Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

VinniesMom Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, November 01, 2010 11:18:40 PM(UTC)
VinniesMom

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I took my first try at re-sticking my mats but was not very happy with the results. Wondering if I did something wrong....

My first attempt was with a spray adhesive which was horrible. But, the second attempt was with the 2-way Zig pen everyone seems to love. The first time I cut on the mat it did ok but left a lot of paper debris on my mat. When I cleaned it with a baby wipe, it took off the adhesive. Then, when I tried to cut on it again, it is tearing the back of the paper. Any suggestion? Did I do it wrong?

Thanks for any ideas!
LorraineB Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, November 01, 2010 11:41:17 PM(UTC)
LorraineB

Was thanked: 997 time(s) in 442 post(s)
I don't know if this will help you, but I just did mine, and I add a thin layer of the 2 way. Make sure it is completely dry before you reuse your mat. I know that some colors of card stock such as black leave some fibers behind. Other than that, I'm not sure why your cuts are tearing. Did you clean your mat again after using the spray on? Maybe that affected the Zig adhesive. I hope someone can pin point your problem.
LorraineB
Lguild Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, November 01, 2010 11:46:40 PM(UTC)
Lguild

Was thanked: 1717 time(s) in 690 post(s)
ZIG 2 way is what I use all the time to restick mine. I bought the one with the wide applicator tip and just brush the glue on one direction then turn the mat and brush it on crossways to be sure I've got it covered well.

I let it dry overnight and it's ready to use. One thing I don't do is put the clear plastic covers on my mats inbetween uses. But mine get used on a regular basis.

My paper hasn't stuck to any of my mats I've reglued. Is it all the paper you cut that's sticking? Including card stock? Or just paper?

The only time I clean my mats is when they get to the point that paper won't stick and then I scrub them with a plastic scrubby and just reglue them.
Doodlebugs Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 12:05:15 AM(UTC)
Doodlebugs

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 59 post(s)
I tried Zig a few times and hate it for anything I used Ailenes tack over and over again and feel its almost better then a new mat works wonders
~tallulah~ Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 12:22:04 AM(UTC)
~tallulah~

Was thanked: 343 time(s) in 247 post(s)
i've only ever used the krylon REPOSITIONABLE adhesive spray. clean the old sticky and gunk off your mats. tape the green edges with painters tape. take the mat outside and do even sprays one way across the mat, then another. light sprays!

let dry completely. use your hand to pat it to take the too-stickiness out of it.
VinniesMom Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 12:52:39 AM(UTC)
VinniesMom

~talulah~ wrote:
I've only ever used the krylon RE-POSITIONABLE adhesive spray. clean the old sticky and gunk off your mats. tape the green edges with painters tape. take the mat outside and do even sprays one way across the mat, then another. light sprays!

let dry completely. use your hand to pat it to take the too-stickiness out of it.

The first thing I did try was the "Krylon Easy-Tack Re-positionable Adhesive" Is that the one you use?? It seemed to work good the first few times but lost it's stick really quick.
VinniesMom Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 12:57:52 AM(UTC)
VinniesMom

Lguild wrote:
ZIG 2 way is what I use all the time to restick mine. I bought the one with the wide applicator tip and just brush the glue on one direction then turn the mat and brush it on crossways to be sure I've got it covered well.

I let it dry overnight and it's ready to use. One thing I don't do is put the clear plastic covers on my mats in between uses. But mine get used on a regular basis.

My paper hasn't stuck to any of my mats I've reglued. Is it all the paper you cut that's sticking? Including card stock? Or just paper?

The only time I clean my mats is when they get to the point that paper won't stick and then I scrub them with a plastic scrubby and just reglue them.

I did buy the wide tip applicator and went in both directions. I also let it dry overnight

So far I have only used card stock on it the 2 times I tried, One just a little heavier than the other.

All those tips are great, but it's seems like I did that part right, thanks for the tips!!

What kind of "plastic scrubby" are you using to clean the mat with?
VinniesMom Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 1:02:24 AM(UTC)
VinniesMom

LorraineB wrote:
I don't know if this will help you, but I just did mine, and I add a thin layer of the 2 way. Make sure it is completely dry before you reuse your mat. I know that some colors of card stock such as black leave some fibers behind. Other than that, I'm not sure why your cuts are tearing. Did you clean your mat again after using the spray on? Maybe that affected the Zig adhesive. I hope someone can pin point your problem.
LorraineB

I didn't clean the mat again since it wasn't really sticky and the layer of adhesive was so thin. Maybe I will try that. Also, how "thin" is your layer of zig? Mine seemed kinda thick to me. Maybe that makes a difference? What is odd is that I can get the image off the mat but the back it all tore and shredded. I doesn't matter as much if you are just gluing it to a layout but it may make a difference when using it for projects when you need both sides pretty.
Coggie4556 Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 1:09:56 AM(UTC)
Coggie4556

Was thanked: 86 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Our hostess at the swarm I went to this weekend sprayed her repositionable spray to the back of her cardstock rather than the mat. It worked much better. She sprayed a light amount to the back of each cardstock piece and didn't have any issues with tearing or fibers being left behind.

Shelley
VinniesMom Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 1:16:23 AM(UTC)
VinniesMom

Coggie4556 wrote:
Our hostess at the swarm I went to this weekend sprayed her repositionable spray to the back of her card stock rather than the mat. It worked much better. She sprayed a light amount to the back of each card stock piece and didn't have any issues with tearing or fibers being left behind.

Shelley

That sounds great for things your are cutting and using then. I happen to be cutting things for a RAK that I am mailing so I wouldn't want them to be sticky. I love the idea for something you are working on right then!!

Thanks!
Lguild Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 2:14:24 AM(UTC)
Lguild

Was thanked: 1717 time(s) in 690 post(s)
VinniesMom wrote:
I did buy the wide tip applicator and went in both directions. I also let it dry overnight

So far I have only used card stock on it the 2 times I tried, One just a little heavier than the other.

All those tips are great, but it's seems like I did that part right, thanks for the tips!!

What kind of "plastic scrubby" are you using to clean the mat with?

I believe they're called a Chore Girl. It's the little round ones you find near the SOS pads at the grocery store. I also use one that was crocheted from nylon netting sometimes.
Barjo Offline
#12 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 2:37:15 AM(UTC)
Barjo

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Sometimes when you use the Zig glue it will make the mat really sticky (more sticky than a new mat). Pull a 12x12 piece of cardstock on and off the mat several times, that will make the mat loose some of it's stickiness. I use the Zig method all the time and love it.
limerent Offline
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 3:25:38 AM(UTC)
limerent

Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 83 post(s)
I've heard of Chore Boy, so this made me smile. But those are regular rectangle shape. Next time I'm at the grocery store, I will look up Chore Girl. Laugh

Lguild wrote:
I believe they're called a Chore Girl. It's the little round ones you find near the SOS pads at the grocery store.

Luv to scrap Offline
#14 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 4:06:49 AM(UTC)
Luv to scrap

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I throw my mats in the laundry tub and use a scrub brush with a small amount of Tide. the mats come out clean and sometimes I don't have to use the wide Zig pen because the mats are sticky enough to use for awhile. I have used the same mats for almost 2 years and haven't had a problem. Hopes this helps someone. Smile
DazyCutr Offline
#15 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 9:27:51 AM(UTC)
DazyCutr

Was thanked: 427 time(s) in 196 post(s)
I am definitely in the re positionable spray adhesive camp. I have been using the same mats since I first got my E, 3 1/2 years ago !!!!! Be sure to clean them good with soap and water and nylon scrubby. Sometimes after cleaning you don't need any more adhesive.
Willysmom Offline
#16 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 9:52:08 AM(UTC)
Willysmom

United States

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 144 post(s)
I find that Wacky Tac works the best for me. I can use it once and clean lots and lots of times and the mat stays sticky. I clean with alcohol, scrub off with a scrubby, and just let dry. Works great for me. I have only replaced one mat in all the years I've had my E. And I am having to do that now, only because it is so old it is starting to break apart.

hth

Camille
♥Carol♥ Offline
#17 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 12:19:30 PM(UTC)
♥Carol♥

Was thanked: 2764 time(s) in 2201 post(s)
I've tried the spray adhesives too ... and I agree with you, I hate it, the results were terrible ... plus what a mess, there is no controlling that spray.

I now use the wide-tip zig 2-way glue and am having excellent results. I find that it leaves an adhesive that is even stronger than what was on the mats when they were brand new. (I don't know if it's because of the humid climate here in Florida, but the adhesive on my new mats always seems to be very weak.)

If you can place your hand flat against the mat, palm side down, and lift the mat up, shake your hand a little and it doesn't release, then the adhesive is too strong. When that happens, I take an old T-shirt and rub it gently over the surface a couple of times. You want a good sticky adhesive, but not so strong that it won't let go of the paper.

One other thing to watch out for is not to over-glue the mats. A light coating of the zig glue is all that is needed ... which is a good thing, because you use less glue!

Good Luck!
Penguin Collector Offline
#18 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 4:57:30 PM(UTC)
Penguin Collector

United States

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 147 post(s)
I just clean my mat w/ GooGone & the scraper that came in my Cricut tool kit to remove the adhesive, washed the mat with soap and water, let dry, taped over the edges, went outside, held the can of Krylon Easy-tack repositionable acid-free adhesive spray 6-8 inches above my mat and sprayed a light mist in both directions (length-wise & cross-wise). It has worked soooooo well for me! The can does say to apply at a temp of 70-80 F and not to spray when the humidity is high. HTH!

Edited by user Tuesday, November 02, 2010 5:00:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: edited as I forgot a step...sorry!

scrapnfan Offline
#19 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 5:19:43 PM(UTC)
scrapnfan

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 215 post(s)
I use Zig 2 Way glue as well. I always make sure I don't go over the same area twice or it is REALLLLLY tacky. I leave mine to dry for about an hour, place my hands gently over the mat a few times to take of the ultra sticky part. My first cut on a re-glued mat I try to use a cardstock. It seems ot work quite well this way. Oh and I use an old toothbrush, dishsoap and an old gift card to scrap off the excess gummy stuff before I re-glue it. I've had the same mats for over a year and I use them about 5 to 6 days a week. Hope this helps !
ScraPerfect Offline
#20 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 7:10:45 PM(UTC)
ScraPerfect

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I use the BEST GLUE EVER (Yes, that's the name.)

Here's a video demo of cleaning and resticky-ing your mat...