Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Justina1218 Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2011 9:36:40 PM(UTC)
Justina1218

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Ok I am going to admit I am a newbie. Blushing I have the Expression, Imagine & Cake but I don't really know how to use the machines. Also have the Gypsy & DS but I am lost. But what I need to know is what are your essentials to make layouts, cards, etc. I don't want to go out & buy stuff I won't use, what are your can't live without items?? Even if it's just something like adhesives. I need all you advance crafters help. I am in the trial & error stages of doing stuff but would rather just ask ya'll. Thanks in advance!!!! I appreciate all comments & advice!!!
paperblossoms Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2011 9:57:54 PM(UTC)
paperblossoms

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 35 post(s)
My biggest piece of advice is to really try to find what you love product wise the most. For me it's stamps, flowers, ribbon and die cuts. I really love looking at pattern paper but don't use it as much as the above.

So, to supply essentials adhesive is big. I love my ATG 715 gun. It's a bit of an investment at first but 12 rolls of adhesive last me way over 6 months and I craft almost everyday.

Paper trimmer. Huge must have. I got the Making Memories self sharpening one. It works well...I'm sure there are better ones out there but hey, for $25 (with a coupon) I'm happy with it:)

Cardstock in colors YOU love. Because if you love it you will use it.

A pair of ribbon/fabric only scissors and a pair of paper only scissors.

For all the stamping I do, Copic markers, Prisma color pencils, Memento ink and a good stamp scrubber.

Those are the basics I can think of for now! HTH!
 1 user thanked paperblossoms for this useful post.
Justina1218 on 1/14/2011(UTC)
Justina1218 Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2011 10:05:57 PM(UTC)
Justina1218

Ha ha ha paper I love....I think I'm a paer hoarder.I buy it and love to look at it but I hate to cut it up...lol. I guess I need to learn how to get over that. Thanks. I keep hearing about the ATG gun....I guess I need that. And a paper trimmer. I do have the scissors. I need the pens & pencils & stamps. Thanks!
Jen (AKA rihelgrl) Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2011 10:32:40 PM(UTC)
Jen (AKA rihelgrl)

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Love my ATG!! You need a paper cutter with a measuring edge, glue pen for small pieces and ink, ink, ink. I love my distressing inks. I like water colored pencils for coloring in my stamps and chalk is good but I don't use it THAT often. Paper that inspires you and some nice embellishments to get you started.
 1 user thanked Jen (AKA rihelgrl) for this useful post.
Justina1218 on 1/19/2011(UTC)
enolamom Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2011 10:33:13 PM(UTC)
enolamom

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Hi, I assure you if you get an ATG gun, you'll love it. It lasts so much longer than the small tape rollers and is well worth the money. If you have a Michael's in your area and wait for a 50% coupon, it will cost about $20. I always get my tape there with a coupon too, but many people will probably tell you where you can get it even cheaper.
 1 user thanked enolamom for this useful post.
Justina1218 Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2011 10:56:44 PM(UTC)
Justina1218

OK ATG gun is on my list, as well as a paper trimmer/cutter. Thanks so much Jen (AKA rihelgrl) & enolamom!
msjesshawk Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 15, 2011 4:06:07 PM(UTC)
msjesshawk

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Adhesives is a big must. I don't have a atg gun (yet!) But I have like 10 adhesives ranging from decoupage to ribbon glue to rubber cement to runners. I went through a trial n error.
Patterned paper is pretty to look at but u do end up not using it so much.
Different colored cardstock is good especially need black n white. Michaels has a rainbow of colored cardstock set that's good to try out.
Glue pens! I have 3 sizes.
Scrapbook pens. Really good scissors. tweezers.
 1 user thanked msjesshawk for this useful post.
Justina1218 Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2011 3:01:59 PM(UTC)
Justina1218

Thank you msjesshawk I will go to Ms and ck out the paper too.
idzibitsy (Michelle) Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 5:47:56 AM(UTC)
idzibitsy (Michelle)

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Every layout starts with paper for the mats for photos, adhesive, and a paper trimmer. I found that the fiskars premium paper cutter was awesome. It's big enough where you can cut 6" cuts but small enough where it doesn't take over your workspace. I hardly use any of my others.

If you plan on doing cards, I highly recommend the score tool from Martha Stewart. I've also been using it for the rosette flowers for my layouts. If you aren't doing cards, then it isn't necessary, but I do recommend a good quality score tool. Making memories has a nice kit. Also recollections at Michaels had a nice tool kit. I would get reverse tweezers, an eyelet setter, Paper piercer, precision scissors, a razor blade, a metal ruler, bone scorer, and a spatula. I am looking at what is in my tool caddy on my desk.

I use the reverse tweezers to hold onto things while I heat emboss and to pick up Brads and Eyelets. I have a crop a dile that I use for setting my Eyelets, though I started out with a hammer and eyelet setter. My paper piercer hardly is used for a piercer anymore, but it is used for picking small pieces off of my mat and for clearing the tips of my stickle bottles.

I bought an Ikea set of scissors that I marker for paper and fabric. They have served me well, but I needed a small pair that is precise. I love my tonic scissors.

Speaking of tonic... I have my knife and piercer from them and love the retraction. I love their products. I use my knife and ruler for making small cuts. I also use my ruler and bone scorer for making score lines and folds.

A tip I love is when you are trying to line up pictures on a layout, lightly score the line instead of drawing a line to line up images. You won't have unsightly marks on your completed layout.

I bought the pink spatula for another machine because I was in a pink mood, but cricut has a spatula that works, mine has a point on it. I think it was for the making memories machine.

Last but not least, my Martha Stewart craft mat and my ranger craft mat. I make my layouts on my Martha mat, it is amazing for cutting and is gridded so I can line up layouts. I use my ranger mat for anything messy because it is non stick. However do not cut on it because it will ruin the mat.

Hope this helps!!
 1 user thanked idzibitsy (Michelle) for this useful post.
LCCrafts Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 2:47:24 PM(UTC)
LCCrafts

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 221 time(s) in 157 post(s)
I use my zig 2 way glue pen for small cuts, my tweezerbee tweezers, and scissors, paper trimmer ( I have 2), my atg, good cardstock, and I do have patterned paper on hand. (a lot actually, but not because I need it, just because I buy it)
I always thought the paper I buy from Michaels and Joanns was really great. Now I know that they are okay, but I really like stampin up cardstock and papertrayink cardstock. You really can tell the difference, but I do use the paper from M's and Joanns. Also I have to have Stampin up dimensionals on hand, they are like pop dots.
 1 user thanked LCCrafts for this useful post.
Justina1218 Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:58:15 PM(UTC)
Justina1218

idzibitsy (Michelle) Wow thanks for all the info! I have it written down! Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you like to use. I really hope to get all the essentials so I can start creating stuff.
LCCrafts Thanks for the info as well. Where do you buy the paper from if not from Js or Ms? And I know everyone loves their ATG gun is there a certain brand I should look for?

smgoodie Offline
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:37:22 PM(UTC)
smgoodie

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I like my ATG gun, just like everyone else. The first night I use one roll of tape. Jet Max cubes for storage of supplies and paper. I am a card maker. So I have Jet Max cubes to hold finished cards and envelopes and cards and envelopes to be worked up. I like to use my big E, but I now also like to use Martha Stewart punches. I purchased them from M when they were on sale. So watch the sales. Start useing those coupons.
 1 user thanked smgoodie for this useful post.
Justina1218 Offline
#13 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:50:53 PM(UTC)
Justina1218

smgoodie What brand is your ATG gun? Oh I definietly need storage, do they sell those JetMax items at Michaels? I will use my coupons...I am usually really bad, but now I always print one when I leave the house (just in case BigGrin )
Kroppin Kari Offline
#14 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:00:37 PM(UTC)
Kroppin Kari

United States

Was thanked: 1762 time(s) in 900 post(s)
If you have an IKEA by you the expedit shelf system is PERFECT for storage. I found the jet max cubes to be a ton of work to put together... each one seemed to have a hundred screws and I find the drawers a little odd sized and stuff... but that's my preference...

i agree with others about the ATG gun, its scotch brand. They make different ones... some only do the 1/4" adhesive, others will do 1/2" and will take an adapter to do the 1/4"... personally the 1/4" one is fine. They sell it in PINK at michaels. Other smaller tape runners are also nice if you are working with small stuff... its just easier some times.

Pop dots/ foam dots... great for adding dimension to your layered projects.

Lots of colored card stock in your favorite colors. You will see that you tend to use certain colors over and over again.

For the patterned paper it took me a few years to come to terms with really cutting it up... but what good does it really do us in whole sheets! We can enjoy it cut up just as well in our albums, and then it's preserved... hehe.

Good luck with starting your scrapbooking! Just focus on buying one type of thing at a time to give it a try... you may find out you don't like stamping and coloring, or might not make a lot of cards (but I love my new martha score board!)... you have to feel what's right for you. :)
 1 user thanked Kroppin Kari for this useful post.
Justina1218 on 1/18/2011(UTC)
Justina1218 Offline
#15 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:14:24 PM(UTC)
Justina1218

Kroppin Kari I too have issues with cutting up the pretty paper. I have soooo much pretty paper, I guess I need to learn how to cut it up. Better used than not at all I guess? Right? I saw the pink ATG on eBay...I love it, but I love anything pink. If it was blinged out it would be even better. I think I need to take your advice on focusing on one part. I tend to see something and want to do it and then get distracted with something else. I think I am going to start with making Valentines Day cards for my daughters classmates. I know big job, but I figure if I have a deadline and my kid depending on it being done I can finish them. And I can make some of them the same.
CowgirlUp Offline
#16 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:29:48 PM(UTC)
CowgirlUp

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 871 time(s) in 709 post(s)
the atg gun is made by 3M/Scotch. Both M's and J's have a pink one.
 1 user thanked CowgirlUp for this useful post.
Justina1218 Offline
#17 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:37:42 PM(UTC)
Justina1218

Thank you cowgirlup!
JulieM Offline
#18 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:08:31 AM(UTC)
JulieM

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
You are probably overwhelmed with all three of those machines. I'd recommend starting with just the Expression. Focus on learning how to use it, watch some Youtube tutorials and practice. Be willing to make things you don't like or even end up throwing out. You will become proficient in a very short time.
The Gypsy and DS are good tools to use with your machines, but don't try to integrate them right away. Once you get comfortable with your first machine, you'll be able to pick up the other things much more quickly and easily. Hope this helps. Good luck to you!
 1 user thanked JulieM for this useful post.
lylacfey Offline
#19 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:21:48 AM(UTC)
lylacfey

Was thanked: 301 time(s) in 251 post(s)
I am a die hard paper crafter. There are a lot of paper crafting trends out and it's so easy to get sucked in. I did it too. I regretted a few things after I got more experience. My advice is stick with the basics and then build up as you learn your style.

For the Cricut you need the Spatula. That is a definite must have. An old gift card to scrape your mat. Last but not least a dental pick to get all those little tiny pieces off the mat.

This is my die hard tool kit for paper crafting:

-Mechanical Pencil

-Butter Knife or bone folder for creasing paper. I have a really nice bone folder but I tend to reach for my knife more. Over the years I have learned some great paper crafting techniques with a knife so it's always beside me.

-Cutter Bee Scissors- These are a must in a paper crafter's toolbox. The best advice I ever got when I started paper crafting was buy some Cutter Bee's, Tsukineko Black Archival Ink and a ream of white cardstock.

-Junky Scissors- They are a lifesaver

-Aleene's Tacky Glue

-Glossy Accents

-Metal Ruler or Tim Holtz' ruler. I love Tim's ruler but I do have my metal ruler beside me too.

-Glue Sticks

-Self Healing Mat

-Sewing Pins- I use them for everything. I know it's a strange one on a paper crafting list but I reach for them constantly.

Check out a good embossing machine like the Cuttlebug, Big Kick, Sizzix Embossing machine. You will definitely want to start embossing.

ATG is a good investment. I learned how to use the tape without the gun. More crafting dollars for me. :) I will probably buy one someday so I can frame my stitchwork.

HTH & Welcome to the board.

1 user thanked lylacfey for this useful post.
Justina1218 Offline
#20 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:02:29 AM(UTC)
Justina1218

JulieM Thank you...yes it is overwhelming. I got into buying cartridges, then I thought everyone loves the G so why not buy one, but when I turn it on I think it's a little hard to use so I usually just turn it off.
lylacfey Thank you for all the great advice. I definitely have a lot of stuff on my list. I thought I had a well stocked craft room, but oddly I don't have most of what everyone told me. Maybe that's why I never could do any scrapping. I have the glues, paper, brads, eyelets (even though I can set them for the life of me), but I don't have the basic tools. Which embossing machine is the best buy? I have seen some cards with the embossing and can't believe how much of a difference it makes. It looks amazing!

Now would you all recommend any of the craft magazines or are they any books out there worth buying or should I stick to online tutorials?
booklover33 Offline
#21 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:41:49 PM(UTC)
booklover33

United States

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Wow, no one suggested a Xyron 150, 250, 510 or bigger. I can't do much without one of my sticker makers! I love the 150 (xbox) the best. I use these every time I paper piece using my Cricut.
 1 user thanked booklover33 for this useful post.
JulieM on 1/19/2011(UTC)
Justina1218 Offline
#22 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:51:22 PM(UTC)
Justina1218

Booklover33 I actually have that. I don't know what I bought it for but on hsn they kept saying it was such a great deal so I bought it. Cool now I just need to learn how to use it....but first take it out of the box :)

Edited by user Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:51:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LCCrafts Offline
#23 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 9:03:40 PM(UTC)
LCCrafts

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 221 time(s) in 157 post(s)
I buy my stampin up paper online. There are many Stampin up demonstrators, probably in your area, but I buy from KristenLong on this messageboard. She is great to work with. This is her website: http://www.stampinup.net/esuite/home/kristenlong/
I buy the papertrayink cardstock here:http://www.papertreyink.com/paper.html
Both sites are great.
 1 user thanked LCCrafts for this useful post.
lylacfey Offline
#24 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 2:43:26 AM(UTC)
lylacfey

Was thanked: 301 time(s) in 251 post(s)
Justina1218 wrote:
JulieM Thank you...yes it is overwhelming. I got into buying cartridges, then I thought everyone loves the G so why not buy one, but when I turn it on I think it's a little hard to use so I usually just turn it off.
lylacfey Thank you for all the great advice. I definitely have a lot of stuff on my list. I thought I had a well stocked craft room, but oddly I don't have most of what everyone told me. Maybe that's why I never could do any scrapping. I have the glues, paper, brads, eyelets (even though I can set them for the life of me), but I don't have the basic tools. Which embossing machine is the best buy? I have seen some cards with the embossing and can't believe how much of a difference it makes. It looks amazing!

Now would you all recommend any of the craft magazines or are they any books out there worth buying or should I stick to online tutorials?

The best embossing machine would be the Big Shot/Big Kick. Both are the same machines just have different names. I have a beautiful Pink & Black BigShot. I got it at JoAnn's Online. I like the BigShot because it's the sturdiest of all the machines. I use a lot of dies in my work. I like to do mixed media so I work with balsa wood, tin, thin metals, fabric, felt, flannel, etc... The Big Shot is the best machine in the long run since it can grow with your needs. Most paper crafter's start using Nestabilities and other dies as they grow. You will be all set for embossing and manual die cutting with the Big Shot.

I have owned a Cuttlebug, Original Red Sizzix and a few others. My first love will always be the BigShot. Cuttlebug is great but you constantly need to suction it. It's not as sturdy. If you go to a lot of crops then you want the Cuttlebug since it folds nicely and is travel friendly.

Online tutorials are always going to be your best bet for learning new techniques. Sadly to say most main stream magazines usually have the work of the bloggers we already follow and watch their tutorials. So, it gets redundant. Least to me it does since I am a magazine and blog junkie.

For more unusual magazines you will want the higher end ones like Somerset Publishing. I absolutely adore the British Magazines. For $10 you get a beautiful magazine with lots of inspiration and it always comes with goodies like tools, stamps and papers.
 1 user thanked lylacfey for this useful post.
Justina1218 on 1/20/2011(UTC)
Justina1218 Offline
#25 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:37:55 PM(UTC)
Justina1218

Thank you lylacfey! You are so helpful!