Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

AnnaK Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 5:58:13 AM(UTC)
AnnaK

Groups: Registered

Oh Yay! I didnt think I would EVER get logged into these boards!

I got an expressions for christmas and have been playing with it quite a bit since then. I have done a few cute pages and used it to make some teaching tools for my preschoolers. I think I am ready to start really exploring what I can do with this awesome machine! I have sooo many questions for you more experienced usersBigGrin

What do you all use for adhesive? I have typically used hermafix (repositionable as I don't trust the steadiness of my hand) and also have a little xyron x that I have been using for lettering. But this is insanely time consuming and the hermafix just isnt practical for the smaller lettering. Any tips, advice, etc?

I have been reading about the design studio and the gypsy and am pretty sold on the gypsy. Would like to hear some pro's/con's if you have any. Also wondering if any of you know of somewhere to get them for less?

I just bought my first piece of vinyl to make some lettering for my home. Before I take the plunge, is there anything I should know?

I think that is all for now, but I am sure I will come up with plenty more! Thanks for your help!Laugh

Anna
Narelle Online
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 6:15:22 AM(UTC)
Narelle

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 7571 time(s) in 3534 post(s)
Hi Anna & welcome! Glad you finally got here!!

AnnaK wrote:
Oh Yay! I didnt think I would EVER get logged into these boards!

I got an expressions for christmas and have been playing with it quite a bit since then. I have done a few cute pages and used it to make some teaching tools for my preschoolers. I think I am ready to start really exploring what I can do with this awesome machine! I have sooo many questions for you more experienced usersBigGrin

What do you all use for adhesive? I have typically used hermafix (repositionable as I don't trust the steadiness of my hand) and also have a little xyron x that I have been using for lettering. But this is insanely time consuming and the hermafix just isnt practical for the smaller lettering. Any tips, advice, etc?

I mostly use a Zig glue pen for the small stuff. There's about 3 different tip thicknesses.

I have been reading about the design studio and the gypsy and am pretty sold on the gypsy. Would like to hear some pro's/con's if you have any. Also wondering if any of you know of somewhere to get them for less?

I have DS and a Gypsy. I prefer DS but am getting used to the Gypsy. However... I would recommend you hold off for a little while because NEW Cricut sofware was announced at CHA yesterday. It is used online and is FREE!!! Should be available in the next few months. (They haven't given a definite date but it will be soon. The Gypsy is still a good option though if you don't want to be tied to a computer and like to go to crops etc. Lots of members here have reported buying a Gypsy over the last week or two for as low as $20 - $50 from Michaels.

I just bought my first piece of vinyl to make some lettering for my home. Before I take the plunge, is there anything I should know?

When using vinyl set your speed, pressure and blade depth at 3. Do a test cut. I think the object is to NOT cut the backing sheet of the vinyl. On those settings my Expression still cuts the backing sheet so I need to drop the pressure even more.

I think that is all for now, but I am sure I will come up with plenty more! Thanks for your help!Laugh

Anna

Keep asking as much as you like and enjoy your Cricuts.

BTW - if you use Facebook you can add http://www.facebook.com/OfficialCricut as a friend and you'll get all the latest that is happening at CHA.
AnnaK Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 6:33:26 AM(UTC)
AnnaK

Thank you!

One more question that I am sure truly shows my newbie colors....

What is CHA?Blushing
Narelle Online
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 6:37:33 AM(UTC)
Narelle

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 7571 time(s) in 3534 post(s)
Laugh

Sorry... that's the Craft & Hobby Association. They have two big events during the year. The Winter CHA is on now! All the big suppliers (including Provocraft) show off their new products.

It's HUGE and as I said you can get updates on the Cricut stuff on Facebook.

Smile
AnnaK Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2011 11:00:36 AM(UTC)
AnnaK

hehe, got it thanks!

Just finished up doing some pretty simple vinyl lettering for my daycare, and I am quite pleased. Came out nice! Hopefully it will help drum up some business so I can support my rapidly growing cricut habitFlapper
Anna