Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

ShelleyRN Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, December 24, 2010 2:27:31 PM(UTC)
ShelleyRN

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)
A few newbie questions!

1. What do you do with "scraps" after using cricut? Is it silly to save them all thinking I might one day "need" them? I did use the shadow cut feature to do some shapes I know I can use for cards and things, but wasn't sure if once most of the usable space was used, if I should still keep them!

2. I was using some paper out of a stack, so a little bit thick, and some shapes weren't being cut 100% through. As I punched them through, the tear wasn't even. Do I need to use higher pressure? I was on medium.

3. I was making a robot for my son on "Boys will be boys". I made the robot 5 inches. Then when I made the eyes, decoration on the same setting they were huge. Is there a way to make the accessory pieces proportionate to the background?

4. I was only doing 1 of each item, what if I wanted 5 or 10 or as many as the page would hold? How would I increase that?!

Thanks for the help!! I am sure to have more questions the more I play with it!

Edited to add:
5. What is the best glue/adhesive to get the small detail pieces to stick to the other pieces you've cut? (Ribbon on a present, eyes on a robot, etc.)

I figured 3 and 4 out with the manual today!! And, I have an expression!!

Edited by user Saturday, December 25, 2010 12:23:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TinaW528 Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, December 24, 2010 3:34:40 PM(UTC)
TinaW528

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 726 time(s) in 617 post(s)
I hope I can help and I know other on the message board can too! Do you have an expression or the original cricut (baby bug)? Not all of the features I mention are on the original.

ShelleyRN wrote:
A few newbie questions!

1. What do you do with "scraps" after using cricut? Is it silly to save them all thinking I might one day "need" them? I did use the shadow cut feature to do some shapes I know I can use for cards and things, but wasn't sure if once most of the usable space was used, if I should still keep them!

I save most of my scraps. I keep them organized in a large file folder by color and then several for patterns in the back. I try to use my scraps when I cut little pieces.

2. I was using some paper out of a stack, so a little bit thick, and some shapes weren't being cut 100% through. As I punched them through, the tear wasn't even. Do I need to use higher pressure? I was on medium.

Yes, often the thicker paper needs the maximum pressure. You can also use the multi-cut button which will go over the same cut 2 or 3 times.

3. I was making a robot for my son on "Boys will be boys". I made the robot 5 inches. Then when I made the eyes, decoration on the same setting they were huge. Is there a way to make the accessory pieces proportionate to the background?

I don't have the cartridge, but have often done layering. Make sure that you do not have the real-size setting on. It will mess up the layering capability.

4. I was only doing 1 of each item, what if I wanted 5 or 10 or as many as the page would hold? How would I increase that?!

On the expression there is a quantity button that you can set to make the number you would like. You can also use the fill page button if you want as many as the sheet will hold.

Have fun playing with you new toy!

Thanks for the help!! I am sure to have more questions the more I play with it!

1 user thanked TinaW528 for this useful post.
ShelleyRN on 12/25/2010(UTC)
Scrappy Tinman Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 26, 2010 6:20:03 AM(UTC)
Scrappy Tinman

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I do not save scraps anymore. My rule is if it is smaller than 6x6 I don't keep it. When I first started I saved every scrap thinking I would use it eventually... when eventually came around the scrap was too small, slightly wrong in color or took to long to find. So I just pitch them now. I don't even save negative images anymore for the same reason. I use the cut I have made and and happy with it.

I always laugh at myself because I will spend almost anything I want to get a new cartridge or a new tool or whatever but it just pains me to toss a 2x2 scrap of 12x12 paper that I spent 70 for. So I have to have a saving rule that I cannot let myself violate!!!

Enjoy your new toy.
 1 user thanked Scrappy Tinman for this useful post.
ShelleyRN on 12/26/2010(UTC)