Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

mswanson502 Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, November 12, 2010 9:29:23 PM(UTC)
mswanson502

Groups: Registered

I'm thinking of buying the Cricut Create. I sell custom invitations and frequently do die cut shapes. Right now I'm hand cutting them, which is not fun at all! Here's some of my questions:

1) If I will be using Sure Cuts A Lot, will I need cartridges also? I only want to cut shapes that I have custom designed on my computer that are about 8"x5.5" in size.
2) Is there any other programs that I will need to buy in order to use Sure Cuts A Lot or my Cricut Create (if that's the one I buy)?
3) What other costs should I expect?
1) If I don't print on paper that's larger than 8.5"x11", will the Cricut Create work for me?

I appreciate any help. I'm leary of buying one until I know what I'm getting into. I have never seen one used and don't really know anything about them. Thank you!
cricutcrazylisa Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 13, 2010 4:50:01 PM(UTC)
cricutcrazylisa

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 81 post(s)
The Create will only take the 6 X 12 mat. That being said it does have all the features that the expression has so you should be able to put your design in portrait mode and cut the size you need. Dure cuts a lot works with a free software from the internet and for the life of me I can't remember the name it just flittered away. Anyway, I hope this helps. As for the other costs....This machine is addictive and you may find yourself branching out! Good look on your decision!

Lisa

Edited by user Saturday, November 13, 2010 4:51:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

scraphappybette Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 13, 2010 5:56:07 PM(UTC)
scraphappybette

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 48 post(s)
a friend of mine got the create last christmas and before july she had the expression!!
WM will have the expression for $185 on Black Friday!
Alicia Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:48:39 AM(UTC)
Alicia

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 93 post(s)
I just bought my expression at cricutmachine.com they are an authorized retailer and have the cricut expression (in champagne) for $154. :D I'm expecting REALLY slow free shipping... but it's the best price I've found. I was also looking at the create but I decided that if I was going to spend the money I should just invest in the bigger mat so I won't have to upgrade again later. Also you could check Craigslist. I see them all the time locally.

I would still probably buy a cartridge or two. I am going to buy SCAL but I want to start out with a cartridge. They have so many cute coordinating patterns. I am hoping it will make learning the machine a little easier in the beginning.

Edited by user Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:49:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sweetpea1030 Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:42:56 PM(UTC)
sweetpea1030

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 1604 time(s) in 1019 post(s)
Hey guys, welcome to the Cricut Forum. Since you are newbies, I'll try to tell you what you need to know so it's not pulled by the moderator. The software program you speak of is a direct competitor of Provo Craft and should not and cannot be discussed on the MB.

The Expression is a larger machine, made to do heavy duty/use types of cuts, multiple cuts of the same thing. It is not meant to be moved around but to remain in one place. It is heavy and has no carrying handle. It has the full spectrum of specialty cuts offered by Provo Craft at this time. The Create is a smaller/portable version of the Expression, with most of the specialty features of the Expression. The Expression uses the 12x12 cutting mats and can cut up from .25 inches to 11.5 inches. The Create uses a 12x6 cutting mat.

The Provo Craft machines are made to work with Provo Craft products. The Design Studio software is available from Provo Craft and works with all the machines and cartridges.

That being said, the use of any non-Provo Craft products with any of your machines will void your warranty. The machines are made to cut with cartridges that are designed by Provo Craft, not any of third-party software, which is what you're asking about. HTH