Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Mo:) Offline
#31 Posted : Sunday, November 07, 2010 8:03:15 PM(UTC)
Mo:)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I have a nook. How do you check books out at the library? I hadn't heard of this. I would be very interested. Thanks! I am bummed because they just came out with a full color Nook.
MarieM Offline
#32 Posted : Sunday, November 07, 2010 8:45:16 PM(UTC)
MarieM

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 365 time(s) in 348 post(s)
One of the best things about the Kindle is that because it is not backlit and has the e-ink, you can read in the sun. It may not seem like a big deal, but if you take it on vacation, it may matter. I love to read on my balcony on a cruise and I just loved my Kindle.
kim.mom Offline
#33 Posted : Sunday, November 07, 2010 9:02:07 PM(UTC)
kim.mom

Was thanked: 145 time(s) in 123 post(s)
Does anyone have the PanDigital? Apparently Bed Bath & Beyond has them and you can price match with Kmart (where they are on sale for $149 I think it was) and then you can use the BBB coupon for 20% off which you can get from signing up on their website for email notifications. I've read some mixed reviews on it but it does sound nice....kinda like a tablet, too ???
sewwhat Offline
#34 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 7:05:25 AM(UTC)
sewwhat

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Mo:) wrote:
I have a nook. How do you check books out at the library? I hadn't heard of this. I would be very interested. Thanks! I am bummed because they just came out with a full color Nook.

Check out your local library, or your local BN. My library had the link on it's website. You need a 'local' library card, but then the library is all online.

Don't be bummed about the 'color' nook...if you are an avid reader like I am, you know that you can't read too long on a 'backlit' screen, like a pc. The 'color' nook is more of a 'tablet' pc type more than an e-reader. The e-readers have 'e-ink' and no backlight, more like a real book. I was really wowed by the color nook, thought it would be cool for magazines and such, but with the backlight, I'd never be able to read it for long or in the sunlight. BigGrin
sewwhat Offline
#35 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 7:08:38 AM(UTC)
sewwhat

kim.mom wrote:
Does anyone have the PanDigital? Apparently Bed Bath & Beyond has them and you can price match with Kmart (where they are on sale for $149 I think it was) and then you can use the BBB coupon for 20% off which you can get from signing up on their website for email notifications. I've read some mixed reviews on it but it does sound nice....kinda like a tablet, too ???

I'm not sure about this one, the big thing to find out is what format it uses for books and what books are available. The biggest plus for me about the nook is that while you have access to BN's large library, you are not stuck with it. You can use other formats. Also, look into if it's a 'backlit' tablet type e-reader, or an 'e-ink' reader. The non-lit 'e-ink' type are much easier on your eyes if you plan to read for a long time. BigGrin
Camille Offline
#36 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 7:52:26 AM(UTC)
Camille

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 79 post(s)
I have a Kindle and love it. I read somewhere that you can somehow change the files so that you can put the library books on the Kindle but it might take someone more computer savvy than me to actually do it. AMazon has a ton of FREE books for the Kindle. I got the WIFI model and love it. Free wifi is so readily available I didn't think I needed the 3G. 3G is free unless you are out of the country then there is a charge. I usually download all of the books I want before I leave home. I really like the feel of it in my hands and only wanted it to replace my books that are stacking up all over my house. I don't want it to do anything else but read books.

I thought about using the ipad to read with the free Kindle app, but printed page isn't the same and there is sometimes a glare on the ipad and it's not easy to read.If it's meant to be a reader it is much easier on the eyes than another device. I tried the free Kindle app for my ipod touch for a while and that is what sold me on the Kindle.

Edited by user Monday, November 08, 2010 8:00:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TracyK Offline
#37 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 8:13:40 AM(UTC)
TracyK

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I got my kindle for Christmas last year and absolutely love it. Take it with me everywhere. The web browser is not great - but I have looked stuff up on the road such as movie times when we were headed to the movie theatre that kind of stuff.

Publishers offer free books through Amazon pretty regulary - I have a ton of books that I've downloaded for free waiting to be read. I've also gotten some for free that I've read and ended up buying more by that author. You can purchase books from other websites besides Amazon as long as they come in the right format - I think its pretty limited though - I haven't tried it. Check out the kindle forum on amazon.com there is a ton of info on there about where you can find books besides Amazon. Check out the prices of the book stores associated with each e-reader too. When I bought mine the Nook was pretty new and Amazon had the best selection and best prices on books. There have been some contract changes with publishers since then so that may have changed.

You can have up to 6 (I think) Kindles on an account and share books (Nook may have that also not sure). Amazon announced recently that soon you will be able to "loan" a book to a friend with a Kindle similiar to what the Nook offers. You cannot use library books - but that wasn't a factor for me since the libraries around don't offer a very good e-book library anyway.
Snoopygirl Offline
#38 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 10:30:18 AM(UTC)
Snoopygirl

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 243 time(s) in 105 post(s)
CarolynS wrote:
There is a difference, because the Nook can use books from anywhere on the web, and the Kindle must use books from Amazon. I have been researching them also. When I pay my Imagine off, I want to get the Nook.
Carolyn

NO. This is not true. I'm not sure where people hear this, but you are NOT limited to only Amazon.com for Kindle books.
jscraftylady Offline
#39 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 12:08:36 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Was thanked: 2029 time(s) in 1105 post(s)
TSHREVE wrote:
I have an e-reader also and I love it......But DH has been looking at the Google Android tablets for me for christmas. Same as the Ipad but cheaper. We will be seeing A LOT of these priced right on Black Friday and through Christmas this year.

Right now there are quite a few people selling them on EBAY.
here is the link;

http://shop.ebay.com/?_f...sacat=See-All-Categories

If you have played with an iPad, you will be very disappointed with this product. Much cheaper, but not the same at all. Having played around with one from DH's work, I was a little offended (as an iPad lover) to see it called the "same as the iPad."

As for ereaders, my DH loves his Kindle. Someone else pointed it out, too, but you can make anything into a PDF and put it on your Kindle. For me the Kindle is too dark and I have trouble reading it without a very bright booklight. I prefer my iPad and it has never bothered my eyes to read on a backlit screen.
jscraftylady Offline
#40 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 12:11:58 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Was thanked: 2029 time(s) in 1105 post(s)
MarieM wrote:
One of the best things about the Kindle is that because it is not backlit and has the e-ink, you can read in the sun. It may not seem like a big deal, but if you take it on vacation, it may matter. I love to read on my balcony on a cruise and I just loved my Kindle.

I always suggest to my relatives that they try someone's out first. I have trouble reading DH's Kindle because it is too dark for me. When I use it, I have to shine a bright booklight on the screen.
PeggyHaskell Offline
#41 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 3:41:08 PM(UTC)
PeggyHaskell

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am looking for something for my dear mother in law. She has macular degeneration. I was told that the Kindle will read to you. She can't read anymore but loves it. Can anyone tell me is it all books that it will read to you or only certain ones. Thanks.Laugh
Katie Offline
#42 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 3:55:19 PM(UTC)
Katie

United States

Was thanked: 526 time(s) in 330 post(s)
For library books on the kindle, just dowload to your computer and use a program to convert or email to Amazon for a nominal fee to convert to kindle compatible format, usually 15-25 cents. There are quite a few inexpensive or free kindle how to books on the kindle book list for download or just on the kindle message board at amazon that tells you how to do it. You do have to have a library card for your library. I get frusrtrated because most often the waiting lists for the the books are MONTHS long so I wind up just buying them because I want them NOW! LOL
Katie Offline
#43 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 3:58:47 PM(UTC)
Katie

United States

Was thanked: 526 time(s) in 330 post(s)
PeggyHaskell wrote:
I am looking for something for my dear mother in law. She has macular degeneration. I was told that the Kindle will read to you. She can't read anymore but loves it. Can anyone tell me is it all books that it will read to you or only certain ones. Thanks.Laugh

The kindle will read the book to you if the book has been speech enabled. It should tell you on the book info site before you buy it. The type size is also adjustable and the screen can be turned sideways to help with those who have vision issues.
kim.mom Offline
#44 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 6:02:21 PM(UTC)
kim.mom

Was thanked: 145 time(s) in 123 post(s)
You guys and gals rock! So much wonderful information! I ended up buying my son the nook off of ebay and I hope it gets here quickly as I may have to "try" it out first.
sewwhat Offline
#45 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 7:18:25 PM(UTC)
sewwhat

Congrats! I hope you get to play! I just finished re-reading one of my favorite novels by Karen Marie Moning. I love my nook!