Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

CTDaffodil Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 05, 2011 9:26:00 AM(UTC)
CTDaffodil

Groups: Registered

I would love to weld letters together. From what I've been able to see Design Studio seems to be the most economical way to go about this.
to those that have it - Do you really like using it? Is it pretty easy to use?
I would love the gypsy but just cant justify the cost of it for the few times I would probably use it.

advice - opinions??? All welcome!!
thanks
mhjudge67 Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 05, 2011 10:01:06 AM(UTC)
mhjudge67

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I had or have Design studio, I was able to weld once. It's much easier for me to weld on the gypsy. If you really want a gypsy some people have sold theirs on the board. I take my gypsy everywhere i go it fits in my purse or bookbag. I can design on the go and go home and cut it out. LOVE MY G BigGrin
 1 user thanked mhjudge67 for this useful post.
CTDaffodil on 2/5/2011(UTC)
Doxieluv01 Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 05, 2011 10:39:38 AM(UTC)
Doxieluv01

Was thanked: 2261 time(s) in 1788 post(s)
i would wait before you purchase it because cricut is coming out with a new program that will be FREE. The new program is called cricut craft room. from the videos i've seen it will be similiar to DS but easier to use.

You can download the trial version of DS here

http://www.cricut.com/cds/Update.aspx

with the trial version you can DESIGN with all the carts in the library but can only CUT with the one that came with your machine (George - original bug, Don Juan- create, plantin schoolbook and accent essentials - expression). with the paid version you can DESIGN with all the carts but can only CUT with the carts that you own

DS does have a learning curve but once you "get it" you'll love it. I used it whenever i would cut with my cricut that was until I got my gypsy.
 1 user thanked Doxieluv01 for this useful post.
CTDaffodil on 2/5/2011(UTC)
enolamom Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2011 12:00:35 PM(UTC)
enolamom

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 56 post(s)
I got design studio just for the purpose of welding. If you do a little homework, you can find it at a good price (check Amazon, Ebay, etc.) I feel like I've gotten my money's worth already. But.....I have found other uses as well. I'm currently doing a project for my daughter's classroom and have been able to cut in any size I want and even vary the shapes of what I'm cutting (I was able to cut a really long snake that she needed for example.........ewwwww). I'm sure it can do so much more that I don't even know about. That being said, I agree with the other post concerning Cricut craft room. It could very possible do all that DS does and more. There are lots of posts on here about it so you might want to try to find the release date and more information if you aren't in a real hurry. I was like you in my hesitating to buy a Gypsy. My eyes aren't the best and I thought I'd struggle with the small screen.
EnableMe Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2011 12:11:25 PM(UTC)
EnableMe

Was thanked: 373 time(s) in 353 post(s)
I don't have a Gypsy so I can't compare, but I do love my Design Studio! (I actually bought a second copy for my laptop.) Besides welding, it's great for resizing objects, hiding cutting lines you don't want, and cutting multiple layers/colors at one time. It's also helpful because you can see exactly how large a cut will be. If you don't need the portability of the Gypsy and don't want to wait for the new program to be released, I highly recommend DS. I've seen it selling for around $25 recently. I agree that you should download the trial version and see if it's something you'd like.