Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

muddymom Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 3:41:11 PM(UTC)
muddymom

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi all,
I am totally new to Cricut machines, and I am totally confused. My husband gave me a little cricut for Christmas, but I am afraid to open the box because I am not sure if it is the one that I wanted. I can't find a comparison chart for the different machines. I don't mind the smaller size, I don't think I would need huge letters, etc. Most of what I do is card making. I really want to be certain that it cuts vinyl though. Can anyone give me a break down of the differences between the four different machines and why one is better than another. I was thinking of the expression, mainly because I haven't had good luck with my past HP printers so I didn't want to deal with the ink issues, but maybe the difference is worth it. HELP!!!
VinDeeLoo Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 3:43:58 PM(UTC)
VinDeeLoo

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Imagine is the one that prints. You can get pens to that go in like your blade that draws you design, but it does not color it like he Imagine. I am pretty sure the Baby Bug, Create and (I know) Expression cut vinyl. I think the only difference between those three is size.
 1 user thanked VinDeeLoo for this useful post.
muddymom on 12/27/2010(UTC)
MamaC2 Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 5:13:39 AM(UTC)
MamaC2

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 3512 time(s) in 1755 post(s)
Original Personal Cutter is a small Cricut that is limited in what it can do, but you can cut vinyl. You can upgrade this cutter with your Gypsy and it will cut using the G features when the G is attached. You are limited to the 6x12 mat. I purchased this machine in January 2008

Create Personal Cutter is a small Cricut, but it has all the features of the larger Expression. I do not have this machine, but I have seen it in operation. It would be a good machine to take to crops and on trips. It would be great for cards. You can cut vinyl. You are limited to the 6x12 mat.

Cricut Expression is the largest of the personal cutters. This machine will take the 12x12 and 12x24 mats. I purchased one in December 2008 and another one recently. Lots of features! I make tons of cards and I use this machine for all kinds of cards and images!

Cricut Imagine is the newest machine. I do not have the I, but it cuts/prints/cuts & prints! I think you can cut vinyl, but I am not 100% sure of this...I know you will get an answer about that question! I know you can use the 12x12 mat, but I don't know about the 12x24 mat. I am sure someone will answer that question, too!

Welcome to the world of Cricut and the message board!
 2 users thanked MamaC2 for this useful post.
muddymom on 12/28/2010(UTC), Tess Stewart on 12/30/2010(UTC)
6thprentontawnyowld26b3dd9 Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:15:39 AM(UTC)
6thprentontawnyowld26b3dd9

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 59 post(s)
i have the liottle bug but if you want to cut vinyl for windows and to go on jumpers and tshirts you need the design studio or a guspy as the letters need to be cut out backwards and you cannot do it unless you have the extra items , i have had me baby bug for a while now because you could not get the expression in england at the tine but i now wish i had waited the extra 1 year till the expression came out if your hasband does no mind i would deffentaly try to swap for the expression as you can still cut the small sized items out
 1 user thanked 6thprentontawnyowld26b3dd9 for this useful post.
muddymom on 12/28/2010(UTC)
enolamom Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:20:31 AM(UTC)
enolamom

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Maybe it would help if you went the Cricut.com website, click on Products, then looked at Cricut machines. If you then click on "details" for each different machine, it tells you sizes and features for the different models. I'm new at this too and knew I wanted the Expression from what I had read on these forums. I love it so far but have SO much to learn. Maybe this will help you get started though and help you know which machine is right for you.
muddymom Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 10:09:21 AM(UTC)
muddymom

MamaC wrote:
Original Personal Cutter is a small Cricut that is limited in what it can do, but you can cut vinyl. You can upgrade this cutter with your Gypsy and it will cut using the G features when the G is attached. You are limited to the 6x12 mat. I purchased this machine in January 2008

Create Personal Cutter is a small Cricut, but it has all the features of the larger Expression. I do not have this machine, but I have seen it in operation. It would be a good machine to take to crops and on trips. It would be great for cards. You can cut vinyl. You are limited to the 6x12 mat.

Cricut Expression is the largest of the personal cutters. This machine will take the 12x12 and 12x24 mats. I purchased one in December 2008 and another one recently. Lots of features! I make tons of cards and I use this machine for all kinds of cards and images!

Cricut Imagine is the newest machine. I do not have the I, but it cuts/prints/cuts & prints! I think you can cut vinyl, but I am not 100% sure of this...I know you will get an answer about that question! I know you can use the 12x12 mat, but I don't know about the 12x24 mat. I am sure someone will answer that question, too!

Welcome to the world of Cricut and the message board!

THANK YOU, MAMA C! That was the most helpful information I have received thus far.
muddymom Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 10:14:19 AM(UTC)
muddymom

lisajanerichards wrote:
i have the liottle bug but if you want to cut vinyl for windows and to go on jumpers and tshirts you need the design studio or a guspy as the letters need to be cut out backwards and you cannot do it unless you have the extra items , i have had me baby bug for a while now because you could not get the expression in england at the tine but i now wish i had waited the extra 1 year till the expression came out if your hasband does no mind i would deffentaly try to swap for the expression as you can still cut the small sized items out

LisaJane, thank you! That is just the kind of info that I need. I appreciate your help. BigGrin
muddymom Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 10:20:31 AM(UTC)
muddymom

enolamom wrote:
Maybe it would help if you went the Cricut.com website, click on Products, then looked at Cricut machines. If you then click on "details" for each different machine, it tells you sizes and features for the different models. I'm new at this too and knew I wanted the Expression from what I had read on these forums. I love it so far but have SO much to learn. Maybe this will help you get started though and help you know which machine is right for you.

Thank you, Enolamom. That was the first thing I did, but it really doesn't give the info that I was looking for to compare what they do. The answers that I am finding here are more helpful. I was really surprised that there was no comparison chart on the web site.
HisGem Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 10:24:36 AM(UTC)
HisGem

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 332 post(s)
Just to add on to what MommaC said. You can use vinyl in the Imagine. There is also printable vinyl available for use in the Imagine. Right now, we can only use a 12x12 mat. From what I know they are working on the 12x24. The bigger the mat, the harder it is for the cuts to align.

I have the other machines with the exception of the original bug. All are great machine! If you bought a gypsy, the original will then have the features of the Create. FYI Hope this helps.