Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

ShananCoats Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 06, 2010 6:06:52 PM(UTC)
ShananCoats

Groups: Registered

I just got my Cricut today and I am trying to cut out 8" Squares out of fabric a light wt Denim. Every time a start the cutting the blade makes the fabric bunch up and it does not cut. What can I do now. Confused Mad
KristenLong Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 06, 2010 6:22:28 PM(UTC)
KristenLong

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 459 time(s) in 256 post(s)
ShananCoats wrote:
I just got my Cricut today and I am trying to cut out 8" Squares out of fabric a light wt Denim. Every time a start the cutting the blade makes the fabric bunch up and it does not cut. What can I do now. Confused Mad

Do you have the deep cut blade? Since you just got your cricut I assume you are using a brand new mat, right? Is the mat really sticky like it should be? Does the fabric stick well to it?
ShananCoats Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 06, 2010 6:36:47 PM(UTC)
ShananCoats

It is a new mat and paper sticks great to it but I don't think the fabric sticks like it should. I have tried to roll it down with a rolling pin. I have tried the blade on different #, and still no luck. Do I need a Deep cut blade to make it work?
Loves2Smock Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 06, 2010 6:43:36 PM(UTC)
Loves2Smock

United States

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 31 post(s)
ShananCoats wrote:
It is a new mat and paper sticks great to it but I don't think the fabric sticks like it should. I have tried to roll it down with a rolling pin. I have tried the blade on different #, and still no luck. Do I need a Deep cut blade to make it work?

Denim is not going to cut well with the cricut machines. before cutting any fabric, you need to iron a backing to it. Freezer paper works well.
ShananCoats Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 06, 2010 6:48:20 PM(UTC)
ShananCoats

What Fabric works well with the Cricut and I have to put a backing on all the fabric before cutting?
Loves2Smock Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 06, 2010 6:57:10 PM(UTC)
Loves2Smock

United States

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 31 post(s)
ShananCoats wrote:
What Fabric works well with the Cricut and I have to put a backing on all the fabric before cutting?

Lighter weight closely woven cottons work well. You need a backing for two reasons. First, it keeps the fabric on the mat, and second, it keeps the fabric from stretching and bunching while the blade drags over it. I have heard of people using heavy starch to make the fabric stiff, but it can be messy and expensive. Freezer paper is really easy (us quilters have been using it for years for appliques). You just iron it to the back side of the fabric, with the shiny side of the paper to the fabric. When you are done cutting it will peel off easily.
Khrista Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 06, 2010 7:47:40 PM(UTC)
Khrista

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2490 time(s) in 1389 post(s)
Freezer paper or something like Steam-A-Seam if you're going to do applique (leave the paper on). It gives the fabric more stiffness so it doesn't bunch up. With a deep blade, I would think it might cut denim. I haven't tried that thick. I've done cotton. Sometimes is good to take blue painters tape and tape at least two of the sides down. Lots of video's on youtube if you do a search on cutting fabric with the cricut.

:)Khrista