Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

AmandaWason Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:31:19 PM(UTC)
AmandaWason

Groups: Registered

I see all these beautiful designs used with the cartridges that I have! BUT Mine never look like those beautiful ones. My question is for those designs with different colors (ex: a shirt or shoes on the lady in the sweethearts cart) How do you do that? Do you just cut them out with different color paper and then just piece them together? Thanks for the help!!!
enolamom Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:09:00 PM(UTC)
enolamom

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 56 post(s)
BigGrin A short while ago, I was in the same boat as you are now. I had no idea about layering and I still have a lot to learn, although I'm improving each time. The short answer is yes, you cut out the main piece then cut accessories out of different papers, attaching them with a glue pen or your favorite adhesive. I could only suggest using some inexpensive cardstock and play a little with that, so that you don't ruin your "good stuff". People on here are loads of help but it CAN be intimidating to see their beautiful work. I can only hope to be half as good someday.
Youtube.com was suggested to me as a good place to find "how to's". You can type in something like "Cricut layering" and lots of videos will show up that will help get you started. Did you notice the project in the beginning of the handbook? Me neither, haha. I thought I could just skip that part, but maybe it would help you. Good luck. It's addicting Laugh
GayleWheaton1 Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2011 12:07:21 PM(UTC)
GayleWheaton1

United States

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Hi Amanda,
Yes, we get to personalize all of the images by choosing our own papers to cut our projects -- it's SO much fun!!
Most cartridges with "detailed" shapes will have at least one Creative Feature listed as "Layers" - some will have several - and you can choose your colors accordingly. In order to have them fit together properly, you need to remember to not move your size dial, since the wonderful Cricut hasOhMyGod built-in proportionality. {Thank heavens, can you imagine having to change your size dial to cut lower case letters?!?!?!}
Because each key has only so many options to allow those layer/color choices, you will come across some selections that actually cut more than one item (for instance, on the Mickey & Friends cart where Mickey & Minnie are dancing, one choice will have both sets of shoes). In that situation, you need to cut the item two times: the first time with the color of the first item cut and then before the blade begins to cut the second item, hit the "Stop" button (I have found that if you wait until the word "canceling..." leaves your screen - it only takes a couple seconds - before you press another button, you will be less likely to freeze your machine); now cut the image out again using the other color you choose and this time let it cut both items out. You do end up with a duplicate of the first item, but using the "Stop" button helps you not have two extras.
And don't forget to look at printed papers for your layers, too! You'll be amazed to find that when you look at a very small section of the print, it can look completely different than the full pattern (I've gotten some very pretty "fabric" from using things such as pool water paper!).
Enjoy!!
CricketCMV Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2011 6:53:01 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 7600 time(s) in 4449 post(s)
Enolamom and Gayle have given some very good suggestions.

If I were to add anything, it would be to use the CRICUT MARKERS. They are easy to use and they add detail to many of the cuts. E.g., if you are cutting out an animal, it will add eyes, mouth and whatever else you might need to add character to each cut.

When you get ready to use the MARKERS, just ask anyone on here if you are having any kind of problem with them. We'll give you some suggestions and there are others who know other things to use (I don't know about them, though, and I choose to use the CRICUT MARKERS for now.

Good luck.

Experiment, check out all the cards on here and you can learn a lot just looking at others' creations and check out blogs and videos (many of our members have blogs--on a button at the bottom of their posts). VIDEOS help us all.

There are a lot of very nice people willing to help all of us with our questions.

Char