am doing the same. I would love to be able to teach at schools and hold classes. Anyway, keep in touch. thanks

Welcome Deborah!
AndreaSheldon1 Offline
#14 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 9:35:32 AM(UTC)
AndreaSheldon1

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Welcome Deborah and Ian!

I find the best way to learn is to have a kid (or someone with ADD) around you. I've learned the most by having people come in my room and just start pressing buttons and saying, "Hey, what happens when you do this?" It's a great education!

I just ordered tons of paper from papertrey.com and am very pleased. I find the cheaper paper doesn't cut as well as the thicker stuff.

Stay away from one sided card stock if you can help it. It rarely gets used.

An ATG gun is a must! I'm going to get my daughter her own so mine can get used by ME for a change.

Enjoy the forum and use it often!
~Andrea
 1 user thanked AndreaSheldon1 for this useful post.
cowgirl1hh Offline
#15 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 9:59:53 AM(UTC)
cowgirl1hh

Netherlands

Was thanked: 19815 time(s) in 4864 post(s)
Welcome Ian and Deborah!

I think the other cricuteers have done enough enabling for now so all I have to say is "Hello."
 1 user thanked cowgirl1hh for this useful post.
AmandaSmith23 Offline
#16 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:33:54 AM(UTC)
AmandaSmith23

Was thanked: 476 time(s) in 296 post(s)
Well, my advice is to take all of the money out of your wallet and just GIVE IT to the craft stores, both online and actual stores!

Now, here are some places I like to get cartridges, which you will obsessively buy from now til the end of time!
Ebay, Custom Crops, Papercrafting Pro (it's has a membership thing but you can get a 2 day free trial when they have great sales--other members will check the price for you if you ask nicely!)and occasionally Michael's and Joann's will have sales. Don't pay too much; be patient.

Oh, you should buy a Cuttlebug! It's great!
 1 user thanked AmandaSmith23 for this useful post.
EnableMe Offline
#17 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 11:59:04 AM(UTC)
EnableMe

Was thanked: 373 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Welcome, Ian!

There are several online retailers that often have great sales on Cricut cartridges. Two that come to mind are cricutmachine.com and diecutcentral.com. They will occasionally have all but the newest cartridges for under $20. I always check multiple online stores before ordering to be sure I'm getting the best price.

Happy crafting!
 1 user thanked EnableMe for this useful post.
scraphappybette Offline
#18 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 12:45:13 PM(UTC)
scraphappybette

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Welcome Ian and Deborah!!
We're a great bunch of enablers here!!
Have fun!!
 1 user thanked scraphappybette for this useful post.
Sing&Scrap Offline
#19 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 12:53:48 PM(UTC)
Sing&Scrap

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 327 post(s)
Welcome!!! This board is great and you should visit some of the members' blogs for tutorials and great ideas. I buy most of my cartridges on Ebay and try not to pay more than $20-22 for them. It can definitely be addicting!! I'm trying to make myself use my new toys (cuttlebug and Imagine....) and not buy but it's not working yet!

Hope you have fun making all those doortags!
 1 user thanked Sing&Scrap for this useful post.
NewbieCrafter Offline
#20 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 4:01:12 PM(UTC)
NewbieCrafter

You all are too much fun! Thanks for all the welcome's, tips, and luck! I tried to "thank" everyone I could but sometimes I'd push the "thank" button and it wouldn't work. I'm currently working on Gift tags that I'll attach to this post. I'll also head over to the other subsection of the MB and upload some photos of my projects. Trust me, they aren't elaborate by any means. Some I'm embarrassed to show! Anyway, thanks for all your feedback and I'm looking forward to utilizing the MB more and more!

Here are the gift tags (which I'll use remaining letters for an "alphabet soup" get-well card). The second file is a 12x12 framed project that simply thanks all of them for their hard work. I'm the one lying on the table with the beard and my staff is all behind me.

Thanks again!

Edited by user Sunday, February 27, 2011 4:06:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: updated information

File Attachment(s):
IMG_3986.JPG (2,438kb) downloaded 36 time(s).
IMG_3985.JPG (2,367kb) downloaded 35 time(s).
 3 users thanked NewbieCrafter for this useful post.
gcmcevoy on 2/27/2011(UTC), SkyCandy on 3/1/2011(UTC), greengirl (Michele) on 3/1/2011(UTC)
Doxieluv01 Offline
#21 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 4:23:18 PM(UTC)
Doxieluv01

Was thanked: 2261 time(s) in 1788 post(s)
Ian your projects turned out great!! Welcome to the messageboard. Can't wait to see what else you come up with!!!
 1 user thanked Doxieluv01 for this useful post.
sweetpea1030 Offline
#22 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 6:58:07 PM(UTC)
sweetpea1030

Was thanked: 1604 time(s) in 1019 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DeborahSchulberger Go to Quoted Post

!!ENABLER ALERT!!

Welcome to the MB, Deborah!BigGrin

Since you mentioned you were a visual person, you may be interested in this. It contains a set of 10 DVDs with instructional projects and a free cricut for $219.

http://www.4cricutdvd.com/?source=pc-internal