Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

marguerite Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 12, 2011 8:50:15 PM(UTC)
marguerite

Groups: Registered

Hi, I was using a new cutting mat for some red metallic paper. Unfortunately after I finished the cut there was a brown fiber all over the mat from the back of the paper. After scrapping it off with the cricut spatula the mat is no longer sticky. Well I won’t buy this type of paper anymore, but is there anything that I can do to revive the stickiness on this new cutting mat? Thanks for any tips and advice.
TU Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 12, 2011 9:01:39 PM(UTC)
TU

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 52 post(s)
I think it depends if you scrapped the glue off.

I don't know if there is a right way...but what I did was... I just cleaned it in the same manner that I have cleaned things that have a renewable sticky silicone layer.

When my mat lost all it's stickiness because of all the paper fibers stuck to it, I washed it off under luke warm water with a little bit of liquid soap (I just used hand soap since I just happened to be doing it over the washroom sink). I used my cricut scrapper to gently coax the fibers off of the glue - being careful not to scrap the glue off too. I rinsed it with just water until it ran clear (no suds). Then, I shook off as much water as I could (most of it) and then used my hair dryer to dry the rest.

After that, it was back to being sticky again. HTH
 1 user thanked TU for this useful post.
marguerite on 2/13/2011(UTC)
sweetpea1030 Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 1:22:40 AM(UTC)
sweetpea1030

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 1604 time(s) in 1019 post(s)
That's a really good suggestion from TU. Some folks also recommend using a baby wipe to clean the mat to make it sticky again.

If your machine is under warranty, you want to be careful not to use suggestions to remove the sticky completely and then redo it with various products. If you're interested in doing that, you can check YouTube. There are several videos there on how to resticky your mat. Just make sure your warranty is up because using those methods will void your warranty. HTH

Confused
 1 user thanked sweetpea1030 for this useful post.
LisaDePugh Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 5:57:50 AM(UTC)
LisaDePugh

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 215 post(s)
The mats don't lose their tackiness because the glue comes off, it's because the paper fibers stick to it. Just wash it off gently with lukewarm water and a mild soap then allow to air dry. After they are dry keep the plastic sheet over it so dust and other environmentals don't get to it. You really should have at least 2 (preferably 4) mats available to use. That way when 1 or 2 are air drying you still have 1 or 2 to use. If you're going to a crop or something the non-alcohol wipes do work great. And they don't remove the glue. The washing over and over will eventually take off the glue and you will have to replace your mats. Don't throw them away though. You can use them to make stencil material or wait until your warranty is up and re-tack them with ACID-FREE repositionable adhesive spray. Just mask off the edges first.
 1 user thanked LisaDePugh for this useful post.
Shelby Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 8:27:31 AM(UTC)
Shelby

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I have detales on my blog how to make your mat sticky again. I've used the same mat for over 2 years now. The only time I throw them away is when I see daylight coming threw them lol.
 1 user thanked Shelby for this useful post.
marguerite Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 6:28:40 PM(UTC)
marguerite

Thank you so much for all the great tips. i think that i did take the glue right off the mat when i was taking the fibre off. i will have to purchase one of these scrappers. for some reason i seem to have lots of tools but not that one. if the mat is not reuseable after washing i will try to use a spray. thanks again. mc
jomeyer1 Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 7:50:14 PM(UTC)
jomeyer1

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

I wash mine in the sink with Dawn Soap. I let it dry, then use Zig's 2 Way Glue (The one with the large top)
Works great. But, again, be careful of the warranty.

Penguin Collector Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 8:58:03 PM(UTC)
Penguin Collector

United States

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 147 post(s)
Go here to see a video on resticking mats. Remember about the warranty!! If your machine is still under warranty, wait till it expires to do this.
http://scrappinwithmybug....com/search/label/videos
You need to scroll almost all the way down.
My Cricut is 2 years old, so I have done this many times and LOVE the results!!
GayleWheaton1 Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2011 12:24:23 PM(UTC)
GayleWheaton1

United States

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Hi Marguerite,
Yes, washing your mats will do a lot to get those pesky fibers off! Because I happen to be rather lazy BigGrin I usually wait until I have several mats to clean before I head into the kitchen! Just use a cheap/flat sponge with lukewarm water and go over the mat and then I move on to a couple mats (letting the fibers have a couple minutes to soak up the water and get "fat" so they are easier to remove when you wipe over them the second time). If they are either a bit stubborn or have left a color on the mat, I'll tap my sponge onto the top of my dishwashing liquid and very gently rub it. Just hold the mat under the tap to rinse it clean and then I let my mats air dry. I also wash off the cover sheets at the same time.

If your mat isn't filled with the paper fibers, but is losing the tack, what you can do is use about 1" pieces of painter's tape (the blue roll) to tape your paper onto your mat. Usually just at the 4 corners (top & bottom to avoid having it in the wheel tracks along the sides) will work great. Since it's low-tack, it won't rip up your paper and you can even tape inside the adhesive area (when you want to put several smaller papers on your mat) and it won't pull off your adhesive. The other great thing about this is that if you accidently have it in the way of your blade -- the machine acts as if it's not there!

Keeping in mind about the warranty if you add adhesive, this method allows to use your mats without adding anything to your adhesive!!

Have fun!!
Autumn Offline
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 19, 2011 7:14:32 AM(UTC)
Autumn

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
One trick I use, if it's obvious there are fibers left from a project, is a lint roller. It pulls the "fuzz" right up without any damage to the mat itself. Using the scraper, I usually DO end up pulling at least some of my sticky off my mat (the edges of my scraper are gunky and tacky LOL). I have a couple of mats that are about on their last legs (they've lasted a good year and a half, though!), so I will have to try the re-sticky ideas posted here. How long is the warranty on the E? I've had mine for 2+ years, but wonder if it's still under warranty before I do that....