Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

sweetpea1030 Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 09, 2011 1:24:02 AM(UTC)
sweetpea1030

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 1604 time(s) in 1019 post(s)
It seems that my older mats that I didn't "condition" seems to be outlasting those that I have "conditioned". I learned how to take things off without ripping even though the mat was sticky. I know a lot factors in, but just wondering if anybody else is having this experience. TIA (thanks in advance)
Confused

Edited by user Sunday, January 09, 2011 1:25:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

♥LovedByAWA♥ Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 09, 2011 1:50:09 AM(UTC)
♥LovedByAWA♥

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
i just had this same thought last night as i was opening a new 12 x12 package of mats. I have also noticed the stickiness on the mats seems to vary from mat to mat. I have got some packs that are impossibly tacky and others that were perfectly tacky.
MrsT Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 09, 2011 2:12:43 AM(UTC)
MrsT

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I think conditioning them is bound to shorten their use but at times it just has to be done to make them useable.
The act of "conditioning" them is actually "using up" the stickyness of the mat and in an ideal world should not be needed.
I try to use my new mats with thicker cardstock and I have several mats on the go for different projects. Having said that, I wash, re- glue and use tape on my mats all the time and have never thrown one away
ShannonVary Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2011 7:39:55 AM(UTC)
ShannonVary

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 10 post(s)
MrsT wrote:
I think conditioning them is bound to shorten their use but at times it just has to be done to make them useable.
The act of "conditioning" them is actually "using up" the stickyness of the mat and in an ideal world should not be needed.
I try to use my new mats with thicker cardstock and I have several mats on the go for different projects. Having said that, I wash, re- glue and use tape on my mats all the time and have never thrown one away

Same for me. My newer sticky mats are perfect for thicker cardstock and my older ones are perfect for thinner material like patterned paper.

I also find that there is no consistency in the mats....some are VERY sticky and others are not.
Peacechick1960 Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:49:51 PM(UTC)
Peacechick1960

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Condition the mats? Huh Never heard of that, and I've been "Cricut-ing" for over 4 years!! So, I guess I've never conditioned a single mat in all of that time and have never had a problem with them...

Vanessa
DeeQ Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 23, 2011 1:24:38 PM(UTC)
DeeQ

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I don't think it makes much of a difference. If the mats are too sticky for regular paper or cardstock, eventually you'll need to make them less sticky, either by using them over and over and wasting paper or by purposely putting scrap paper on them and removing it. I don't think using your hands makes sense - we spend a lot of $$$ on acid-free scrapbook supplies, so why would we want to put our acidic hands on the mats?

I use my mats until they crack or warp too much to be good, then I cut out the middles and use them for glitter or paper-piecing to hold the little bits while I glue. I re-stick my mats with 2-way zig glue after I wash them with soap and water and dry them overnight. I just cut up a mat that I'd been using for 3 years - the original one that came with my machine.

Dee in NC