Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

GabrielleOrth Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, January 03, 2011 11:42:28 AM(UTC)
GabrielleOrth

Groups: Registered

Hi ALL! My husband bought me the Cricut Expression for X-mas and I am just now starting to play around with it.... As the instructions are not the clearest and have not really found any help online, I am hoping that someone on here can help me :) I have figured out how to cut the vinyl decals for windows and such (not sure if I am using the "correct" vinyl for car windows) and I think I know how to "etch" glass and other objects, but am really unsure on the rest of the stuff that the expression can do :)
So here are a couple of questions I hope that someone can answer...
1. Can i make tshirt transfers,is there specific paper I need to use, and how do I do this? If I print one off of my computer how do I cut it out with the expression?
2. Is the vinyl I can buy at craft stores, suitable for car windows?
3. What else can I do on my expression?

Also I have purchased the DS for my cricut, but I can't seem to find any of the cartridges that are on there in any of our local stores... i currently have playtime, classic font and feeling groovy, but none of those are included in the DS
I was really hoping that I could use some of my own pictures to cut out but I can't import them to the DS and apparently im not technical enough for S.C.A.L. any suggestions for this issue would be great also :)
Thanks!!!

Edited by user Monday, January 03, 2011 11:45:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gcmcevoy Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, January 03, 2011 3:29:12 PM(UTC)
gcmcevoy

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 702 time(s) in 607 post(s)
Hi Gabrielle!
Welcome to the message board!There are a lot of talented and helpful people here.
I am not sure about the vinyl or the tee shirt transfer ( I do know that people here do Freezer Tee shirts using freezer paper for the pattern pieces or something like that,)
so you may want to check the Craft forum and the vinyl forum.

As for what the cricut can do besides cut, it can drawer with markers and emboss with an adapter that one of the MB members developed .

As far as the DS is concerned I know very little about it except that you have to make sure that you have up dated it so that the newst carts and applications are on it to be able to cut with your E.

Now for a word of warning. PC does not like us using 3rd party programs on our machines and really doesn't want them discussed here .Using programs like SCAL and the like will void your warranty with PC.So if your machine breaks in the year you will be out of luck.
Hope that helps.
Welcome again , Can't wait to see what you make!!
Gina
Ps you can see a lot of you tube videos on how to use your machine. It may be worth it for you to check them out .
 1 user thanked gcmcevoy for this useful post.
GabrielleOrth on 1/3/2011(UTC)
Narelle Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 04, 2011 8:03:48 AM(UTC)
Narelle

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 7571 time(s) in 3534 post(s)
Hi Gabrielle and welcome!

To update DS you need to go to: http://www.cricut.com/CDS/Update.aspx and download the updates from there.

You'll find playtime, classic font and feeling groovy in the Font Pack download.

Here's some info on downloading and installing the updates that might help:
http://myfaqcricutds.blogspot.c...stalling-ds-updates.html
Khrista Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 04, 2011 8:00:04 PM(UTC)
Khrista

United States

Was thanked: 2490 time(s) in 1389 post(s)
Welcome! :)

Vinyl - the stuff you buy in the craft store is usually the kind for walls. However, I asked that question before at many people use it on their cars also. Depending where you live is how long it will stay on there. A helpful hint for you too - if you want to take it off use a blow dryer to help warm up the sticky if it's not peeling off to easily. If you want actual outside vinyl (more heavy duty) then you can buy that online (like Vinyl Expressions) or if you have a sign company anywhere near can probably buy it from them. Some sign companies have been known to give people their scraps which usually have been pretty good sizes for crafting with.

Tshirts - there is a freezer paper method or there is also a heatable vinyl. I have not done either. I'll cut fabric and applique. You can find video's on both methods on youtube. You can also check out Joy's Life website: joyslife.com She has the one video I've actually purchased about vinyl that I found really good. Everything else I've gotten from youtube and other websites.

Design Studio aka DS - sounds like you need the updates as someone suggested. All the cartridges that work with the Expression are on there (DS does not work with the Imagine machine)

Your last question was what else can you do? More of a question of what can't you do. :) Tons of stuff you can cut with it. People make cards, do scrapbook pages, do home decor items, the vinyl as you've discovered, and so on. Just start browing through the projects section etc. Lots of blogs and websites with different things too. Another good one with video's on how to use the Expression is MyPinkStamper.com

Hope that helps
:)Khrista
Flo Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, January 07, 2011 4:39:37 AM(UTC)
Flo

Canada

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 32 post(s)
GabrielleOrth wrote:
Hi ALL! My husband bought me the Cricut Expression for X-mas and I am just now starting to play around with it.... As the instructions are not the clearest and have not really found any help online, I am hoping that someone on here can help me :) I have figured out how to cut the vinyl decals for windows and such (not sure if I am using the "correct" vinyl for car windows) and I think I know how to "etch" glass and other objects, but am really unsure on the rest of the stuff that the expression can do :)
So here are a couple of questions I hope that someone can answer...
1. Can i make tshirt transfers,is there specific paper I need to use, and how do I do this? If I print one off of my computer how do I cut it out with the expression?
2. Is the vinyl I can buy at craft stores, suitable for car windows?
3. What else can I do on my expression?

Also I have purchased the DS for my cricut, but I can't seem to find any of the cartridges that are on there in any of our local stores... i currently have playtime, classic font and feeling groovy, but none of those are included in the DS
I was really hoping that I could use some of my own pictures to cut out but I can't import them to the DS and apparently im not technical enough for S.C.A.L. any suggestions for this issue would be great also :)
Thanks!!!

As already mentioned youtube is fabulous that is where i learnt heaps. What I do with my cricuts- well I do cuts cause I love to cut things out then I had to find something to do with them so I make some cards, I have made name badges and use the paper dolls to resemble people and put them on their names. I do scrapbook pages but I also cut out in magnetic sheet and stick stuff on the fridge. I love 3d work and make bags and boxes and love the Forever young as it has a heap 50 I think bags that are 3d. I have made the haunted house from Happy hauntings and 4 of the five houses from winter woodland. You will love your cricut go to aboverubies.com as she has a free download on what settings to use for different papers.
If you just want lettering for your T's for transfers then thats easy but you cant always cut out what you print on the computer printer for transfers although you can colour your paper and then cut it out. I have an Imagine as well as a CE so I have done transfers on the Imagine. You will soon realise that you get bitten by this bug and become a cricut-a-holic and a cart-a-holic but there are some good deals on carts if you go and look. check out places like ohmycrafts.com, cricutmachine.com and memorymiser.com customcrops.com and mypinkstamper.com and you can get some good deals on ebay but check them all out. You can check the blogs of people on the messageboard by clicking the blog button under their posts and the mb members usually have cricut stuff on their blogs. ou are welcome to check out mine. I made a blog so I can remember what I have done so if you havent got one that is easy go to blogspot.com and it walks you through it and is very easy especially if you are not a omputer junkie. Good luck and check back on the mb often there's lots of help here at all times of the day from all over the world. I am from New Zealand way way down under.