Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

britishdoll161985 Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 7:02:08 PM(UTC)
britishdoll161985

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So months and months ago i was wide awake at 3am with my newborn twins feeding them and i seen this awesome paid advertisement about a cricut and all the cool things it can do. I waited until i had money in my budget and i went shopping for one.
So in total i bought a
Cricut Expression
27 cartridges (all in one go)
A gypsy
A cuttle bug
The design studio.
Then a week later before i even got all my cricut stuff in the mail i bought some more cartridges, and a Cricut cake and a Your Story.

I got my cricut in the mail and it was broken, but they are sending me a new one and it should be here ANY day now.

I think i just went on a major spending frenzy because i have never done a single craft in my life, nor done a single scrapbook. On top of all my Cricut products i also spend hundreds of dollars on paper, Stickers, and all other things to do scrap booking with.
Ladies, did i go over board on this?, because i got so overwhelmed when i got all my stuff that i just don't know where to start.
I have boxes after boxes coming to my house and i don't have a single idea on what to start making first.
I built me a nice little craft room, and i have some of it set up, just waiting on my cricut to come back.
Does anyone have any craft ideas on where to start. I was so excited, now I'm just bumped out because i feel i don't have a single crafty bone in my body..lol

Natalie
Afp Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 7:28:37 PM(UTC)
Afp

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Don't be overwhelmed, check some of the posts on this site with pictures, you will get the flow going. There is no right or wrong, it is your personal taste and style. I am not real creative either, but it will come to you. Enjoy!
 1 user thanked Afp for this useful post.
britishdoll161985 on 2/21/2011(UTC)
Doxieluv01 Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 7:53:44 PM(UTC)
Doxieluv01

Was thanked: 2261 time(s) in 1788 post(s)
Sounds like you've been bitten by the bug!!!!! Welcome to the wonderful world of cricut.

I would say start with one thing at a time. when your cricut arrives "play" with it. Try to cut things out and learn the functions without any particular project in mind. Once you get a feel for it try a project posted in one of your cartridge handbooks. Then find a project online that you like and try to replicate it. Then learn the gypsy, design studio etc.

Also check out some of the online videos and tutorials

www.mypinkstamper.com has a whole bunch of online tutorials on using your cricut
http://cardcreationsbylorraine.blogspot.com/ LorraineB has a lot of project tutorials on making specific things

there aren't any rules when it comes to scrapbooking, cardmaking etc. So you make what works for you. You can always scraplift (copy) someone else's projects until you get comfortable with coming up with your own ideas. When you scraplift you might like a particular way pictures are laid out but not necessarily the emebelishments so you can scraplift part or the whole project.

And of course come here to the messageboard and ask questions everyone is very helpful. If you haven't already take a trip around the messageboard and check out some of the other forums.
ChirpChirp Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 8:01:29 PM(UTC)
ChirpChirp

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Best of Luck to you!

I'm sure your twins will be of great inspiration!
britishdoll161985 Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 8:07:59 PM(UTC)
britishdoll161985

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thank you so so much
Yah that bug bit me pretty hard.
I'm working my way around the board right now to learn my way around this site.
everyone at work was so happy that i got a cricut because they wanted me to design a board in the back. Well seen as mine came broken, my manager let me use hers. I don't like what i created and i think it looks awful :(

scrapnfan Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 11:10:49 PM(UTC)
scrapnfan

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 215 post(s)
Like the others have said. It'll get easier the more you work with it. I just Love mine ! Always feel free to come here to the MB for any questions. Everyone is always so great to help ! Welcome to the Cricut world ! ! !
Anna
enolamom Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:50:32 AM(UTC)
enolamom

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 56 post(s)
First, congratulations on your beautiful babies. I'm surprised you can find an extra second in the day to do any non-baby related things. But assuming you can, you could start with some very simple cuts of the baby's names. Maybe then embellish them with some stickers that you bought, or use some of your cartridges to cut flowers, animals, etc. You could add pics of the babies of course and it could be the start of scrapbooks for them, or you could frame them for room decorations. You could also make cards which are smaller and simple to start with. I totally agree with "scraplifting". It's such a good way to get started when you aren't sure where to begin. I guess you've found all the forums for tips, getting started, cards, scrapbooking, etc. on here. You can get so many good ideas right here, but also check out people's blogs. You'll see lots of people have them and they are indicated at the bottoms of their posts. If you need more visual help, you can go to youtube and type in the name of a cartridge. Any related videos will come up and you can easily choose one that will guide you thru the process. You could also type in things like "cricut layering" or "Cuttlebug" and get so much help. Congrats again and good luck.
PoeticGmama Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:00:16 AM(UTC)
PoeticGmama

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 32 post(s)
I'd say let Youtube be your guide. You can sit and watch a video while your feeding the babies or while they nap (though you should probably be napping too)

On Youtube.com you can put in Cricut tutorials, cricut and scrapbooking, cuttlebug cricut, any name of a cartridge for example (Hoot n Holler cricut cartridge) or just put in cardmaking for scrapbooking. There is a vast amount of tutorials, guides, samples, ideas, etc to watch.

I can imagine getting all that craft stuff at once and being overwhelmed by it all. The good thing is now that you have it, you can learn how to use it at your own pace.

You may even wanna make a scrapbook for each girls milestones. Take pics and note on the back whats goin on in the picture and the date in case you fall behind.

Once you get the hang of it you'll be flying high...Enjoy your new goodies.
gcmcevoy Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:50:18 AM(UTC)
gcmcevoy

United States

Was thanked: 702 time(s) in 607 post(s)
First welcome! Hope you are inspired by the many talented ladies and gentlemen her. I understand where you are coming from it is all so new and you really want to get going and make these fabulous things right away,which you can it just takes a little time at first. You will find once you learn your machines how quick it is to cut your pieces out and put together especially once you have your gypsy up and running.you can plan exactly where and what size the paper should be.it saves so much time . I think that you need to remember that you need to embellish your cuts, I think that makes the difference between a good project and a great one. I have found that a black sharpie marker does wonders for a project! When I do the hall bb at my school I use the sharpie to highlight the accent lines like the mouth or shoulder fronts where ever there is a slit on a piece I highlight it with the marker at adds demention and makes the cut pop a little more. There are tons of embellishing ideas here from stick els to pro markers and glimmer mist if you need help or ideas of how to use it the folks here will help you in a flash!
Finally try not to be too harsh on your self(I know how you feel when you make something and don't think it's good. Most people are impressed with what you make because they don't take the time to do anything like it themselvesBigGrin ) just have fun and the rest will come!
JennyGibson1 Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 7:46:58 AM(UTC)
JennyGibson1

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Congratulations on your babies. First piece of advice, never pay full price for anything. You can almost always find what you want on sale. Plus the craft stores have preferred shopper programs, sign up for those. You can also get coupons online. You will already spend a fortune at 40% off. Laugh
Creations by Christina has fabulous gypsy tutorials. You tube has great how to cricut tutorials. It is intimidating at first but after spending a couple days watching the videos you will be a pro in no time. Also the message board has a cartridge section. Look up the cartridges that you have to get ideas. Start small, you don't need to knock out a five star page on your first try. You will find at first that scrapbooking with stickers will be helpful but as time goes on you will see that you can make most of that stuff with your cricut. Also make sure that you register all your cartridges for your free points. It will be under cricut rewards. Good luck and have fun.
luvmyE&G Offline
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:06:11 AM(UTC)
luvmyE&G

United States

Was thanked: 1356 time(s) in 700 post(s)
Boy oh boy that's a lot to start with! I would say definitely organize your craft room. Make it functional for you and easy access to your items so remember all the things you have. Then dive right in! Watch You Tube videos- My Pink Stamper has amazing beginning video's. The BugBytes one of our wonderful Bug Guides has an incredible blog and is our Gypsy guru. Take a class at a LSS (local scrapbook store) - A lot of people right here on this board teach classes at those stores and are a wealth of information.

When I first received my Expression I was overwhelmed I didn't know where to start and I found just by diving in and being open to new ideas my crafting has been taken to a level I knew it could go.

Have fun and welcome to the MB : )
KY Scrapper Offline
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:34:11 AM(UTC)
KY Scrapper

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 20 post(s)
BigGrin Britishdoll, I am so very happy for you!!! Welcome to the wonderful world of Cricut, you are in for a ride like no other. ENJOY!!!
TammiReynolds Offline
#13 Posted : Saturday, March 05, 2011 9:52:05 AM(UTC)
TammiReynolds

I was hoping to learn somethings when I saw your title of your post. I have my expression and don't use it but am on a mission to learn to use it. I have 3 boys and have never really scrapped for them just for others.
I always took a picture each month so I could do a little scrapbook of the changes they made in the first year so maybe this could be a starting point. You could plan 12 pages, in your case 24, for the first year then each month place the new photo on it and your done. I am sure there is a duplicate button because I think I have read that some place. Good luck and hopefully we will both be quick learners. Tammi