Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

kaylaholloway Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2010 9:52:52 AM(UTC)
kaylaholloway

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone!
I am TOTALLY new to the Cricut idea. Infact, I attended a craft show, saw a glass cake stand with a monogram and 3/4" dots on it and decided to start researching how to do 1. My research lead me to Cricut. I kjnow NOTHING about this thing! I simply want to make the cake stand (maybe a couple of them) for Christmas gifts. I have no idea where to start. Which machine? What kind of "paper". I'm so confused! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks!
Kayla

Edited by user Sunday, November 14, 2010 11:38:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

scubascrapper Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2010 10:10:43 AM(UTC)
scubascrapper

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 388 time(s) in 219 post(s)
Wow, you may be looking at investing A LOT of money to make just a few cake stands...but we LOVE to have new people to enable here LOL.

First to do the etching for any glass items, you would of course need a Cricut machine. Depending on if/what else you may use the machine for in the future would determine which machine you should get. Here is a list of the machines and their capabilities:

Original Personal Cutter (aka baby bug or V1): allows cutting on a 6x12 mat; will cut letters/shapes from 1" - 11.5"
Expression: allows cutting on a 12x12 or 12x24 mat; will cut letters/shapes from .25" - 23.5"; has 6 additional modes and 6 additional functions.
Create: allows cutting on a 6x12 mat; will cut letters/shapes from .25" - 11.5"; has 6 additional modes and 6 additional functions.

Cricut machines work by using a specific cartridge that is full of images, shapes and/or fonts. All cartridges are compatible with any of the above mentioned machines (and the Cricut Cake too). These machines will cut a lot of different mediums; from paper to fabric to vinyl to chipboard. If you are concentrating on etching glass then you would want to cut with vinyl (Cricut vinyl can be found at most Walmarts in the scrapbook section near the Cricut Cartridges). You would simply be cutting out a stencil to lay on the cake stand and then you would need to buy etching cream (can be found at most craft stores).

I hope that I have answered all of the questions you have at this point. If you have more, simply ask...the ladies on these boards are simply awesome and will share ideas, techniques and are just extremely generous. Good luck!
Penguin Collector Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2010 10:22:20 AM(UTC)
Penguin Collector

United States

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 147 post(s)
On You Tube there are videos on glass etching with the Cricut, here is one, HTH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxSKRueSW78
kaylaholloway Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2010 11:01:31 AM(UTC)
kaylaholloway

Ooops! I'm sorry! I don't want to etch the glass. The dots and monogram look like maybe vinyl??? Here is a beautiful example.
http://www.thepreppypolk...-Monogram-Cake-Stand.htm
JennNJ Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2010 11:51:42 AM(UTC)
JennNJ

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 14 post(s)
If you plan on doing more projects than just making a few christmas gifts for people, I think the purchase of a cricut machine is a great idea. There are endless possibilities with the cricut. I have the cricut expression and a gypsy machine and majority of the time I use them for vinyl cuts. I sell tons of my vinyl cuts and think the machines are the best investment I have made thus far. I would look into it more and decided if they are something you want to purchase and which one would best fit your needs.
kaylaholloway Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2010 12:06:48 PM(UTC)
kaylaholloway

Thanks everyone! So it is vinyl on the cake stand? Can the cheapest Cricut machine do the dots and letters for me? Jenn, I noticed on your pic, it looks like what I maybe wanting to do.? Do you actually sell the letters and dots?
**lol:)*** Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2010 2:33:32 PM(UTC)
**lol:)***

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 25 post(s)
The original cricut will cut the letters and the dots but you will be limited to a 6x12 size. With the expression you can go up to 12x24. If you can wait untill black friday you might be able to find really cheap cricuts, I know wal-mart will have theirs on sale.
scubascrapper Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2010 5:43:15 PM(UTC)
scubascrapper

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 388 time(s) in 219 post(s)
kaylaholloway wrote:
Thanks everyone! So it is vinyl on the cake stand? Can the cheapest Cricut machine do the dots and letters for me? Jenn, I noticed on your pic, it looks like what I maybe wanting to do.? Do you actually sell the letters and dots?

I am not sure that is vinyl...I wouldn't think that would wash well. However, it could be.

EDIT: actually, it is vinyl. I read on the website that it is outdoor vinyl and everything has to be handwashed and cannot be scrubbed.

Edited by user Sunday, November 14, 2010 5:46:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified