Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

RebeccaMarie Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 01, 2011 7:03:28 PM(UTC)
RebeccaMarie

Groups: Registered

I just bought a Cricut Expression yesterday and haven't set it up yet, but I've been looking around on the message boards and it seems like everyone uses CDS. Is it worth it using the Design studio instead of just using the cartridges? I also read that you can really only use DS with the catridges you already have even though you can design with all the cartridges. Is that true?
Khrista Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 01, 2011 10:50:20 PM(UTC)
Khrista

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2490 time(s) in 1389 post(s)
Hi! I wouldn't recommend buying CDS at this point of time. You can download a trial version of it so you can see what it's all about etc. It will let you cut but I can't remember if that's the one that will slash through what you cut. However, they are supposed to be putting out a new program here fairly soon they keep saying. I'd wait for that one as odds are it'll be much better than CDS and in the meantime just use the cartridges. I have CDS and now that I have a gypsy, I don't use it very much anymore.

HTH
:)Khrista
Narelle Online
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 02, 2011 6:35:24 AM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Was thanked: 7568 time(s) in 3532 post(s)
I've seen posts on here from people buying DS for as little as $20. For that price I'd definitely go for it.

Whilst there have been rumours floating around about a new DS (for at least a year now), they haven't been confirmed by PC and there is no time frame for its release if in fact one is coming.

If you want to weld/skew/copy/rotate/group your images then the only way to do those things is with DS (or a Gypsy).

For $20 I believe just the welding option is worth the investment.

I agree - download the free trial version of DS and have a play. Here's the link: http://www.cricut.com/CDS/Update.aspx.

And here's some info on downloading and installing it: http://myfaqcricutds.blogspot.c...stalling-ds-updates.html

If you do in fact decide to purchase DS, you don't need to uninstall the version on your computer - just activate it with the serial number that will be on the cd envelope. (DON'T install from the cd - it's the original version from 2007 I believe).

Edited by user Sunday, January 02, 2011 6:36:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

scrapalette Online
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 02, 2011 11:19:36 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Was thanked: 18403 time(s) in 8177 post(s)
I agree! With as cheap as you can find DS, I'd buy it even though one of the Design Team engineers for the Imagine did say there would be a new design program in the future. Why wait when you can get a lot out of the current DS for very few $?
CristinaS Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 02, 2011 11:31:31 PM(UTC)
CristinaS

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi! I can't tell you whether you should buy Design Studio or not as I don't own it yet but I did just order it. I recieved a Cricut Create for Christmas and heard about DS on the board and thought it sounded realy neat. I found an AWESOME deal on www.cricutmachine.com where I got Design Studio and the Sampler cartridge for only $24.95. For that price I couldn't pass it up. I thought I'd pass it on in case you wanted to give DS a try.
Narelle Online
#6 Posted : Monday, January 03, 2011 1:03:13 AM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Was thanked: 7568 time(s) in 3532 post(s)
CristinaSlease wrote:
Hi! I can't tell you whether you should buy Design Studio or not as I don't own it yet but I did just order it. I recieved a Cricut Create for Christmas and heard about DS on the board and thought it sounded realy neat. I found an AWESOME deal on www.cricutmachine.com where I got Design Studio and the Sampler cartridge for only $24.95. For that price I couldn't pass it up. I thought I'd pass it on in case you wanted to give DS a try.

That's a great deal. If I didn't already own DS I'd order it! (Still might - I have a niece who would love it!)