Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tuplohune Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 7:37:17 PM(UTC)
Tuplohune

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 15 post(s)
So I am looking for a first camera for my 12 year old. She picked out the nikon coolpixs 3000 which looks like a great camera. It's on sale for 109 (149 normally) at amazon....I was trying to stay at 100 or below.
Then I found the Kodak Easy Share 143 C at amazon (or walmart) for 70 bucks. Seems to have similar options but a bit cheaper.
Now I like to see the reviews on amazon and most for the coolpix were great, the kodak only had a few and they were great too, but the 142 weren't good reviews. Seems like the nikon is the better option but I am hesitant to give that expensive of a point and shoot to my daughter for her first camera. The only things she cares most about is it being green (good color huh?ThumpUp ) and have video option in addition to point and shoot.
Anyone own either of these or have other good options.
TIA for any ideas/thoughts/opinions
Sarah
letypedroza Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 7:58:53 PM(UTC)
letypedroza

Was thanked: 204 time(s) in 139 post(s)
The coolpix is a good camera, but at 12 years old believe me that camera is going to go thru alot. I own Kodak cameras and only Kodak, reason being they are very easy to use and the price. Most cameras are basically the same the difference is in the soft ware and the lens. Kodak has one of the best lenses out there and their software was the basis for 85% of ALL camera software. they were the first to make digital cameras and LCD screens and they invented the plasma t.v.. Hope I helped.
candyharris Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 11:06:21 PM(UTC)
candyharris

I have several Easyshare cameras. I use them for my business where I take ALOT of photos. My cameras go thru extreme conditions, cold, hot, high humidity, crawl spaces, attics in summer, frequent on off action, weekley taking upwards of 500 shots. you get the idea. I have tried a few other cameras in the under $120
price range but they didnt last and sorry I honestly dont even remember the brands. I have had easyshares break but the most common reason is dropping them with the lense extended. They take standard AA batteries so no special chargers for the kids to loose, a cheap sd memory card , under $12 at big lots,they are pretty durable, take short videos ( no sound). and are very simple to use. Now the bad do not get one that you turn the dial to turn on and off make sure it has a push button on off switch. The dial ones wear out. A set of batteries seems to last around 1000 shots with flash. ok thats all I can think of hope it helps.
scrapnfan Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 11:13:23 PM(UTC)
scrapnfan

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 215 post(s)
I had a Kodak easy share and got rid of it. It would probably be fine for a 12 year old. I wasn't impressed at all. I am hoping to get something else in the next few months but I'm more particular than a 12 year old probably would be.
GloriaContreras3 Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 11:24:54 PM(UTC)
GloriaContreras3

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Ive had a few Nikons and most recently the Nikon D300, I love all the features and the easy way to navigate through all the features. I had 1 Kodak and it seemed like a cheap camera. I would go for the Nikon and invest a little more so it could last her longer.
Jen Jen Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, November 22, 2010 11:39:49 AM(UTC)
Jen Jen

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 90 post(s)
We bought our three girls cameras two years ago and they were the Panasonic Lumix cameras.
We all loved them because: They do not have a lag time on taking the picture(shutter interval), The LCD screen is large at 2.7, and they are easy to carry. They take nice crisp pictures.

Good luck to you!
scrapsprite Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, November 22, 2010 1:24:05 PM(UTC)
scrapsprite

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 93 post(s)
letypedroza wrote:
Kodak has one of the best lenses out there and their software was the basis for 85% of ALL camera software. they were the first to make digital cameras and LCD screens and they invented the plasma t.v..

This is not to say that Kodak isn't a good company but to set the record straight, they did not invent the plasma TV. I'm not trying to be snarky Wink but I had to comment on this because my DH and I are personal friends of the man that did invent the plasma TV. Just a few years ago he won an Emmy award for that technology although it was actually developed by him and another man many years ago.Smile