Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

KarenColes Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 15, 2011 12:45:22 PM(UTC)
KarenColes

Groups: Registered

Hello all,

Like my subject says, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I got the Cricut Cake for Christmas. I tried it out a couple of times with gumpaste, which went fine (as well as can be expected at least... I can see it's potential if I have the patience to get it right).

THEN, I read on the internet that I could cut paper with it. This just opened up a whole bunch of possibilities, since I have a cake business. Now I can print cupcake wrappers, and maybe get into scrapbooking too! So I ordered some tacky mats, the deep blade housing, and the cupcake wrappers cart. I got about three wrappers cut when my cricut just stopped cutting. It was moving, but no cuts were being made as it went through the motions. I took the housing out, and the end of the blade had broken off! I can't find a thing on the internet about this happening to anyone. I had the depth set on 4, pressure & speed on medium. The paper I was cutting on was heavier than paper but lighter than cardstock. I would think a deep cut blade could handle that.

So my first question is - how the heck did the blade break off? I'm going to return it to Amazon (they've already sent me a replacement), so that's fine. But then, I got stupid. I couldn't remember what the end o the blade looked like or how long it was, so I got this brilliant idea to put the blade into the white blade housing that came with my Cake. The magnet immediately sucked it in, and my husband is now sitting at the table with a hundred tiny tools trying to extract the broken blade from my Cake's blade housing.

My second question is - do they not sell the housing for the Cake blades separately? Because I can't find one anywhere. I'm starting to accept that he's not going to get the blade out, but if he doesn't, then there's no more cutting gumpaste with my cake, either.

I really like the possibilities that this machine, but I'm frustrated by the lack of direction and information. With the exception of various forums, I'm kind of at a loss. Even the manual that came with it is kind of vague.

Help, please!

~Karen
ladybugstamper Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 15, 2011 12:55:45 PM(UTC)
ladybugstamper

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 245 post(s)
Wow, that's quite interesting.

As a general rule, the Cricut Cake is not recommended for cutting paper. It's that food safe issue. Nor is the Expression recommended for cutting fondant and gum paste, again, the food safe issue.

I am thinking at this point you will need to talk to Provo Craft about ordering a blade housing.

Sorry this happened.
Khrista Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 15, 2011 1:01:01 PM(UTC)
Khrista

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2490 time(s) in 1389 post(s)
I can't answer specifically to the Cake machine. However, for what you were cutting you probably didn't need the Deep Blade. The deep blade housing is really if you are doing chipboard (stuff thicker than a cereal box). There's very few things that the green cricut housing won't cut as you can also do multi-cut (least on the expression you can). I have a deep housing blade and have never used it. So, that might be why the blade broke. Was too much pressure on it. You should be able to hold the push down like button on the top of the housing down and shake out the blade. It's up there like a magnet (could try a magnet to pull it the opposite way too I suppose). As for replacing the Cake housing:

http://community.provocr...-cake-blade-housing.aspx

Here's a post I found.. sounds like you'll need to call Provo. As someone else said, cutting paper with it usually is not recommended. If you were to use something like a glitter paper and then run fondant through..odd's are you'd end up getting glitter in your food.

Hope it works out.
Khrista
HisGem Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 15, 2011 2:15:26 PM(UTC)
HisGem

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 332 post(s)
I also thought that cutting paper in the cake voided the warranty if they found paper particles in the machine.
goatesgirl Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 15, 2011 2:37:38 PM(UTC)
goatesgirl

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Not only is it a food safety issue, but the blade on the cake machine is different than on the others...if you are going to do it you would need a different blade and housing to do it...this is probably why your blade broke...
sweetpea1030 Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 15, 2011 6:21:38 PM(UTC)
sweetpea1030

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 1604 time(s) in 1019 post(s)
The girls are right, Karen. The Cake is to be used for food products only, and you may well have voided your warranty. Hopefully PC can work something out for you. Here's a link to the cake forum on the MB. Maybe they can help. I'll also post your message on the Circle forum and see if anybody can help. HTH
Confused

http://community.provocr...34_Cricut-Cake-Chat.aspx

Edited by user Saturday, January 15, 2011 6:30:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

scrapalette Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 15, 2011 8:17:43 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 18422 time(s) in 8188 post(s)
Yes, your warranty has been voided by using the machine with materials that it was not intended for. However, you can still buy a new Cake blade housing unit to use with your machine. Each different blade (cake, regular, deep cut) has it's own type of housing unit as well.

If your machine still works, you just need to decide what you want to cut with it and use the appropriate blade and housing unit.
KarenColes Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:45:35 PM(UTC)
KarenColes

Thank you all for the info - I will give them a call to order a new housing.

I get the food safety issue (and I did order a separate blade - someone on these forums said you needed a deep cut blade which is why I ordered that one in the first place), and was careful to wipe it all out after I used it to cut paper, of which I only cut out 3 cupcake wrappers. I would, however, argue the warranty voiding issue, when PC's own video on the Cake has their "Professional Cake Decorator" spokesperson telling you to try it with paper to get a feel for it. If they don't want you using it with paper, they shouldn't have their paid testimonial telling you to do it! Regardless, it's a moot point. I'm not trying to get them to replace it for free, I just wanted to know how to order a replacement. Thank you for the advice though.
sweetpea1030 Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:24:20 PM(UTC)
sweetpea1030

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 1604 time(s) in 1019 post(s)
KarenColes wrote:
Thank you all for the info - I will give them a call to order a new housing.

I get the food safety issue (and I did order a separate blade - someone on these forums said you needed a deep cut blade which is why I ordered that one in the first place), and was careful to wipe it all out after I used it to cut paper, of which I only cut out 3 cupcake wrappers. I would, however, argue the warranty voiding issue, when PC's own video on the Cake has their "Professional Cake Decorator" spokesperson telling you to try it with paper to get a feel for it. If they don't want you using it with paper, they shouldn't have their paid testimonial telling you to do it! Regardless, it's a moot point. I'm not trying to get them to replace it for free, I just wanted to know how to order a replacement. Thank you for the advice though.

Karen, I would not consider that to be a moot point. If PC stated to test it out on paper, I would certainly bring that up in any conversation with them. That can be confusing and seem in conflict with what's stated elsewhere.
Confused