Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

moml Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 01, 2011 4:00:20 PM(UTC)
moml

Groups: Registered

wow
I only cut out two names with my new mat and it isn't sticky anymore. I made two names to put on 2 wine bags (I'm new--not creative yet) and two of the letters fell off. I couldn't find them, so i decided to make them again. i actually had to hold it steady to finish these two letters.

How do I re-sticky it?!

laurahunter Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 01, 2011 4:10:15 PM(UTC)
laurahunter

Was thanked: 289 time(s) in 271 post(s)
I would start by washing your mat. I use dish soap and rubb lightly or babywipes. Let it air dry. This usually works well. If not you can use a zig 2 way pen or aleene's tack it over and over mixed 1 to 1 ratio with water. Just be careful if reappling adhesive. I have heard it can void the warranty of your machine.

There are several videos on utube that show you exactly how to do it.

Good Luck, Laura
 1 user thanked laurahunter for this useful post.
moml on 1/1/2011(UTC)
moml Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 01, 2011 4:17:13 PM(UTC)
moml

Is it normal to require mat washing so fast? How often does a mat need washed? I've never heard of the zig but I will look for it and I'll buy some baby wipes. Thanks!
Sherri Kay Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 01, 2011 5:06:39 PM(UTC)
Sherri Kay

United States

Was thanked: 2304 time(s) in 2062 post(s)
I would return it. Your mat should be very, very sticky right out of the package.
ChristineClauto Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 01, 2011 6:12:05 PM(UTC)
ChristineClauto

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I've only cut a few things out on my new cricut too. When I used glitter paper for a special project my mat lost its stickiness. Washing it really helped. I picked up a couple extra mats with my JoAnn's coupon today and spray adhesive to use when they run out of stickiness again. HTH
Khrista Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 01, 2011 11:01:57 PM(UTC)
Khrista

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2490 time(s) in 1389 post(s)
It may also depend what mat you're using. The new Imagine mat's (they have a black outline around the outer edge and some lines in the middle) have proven to not have as good of sticky as the original expression mats (just have a green edge). Keep baby wipes handy also. Using a baby wipe helps get the little stuck fibers and pieces off which helps in the stickiness. If you're using the original expression mats and after doing the tips suggested it's still not sticky I would see if you can return it or call ProvoCraft and see if they'll send you a replacement. I use my cricut a few times a week and I don't have to put a new mat in/new re-stickied one for quite a while.

If you go to youtube as suggested you can do a search on 'how to make your cricut mat sticky' and you should get a few video's. I just used a Zig pen to do two of mine tonight. It just makes them SUPER sticky though so use some cardstock for the first few uses before using thinner paper as it might rip it. You can also use a spray adhesive but have to make sure you tape the edges around the mat off so you don't get the wheels gunky. If you ever do glitter paper, I keep a separate mat for that as it just tends to kill a mat off in my experience and get's glitter everywhere. :)

HTH
Khrista :)
 1 user thanked Khrista for this useful post.
wvailfcad80b8 on 8/15/2012(UTC)
scrapalette Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 02, 2011 11:27:29 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 18387 time(s) in 8170 post(s)
The new mats (designed for use in the Imagine and Expression) have a different type of adhesive on them and it has to be activated before using. You have to wet them with warm water or burnish them to activate the glue.

Also, the mat that comes with your machine usually does not have the same "stickiness" as the new mats you can buy. I think the mat in the box with your machine is just a starter mat and may not last as long as the replacements.

Make sure you cover your mat with the clear plastic piece it comes with to keep dirt and dust from reducing the stickiness.
 1 user thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
wvailfcad80b8 on 8/15/2012(UTC)