Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

TK Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 29, 2011 9:47:18 PM(UTC)
TK

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Okay, I've had my Cricut P and E for awhile, but one thing that I just don't seem to understand is the sizing! For instance, today I was using the paintbrush/palette from the Locker Talk cartridge and I did "an air cut" to figure out the approximate size I wanted (which ended up being 3" on the dial, but not on the real cut). However, when I left the size dial at 3" and tried to do the layers, they did not fit well. BTW, I was not using the Real Size button. I only figured out the size to set the dial at by doing the "air cut", since I had a specific size of space that I needed to fit the cut into.

On another occassion, I was trying to make a card and envelope, and they did not fit either. These were both cut out of the Wild Card cart, and yes, it was the coordinating envelope! Just today I found someone who went and did all the legwork for everyone else and posted the relative sizes on the Wild Cart cartridge. You can bet your bottom dollar I copied and pasted that baby into a document faster than Quick Draw McGraw!!!

I understand the sizing "rule of thumb" for letters being in relationship to each other, but how do we know what the relationship is between two shapes on any given cart? Is there an easy way of knowing which is the largest shape on a cart?

Is there something I'm missing? Is there an easier way to all of this? Are there videos somewhere that would help me understand this concept?

Don't get me wrong, I love my Cricuts! I use my cricuts quite frequently, but am still really struggling on this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Frustrated, but not totally beaten down yet --
TK
Narelle Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 29, 2011 10:25:21 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 7607 time(s) in 3549 post(s)
TKWatson wrote:
Okay, I've had my Cricut P and E for awhile, but one thing that I just don't seem to understand is the sizing! For instance, today I was using the paintbrush/palette from the Locker Talk cartridge and I did "an air cut" to figure out the approximate size I wanted (which ended up being 3" on the dial, but not on the real cut). However, when I left the size dial at 3" and tried to do the layers, they did not fit well. BTW, I was not using the Real Size button. I only figured out the size to set the dial at by doing the "air cut", since I had a specific size of space that I needed to fit the cut into.

On another occassion, I was trying to make a card and envelope, and they did not fit either. These were both cut out of the Wild Card cart, and yes, it was the coordinating envelope! Just today I found someone who went and did all the legwork for everyone else and posted the relative sizes on the Wild Cart cartridge. You can bet your bottom dollar I copied and pasted that baby into a document faster than Quick Draw McGraw!!!

I understand the sizing "rule of thumb" for letters being in relationship to each other, but how do we know what the relationship is between two shapes on any given cart? Is there an easy way of knowing which is the largest shape on a cart?

Is there something I'm missing? Is there an easier way to all of this? Are there videos somewhere that would help me understand this concept?

Don't get me wrong, I love my Cricuts! I use my cricuts quite frequently, but am still really struggling on this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Frustrated, but not totally beaten down yet --
TK

The easiest way I find to see how big a shape is going to be is to use DS or my Gypsy. (The free trial version of DS would be perfect if you don't have it). http://www.cricut.com/cds/DesignStudioTrial1.aspx

Even if I'm not using DS to cut the shape, still being able to see how big it will be is useful.

Here's the paint brush and it's layers at 3" on the mat. The paint brush is 3" tall (although it's on an angle) so the size is kind of accurate.

The layer pieces are just slightly larger than the base layers - kind of like a shadow.

TK Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 29, 2011 10:37:37 PM(UTC)
TK

Thanks for the screen shot and answer, but it didn't totally help.

Yes, Larger... why? They don't fit real well then. The metal wrap part below the brush tip is now larger than the brush and looks funny.

Any answers for the other questions? Key Height Character, cards/envelopes relations? I do have DS and a G, but I'm trying to learn one thing at a time cuz that's hard enough for me!! Blushing

What about people that don't have DS or a G? How are they to find out? Is using the "air cut" method a good way of getting an approximate size? I usually do that just to see what size of paper to put in, but I guess it could be utilized for relative size too, but that isn't really handy to have to keep air cutting objects to see their relationship to other things. Is it correct to assume that any layers will be in good relationship to your base object? What about the size relationship of one shape on a page to another shape? Is there any easy way of telling, other than using DS or G? What did everyone do before those two options?

Just gotta get used to this, I guess! I just hate wasting all the paper I go through because something isn't the size I thought it was going to be.

TK
Narelle Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 29, 2011 11:12:58 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Quote:

The key height character is generally only used on Font carts. On image carts the size you set is in most cases the actual height of the character. In the case of the paintbrush and palette, it's the height of the brush from it's tip to it's base.

The layers in most case are exactly the right size for the base layer. In this case (the locker talk cart) they are a little different. Here's the apple as an example with it's layers over the base layer:

Locker Talk is one of the oldest carts that were released. Maybe they changed how they did the layers after that. I'm really not sure.

As for the card cartridges... I generally use the "fit to page" option on the Expression to see what the biggest size the envelope will be. Then I make the actual card 1/4" or so smaller so it will fit in the envelope. (Press Fit to Page, then the keypad button for the envelope you want to make and press OK. The expression will calculate the max size and show the result on the screen).

The charts that some members have created are a great help too.

Edited by user Saturday, January 29, 2011 11:15:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sweetpea1030 Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 29, 2011 11:22:39 PM(UTC)
sweetpea1030

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 1604 time(s) in 1019 post(s)
Hey TK,

I'm not quite sure I totally understand what you're asking as I get very confused dealing with numbers. I have the numerical version of dyslexia. I would suggest you try the gypsy or DS. Being able to manipulate the items really helps you to be able to do it in your head. For instance, if you measure the screen shot, you'll find the two pieces of the metal portion of the paintbrush measure exactly 3/4 inches across the widest point (on the diagonal).

Since you already have them, my suggestion would be that you learn how to use the machine with the DS. You will quickly be able to see or grasp what you're doing and will be ready to go on to the gypsy.HTH
Confused
TK Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 29, 2011 11:44:07 PM(UTC)
TK

Thanks, Narelle and SweetPea!

Both answers helped a lot! I did not realize the KHC was given in the book, I also didn't pick up on the fact that KHC was not used for images. I guess I will have to learn the G (I pretty much abandoned DS since my laptop died, my computer is upstairs and my CraftRoom is in the basement - not so convenient, which is why I just got the G)!

I can't say I won't ask more questions, but I guess I can at least get back to scrapbooking and cardmaking for now Love

PS - I see that even on the apple the stem and leaf layers are larger. In my mind, they shouldve been the same, I guess. Sorry

Edited by user Saturday, January 29, 2011 11:46:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Narelle Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 29, 2011 11:48:12 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Ask away! Always here to help. (And I mean ALWAYS....)

Edited by user Saturday, January 29, 2011 11:51:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Narelle Offline
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 29, 2011 11:52:33 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

TKWatson wrote:

PS - I see that even on the apple the stem and leaf layers are larger. In my mind, they shouldve been the same, I guess. Sorry

That's right. All the images on this cart are like that. As I said, later cartridges seem to treat the layers differently.
WendyChaffee Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 9:29:41 AM(UTC)
WendyChaffee

Confused TK, can you tell me how to find the post that you were speaking of where someone had done all the leg work of figuring out how to make the cards and envelopes match? I am also having this problem, sometimes it works correctly and sometimes it doesn't.
TK Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 6:52:01 PM(UTC)
TK

Sorry it took me so long, I didn't keep that info (I knew I'd regret that decision) when I copied it off. However, under your Search page, I found this link...

http://going-buggy.blogs...-and-envelope-sizes.html

Hope that helps!
 1 user thanked TK for this useful post.
Barbi on 2/18/2011(UTC)