Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

AddictedToPhotos Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 9:34:16 AM(UTC)
AddictedToPhotos

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 3 post(s)
With the new promotion I am thinking about the Gypsy (which I have to admit has never interested me before). My dilema is that I rarily use my expression alone. There is a group of us that get together every month and that is most of my inspiration. Today, I use Design Studio and design with any of the carts that either I own or someone in my group of friends own. Then when we are together, I just take the combined carts (either mine or theirs), put them in a Jukebox and cut away. Can I still do something like this with the Gypsy - ie, design with carts I don't have but have access to when I cut? If yes, a new Gypsy will be mine before the promo ends, if not I will continue on with my current system. The reason this is important is my "E-bay addicted" friend has WAY more carts than I do and typically we don't buy duplicate carts within the group. Thanks.
GrammySue Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 12:03:58 PM(UTC)
GrammySue

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 100 post(s)
You have to link the cartridges with the Gypsy. Once they are linked they are permanently linked to that Gypsy and they can not be linked to any other Gypsy. That being said the cartridges still work without the Gypsy after they are linked so they can be used in the E ect. and the design studio. If you miss the sale at Micheals, Walmart has them online for $149.00. They will ship them to the nearest store. Also there is a Gypsy promotion that if you register a Gypsy by Oct 31st you will get 6 free cartridges that will be downloaded into the gypsy starting Nov 1st. You have to go online to get them. There is a lot of talk on the MB. This includes any Gypsy that has been registered before Oct. 31st.
BarbP Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 12:04:03 PM(UTC)
BarbP

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Sorry, for you to use the carts with your Gypsy, you would have to load them onto your Gypsy. Your friend would probably not want you to do this with her carts as once they are on your Gypsy, she could never load them onto another Gypsy should she decide to purchase one.
AddictedToPhotos Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 2:33:50 PM(UTC)
AddictedToPhotos

Thanks - that is what I thought. Since I already have Design Studio, access to my friends 50ish carts for free trumps spending $150ish and getting six free carts. Guess the Gypsy was not meant to be.
LiveLaughScrap Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 7:37:26 AM(UTC)
LiveLaughScrap

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 65 post(s)
You can still use their carts in your E w/o your gypsy. You can use the carts in your gypsy & lend out your actual carts for your friends to use in their Cricuts if you want to. So yes, you can still share carts at a crop. you just won't be able to cut with carts that you don't have loaded into your Gypsy with your Gypsy
HTH,
Lori

the G is totally worth it.
Princessaam Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:28:36 AM(UTC)
Princessaam

Was thanked: 289 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Another this is...

you can design on your gypsy and convert the files for DS. That way you don't have to be using a computer while someone else is. :D

~M
AddictedToPhotos Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2010 11:03:01 AM(UTC)
AddictedToPhotos

So, does that mean that I could design using Gypsy with the carts loaded there and then convert that to a DS cut and finish designing there with carts that I would have access to but are not loaded onto my Gypsy? Thus allowing me to use both my friend's carts (not loaded to my Gypsy) and my carts (which I would still have the physical copy of so I could use directly in my expression).

If that is the case I would get a Gypsy. Not the most straight forward way of doing it but it would work for me (and I would get 6 free carts that I do not have).

If someone could help me understand this by the time the 31st rolls around that would be great. If I'm not explaining this so it makes sense, let me know and I will use firm examples - I think I'm starting to confuse even myself.

Thanks
Susanna
Deanna M Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2010 1:25:23 PM(UTC)
Deanna M

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 65 post(s)
You can design with any cartridge on your Gypsy even if it isn't linked just like you can now in Design studio. To cut directly from an unlinked cartridge you would have to convert your design to DS and cut it through there so you could use the actual cartridge.
Doxieluv01 Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2010 1:26:35 PM(UTC)
Doxieluv01

Was thanked: 2261 time(s) in 1788 post(s)
AddictedToPhotos wrote:
So, does that mean that I could design using Gypsy with the carts loaded there and then convert that to a DS cut and finish designing there with carts that I would have access to but are not loaded onto my Gypsy? Thus allowing me to use both my friend's carts (not loaded to my Gypsy) and my carts (which I would still have the physical copy of so I could use directly in my expression).

Yes you can design with ALL carts on your Gypsy and then load the .gypsy file onto your computer and then open it in DS and cut from DS using the carts you used in the design (whether they are your carts or your friends carts) you would still need to load all carts used in the design in the cricut or the jukebox

Doxieluv01 Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2010 1:27:43 PM(UTC)
Doxieluv01

Was thanked: 2261 time(s) in 1788 post(s)
DeannaMulder wrote:
You can design with any cartridge on your Gypsy even if it isn't linked just like you can now in Design studio. To cut directly from an unlinked cartridge you would have to convert your design to DS and cut it through there so you could use the actual cartridge.

she would still need to load all carts used in the design into her jukebox or into the cricut because cutting from DS doesn't know that it's linked or not to a gypsy and you can't connect the gypsy to the computer/cricut and use it like a jukebox when using DS.
AddictedToPhotos Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2010 1:55:44 PM(UTC)
AddictedToPhotos

Thanks everyone. That answers my question and will allow me to design with the Gypsy and yet cut using Design Studio (and a jukebox) using both my own and my friend's carts.

Now if I can find a Gypsy before next Friday I will know it was meant to be, otherwise oh well.