Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
DeborahJordan2 Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 26, 2010 4:13:13 PM(UTC)
DeborahJordan2

Groups: Registered

Just wanted to stop by and say Hello..My Husband gave me the Cricut Expression for Christmas. Came with the Cricut Classic Font and Cricut Lite Playtime. Looking forward to trying it out. Have it out of the box but thats as far as I have gotten.BigGrin
Narelle Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 26, 2010 5:03:42 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 7615 time(s) in 3552 post(s)
Hi Deborah and welcome to the messageboard!

Congratulations on your new expression. Just one word of advice - HIDE YOUR CREDIT CARD! Laugh

We love to enable here.
DeborahJordan2 Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 26, 2010 6:31:38 PM(UTC)
DeborahJordan2

Thanks so much for the Welcome. Looking forward to all the great tips I will get here.Laugh
LindaGull Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 9:21:07 AM(UTC)
LindaGull

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 25 post(s)
My husband brought me a new cricut exprission for Chistmas also. I can tell it was a big mistake as soon as I learn to use it I will be hooked. I am already here seeing what I need to buy. First thing is the bigger mat. I am so excited to start my first project. There is so much I dont know where to start.
TulipCollector Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 9:37:25 AM(UTC)
TulipCollector

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 7221 time(s) in 2515 post(s)
Welcome to the party! I have made amazing friendships over the years and learned so much.

Jump in and join discussions, swaps and post your work.

Merry Christmas!
CraftiCritta (Lee) Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 11:53:55 AM(UTC)
CraftiCritta (Lee)

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hi All,

Congratulations to you both. Know you love your expressions as much as i do.

I've had my expression now for about 2 months and absolutely LOVE it. Have played around with it almost every single day / evening since then and always finding new possibilities with it Smile.

Also new to this forum and hope to meet many like-minded people and to learn as much as i possibly can about my cricut Smile.
Rose MaryParks Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 12:49:29 PM(UTC)
Rose MaryParks

Hi everyone........

I too just received a Cricut Expression from my husband for Christmas. I played around with it yesterday a little but just feel a little overwhelmed and really don't know where to start to create something using it. Any suggestions for a first project?
VinDeeLoo Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 3:46:49 PM(UTC)
VinDeeLoo

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Rose MaryParks wrote:
Hi everyone........

I too just received a Cricut Expression from my husband for Christmas. I played around with it yesterday a little but just feel a little overwhelmed and really don't know where to start to create something using it. Any suggestions for a first project?

For my first projects, I just cut out a couple things I knew my nieces would like. I then made them into posters for them.
Narelle Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 6:02:08 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Welcome to you all.

Grab one of the carts that came with your Expression and just start cutting things out.

Get to know what each button can do. Play with the blade depth, pressure and speed settings.

Be aware that your mat will most likely be super sticky. You may have problems getting your paper off it at first. You can try patting it all over (with the plastic cover sheet off) with your hands to take some of the sticky off. Don't try and use thin cardstock on it till it's a bit less sticky or you'll have the worst time getting it back off without ripping or curling.

Have fun and don't forget to post any questions you have!

Sing&Scrap Offline
#10 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 6:08:12 PM(UTC)
Sing&Scrap

United States

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 327 post(s)
Congrats to all of those new expression owners! You will love them. My DH surprised me with an Imagine... so that has me feeling overwhelmed. I've set it up and done the cartridge update but haven't gone online to update. THink that will be tomorrow night's project. I think I need to do some serious crafting to justify this present!
 1 user thanked Sing&Scrap for this useful post.
CraftiCritta (Lee) on 12/28/2010(UTC)
muddymom Offline
#11 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 8:04:19 PM(UTC)
muddymom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
WOW Ladies! I just got the baby bug for Christmas...I think that I should be jealous.Drool
Narelle Offline
#12 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 8:10:37 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Hey, the baby bug is nothing to be scoffed at! Smile Most of us "old timers" started out with him! I still have him even though I have the Expression. I think I probably use them equally, especially as I have Design Studio to design with.

You'll be amazed at what you can achieve with that little guy!
 1 user thanked Narelle for this useful post.
muddymom on 12/27/2010(UTC)
LaGeorgiaPaperie Offline
#13 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 8:11:57 PM(UTC)
LaGeorgiaPaperie

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 33 post(s)
welcome! glad you discovered the forum, lots of helpful tips on here!
muddymom Offline
#14 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 8:59:10 PM(UTC)
muddymom

Narelle (GirlfromOz) wrote:
Hey, the baby bug is nothing to be scoffed at! Smile Most of us "old timers" started out with him! I still have him even though I have the Expression. I think I probably use them equally, especially as I have Design Studio to design with.

You'll be amazed at what you can achieve with that little guy!

Can you tell me what the biggest difference is, (besides the size)? Can the baby cut vinyl? What is the difference between DS and Gypsy? I need to be able to weld letters into words.
sweetpea1030 Offline
#15 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 10:38:26 PM(UTC)
sweetpea1030

Was thanked: 1604 time(s) in 1019 post(s)
Since you've been so warmly welcomed, I will dispense with the welcome and issue an
ENABLER ALERT!!!!!

You have no idea what these people here on the MB are capable of. They can come up with the most amazing LOs (Layouts), cards, and other crafts you could imagine (no pun intended). You will be mesmerized into thinking thoughts such as "Wow, I want to do that" or "I've got to have that cart(cartridge)" or similar expressions (no pun intended).

You will lose sleep thinking about buying carts, which carts to buy, should I take that back, "Oh, no, I hope nobody finds out how much I spent". There's no end to it. This is a dangerous place to be for anybody even remotely interested in crafts. There is so much encouragement and inspiration here that you will continue to come. You won't be able to resist. When you're not here, you'll be thinking of what cartridges and other soon-to-become necessary items you need. You've been warned. Take the advice given regarding your credit card(s).

When I was warned, I tossed it off, but I should have listened. I won't mention my "crimes of crafting" here because I hate to leave a paper trail.
BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

WELCOME TO THE MB NEWBIES!
LOL

Edited by user Monday, December 27, 2010 10:41:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LenoreSovereign Offline
#16 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 10:46:09 PM(UTC)
LenoreSovereign

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Welcome to all of you. We always love having new members who share our love of all things cricut!!! You will love your new machines.
muddymom Offline
#17 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 10:48:29 PM(UTC)
muddymom

sweetpea1030 wrote:
Since you've been so warmly welcomed, I will dispense with the welcome and issue an
ENABLER ALERT!!!!!

You have no idea what these people here on the MB are capable of. They can come up with the most amazing LOs (Layouts), cards, and other crafts you could imagine (no pun intended). You will be mesmerized into thinking thoughts such as "Wow, I want to do that" or "I've got to have that cart(cartridge)" or similar expressions (no pun intended).

You will lose sleep thinking about buying carts, which carts to buy, should I take that back, "Oh, no, I hope nobody finds out how much I spent". There's no end to it. This is a dangerous place to be for anybody even remotely interested in crafts. There is so much encouragement and inspiration here that you will continue to come. You won't be able to resist. When you're not here, you'll be thinking of what cartridges and other soon-to-become necessary items you need. You've been warned. Take the advice given regarding your credit card(s).

When I was warned, I tossed it off, but I should have listened. I won't mention my "crimes of crafting" here because I hate to leave a paper trail.

LOL

tee hee hee
#18 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:01:48 AM(UTC)
CraftiCritta (Lee)

sweetpea1030 wrote:
ENABLER ALERT!!!!!

LOL

Bwahahahaha!!! I was nodding my head at almost every single sentence... I've definitely lost many hours of sleep, bought way to much of anything and everything to do with my crafts. Lol!

Suppose it's a good thing i dont remember my credit card pin. BigGrin Now that i have my expression i just want to cut and try everything.

Let the creative juices flow...
Narelle Offline
#19 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:20:42 AM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

muddymom wrote:
Can you tell me what the biggest difference is, (besides the size)? Can the baby cut vinyl? What is the difference between DS and Gypsy? I need to be able to weld letters into words.

The baby cricut can definitely cut vinyl. One difference between the two is that the Expression has a Multi cut button. This means you can cut thicker materials by getting the Expression to cut over the same area twice.

The baby cricut doesn't have multi cut, but you can achieve the same thing by pressing LOAD paper after you have cut your design once (the blade will return back to its original position) then press Repeat Last, and then the Cut button.

DS is a computer program that allows you to weld, copy, skew, rotate, group (kind of) and flip objects. You create your design on the virtual DS mat, attach the cricut to your computer (with the supplied USB cable) and press the Cut button in DS. (Most of the buttons on the Cricut don't work when you're using DS and the Gypsy.)

With DS you still need to have the physical cartridges to insert into the Cricut before you can cut the design.

The Gypsy is a hand held device that is similar to the DS program. However you have to link your carts to the Gypsy (they remain permanently linked) before you can cut the design. But in this way you don't have to insert the carts in your machine. (You should put them away for safe keeping, because if something happens to your Gypsy, you'll need them to load back on the new/repaired one.) The Gypsy also has a much smaller screen than DS, but MANY people like it more because it has some features that are easier to use than on DS.

You can download DS from here: http://www.cricut.com/CDS/Update.aspx. It will stay in trial mode until your purchase a copy and use the serial number off the cd envelope to activate it.

You'll need a type A/B USB cable to connect your cricut to the computer. The one on your printer will most likely work.

With the trial version you can design with all the carts but only cut with the George cart. (It should have come with your Cricut. Unless you got Playtime with yours????

Edited by user Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:24:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Scrappy Tinman Offline
#20 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:34:41 AM(UTC)
Scrappy Tinman

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
just wanted to pass along my welcome to both cricut and the MB. I would have to say that the message board it one of the most vital tools you will find for the cricut. It is filled with lots of ideas on things to cut, more importantly I have yet to find a question of problem that I could not solve by searching the board. It is so nice to have a resource available 24/7 that has been right where I am and gotten it worked out. So jump in and ask whatever comes up.

Can't wait to see your first projects.

SherryNicholson Offline
#21 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:57:17 AM(UTC)
SherryNicholson

Location: Beautiful State of South Carolina / MQ page 7 post 169

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Welcome to the MB. Keep your first projects simple so you can just get a good feel of what your machine can do. Then move to the advanced "OOOHHHHH AAAAHHHHHH" projects that you see on these MBs. Enjoy and can't wait to see what you can do. BigGrin
Rose MaryParks Offline
#22 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 8:20:45 AM(UTC)
Rose MaryParks

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! And thanks for the advice about hiding my credit card, but I fear that with all the advice in the world, that I will be unable to resist buying new things. I have already been searching for more products to use. OhMyGod Still just playing around with my Cricut and cutting various things...trying to understand the layering. Hope to start really creating soon!!! Wish me luck!
ShirleyWheeler1 Offline
#23 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 8:51:00 AM(UTC)
ShirleyWheeler1

Afternoon everyone. Yes I'm new to the Expression (and have today also received CDS). Haven't really used either of them in anger yet (uploaded new version of DS). Will definitely be using the forum to 'pick people's brains' and look for projects/ideas.

Happy New Year to you all.

Take care, ShirlLaugh
#24 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 10:02:19 AM(UTC)
CraftiCritta (Lee)

Narelle (GirlfromOz) wrote:
Welcome to you all.

Grab one of the carts that came with your Expression and just start cutting things out.

Get to know what each button can do. Play with the blade depth, pressure and speed settings.

Be aware that your mat will most likely be super sticky. You may have problems getting your paper off it at first. You can try patting it all over (with the plastic cover sheet off) with your hands to take some of the sticky off. Don't try and use thin cardstock on it till it's a bit less sticky or you'll have the worst time getting it back off without ripping or curling.

Have fun and don't forget to post any questions you have!

I was so eager to start using my expression that i just jumped in and hoped for the best. Became irritated that i couldn't figure out the correct blade depth & pressure that i practiced for days and went through quite an amount of card stock, but as they say practice makes perfect. Now i just have to figure out the layers story Laugh
Rosygirl Offline
#25 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:07:30 PM(UTC)
Rosygirl

Was thanked: 237 time(s) in 113 post(s)
Just another warning.....if you are like me as well as starting to feel more of the deadly sin of LUST you will become a posting addict where you will put a project on the boards and then keep going back 50 times a day to see if anyone has commented on it. If you don't get any or only a few comments you will plunge to the depths of despair and look at other peoples projects and think...mine is as GOOD as if not BETTER so why don't hey like it???????

On the other hand you will also get so many fantastic ideas ( the word scraplift should be in the new dictionaries as it is so widely used) and great support from all the other ladies and men who share this wonderful craft with you.

Good luck and can't wait to see your first projects

Rosy
muddymom Offline
#26 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:20:00 PM(UTC)
muddymom

Rosygirl wrote:
Just another warning.....if you are like me as well as starting to feel more of the deadly sin of LUST you will become a posting addict where you will put a project on the boards and then keep going back 50 times a day to see if anyone has commented on it. If you don't get any or only a few comments you will plunge to the depths of despair and look at other peoples projects and think...mine is as GOOD as if not BETTER so why don't hey like it???????

On the other hand you will also get so many fantastic ideas ( the word scraplift should be in the new dictionaries as it is so widely used) and great support from all the other ladies and men who share this wonderful craft with you.

Good luck and can't wait to see your first projects

Rosy

I LOVE it!! Thanks for the warning LOL
KrisWest Offline
#27 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:35:25 PM(UTC)
KrisWest

I just got into the Expression with the gypsy and am loving it. I have to say this site has been a wonderful enabler! There are so many wonderful creative people here that I love seeing what others will create and what ideas that will give me.

Welcome to this addictive habit, can't wait to see what it will help you create.
LisaCarrier Offline
#28 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 7:26:34 PM(UTC)
LisaCarrier

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
My husband also gave me a Cricut Expression for Christmas. But the one he got did not come with any cartridges. I am very eager to get started, but I need to know what cartridges does everyone recommend I start with.

I am also wondering where can you get the downloads to get things from an internet download vs buying cartridges.

Thanks
#29 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 7:52:17 PM(UTC)
--

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Welcome to the MB! :) I'm new too! And love learning and sharing ideas...this MB has helped a TON!BigGrin
LovinPink Offline
#30 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 10:09:35 PM(UTC)
LovinPink

DeborahJordan2 wrote:
Just wanted to stop by and say Hello..My Husband gave me the Cricut Expression for Christmas. Came with the Cricut Classic Font and Cricut Lite Playtime. Looking forward to trying it out. Have it out of the box but thats as far as I have gotten.BigGrin

I got the same thing for xmas :) I've been playing around with the playtime cartridge and just working on making the little figures. It's helping me in getting to learn how it works before i work on something super extravagant. I'm hooked already :)