Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
kim.mom Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 8:01:44 PM(UTC)
kim.mom

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 145 time(s) in 123 post(s)
You ladies and gents always seem to know the latest on all the fun toys so I thought I'd throw this question out to you.....I'm looking for ereaders for my inlaws for Christmas and I'd like to find one that has a decent web browser (3G would be awesome), however, I am buying at least two of them so I need a not too expensive model. I know nothing about them but I do remember some conversations on the old cricut chat board about them and the different pros and cons. A salesman at BB today told me that to be able to use the ones that come with 3G that I have to have a 3G service like on my phone or something which I don't and I don't think the grandparents do....or I'd have to pay for a service. What I read on the internet looks like some of the readers are 3G and it is free ???? They are retired and doing some travelling so I need one that doesn't have to hook to the computer to download books. If anyone has one that has a decent web browser can you please point me in that direction. Thanks so much!
Nay~Nay Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 8:24:17 PM(UTC)
Nay~Nay

United States

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 55 post(s)
If you buy the Kindle 3G + Wi Fi for $189, the 3G is free .....The Kindle with just Wi Fi is $139 and you would need a wireless connection to download .... Both of them have the 6 inch screen ....The Kindle DX has the larger screen at 9.7 inches, but it also comes with a price tag of $379 .... I've told Santa I want the DX for Christmas and I'm sure that's what he'll be bringing me (mainly because he's thrilled I actually made up my mind early and asked for something specific) ....
Sorry I don't know anything about the other devices like the Nook or the Apple iPad or the Sony readers ..... I'm a big fan of the Kindle ....
Katie Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 8:31:20 PM(UTC)
Katie

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 526 time(s) in 330 post(s)
I hve a Kindle. There are now basically 2 types, the lesser expensive one requires access to WIFI network, like wireless internet in your home or hotel. The other type has "built in" 3G like a cell phone and is more expensive-you pay up front in the price-no monthly service. You can browse the net on the ereaders but for the most part this is not what they were designed to do. At best you can subscribe to blogs and online newspapers through whichever ereader you have. I can also go to the Kindle bookstore, browse and buy books anywhere without WIFI since mine is 3G. I have really looked at all the ereaders and prefer the kindle's e-ink the best as it doesn't cause my eyes to fatigue and I will read hours and hours. Some of the ereaders are like looking at a computer screen and that does my eyes in quickly. There are plenty of ways to get free books, both from Amazon and on the net. I download books to my computer and run a conversion program on them or email them to Amazon for a nominal fee (15 to 50 cents). The kindle also uses .pdf books which are available. In the free section of the books at Amazon there are plenty of how to books for the kindle. And now there are games that are free to play on the kindle too.

You just need to look at each erader and decide what is best for you/your inlaws. If they have and ubderstand the WIFI thing, the new kindle without 3g runs $139.

Edited by user Monday, October 11, 2010 8:35:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MamasScrappin Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 9:11:36 PM(UTC)
MamasScrappin

Was thanked: 693 time(s) in 630 post(s)
I have the Nook with the 3g wireless and the wifi. They also offer 2 different ones. The lesser being with wifi access only. The 3g wirelss one is now listing at $199. I really like it alot and I researched the different readers for quite sometime before I made my decisions. You can loan books to another Nook user and you can borrow books from your library if it is offered through them. They have many free titles to choose from. I watch for specials and have tried many new and different authors because the prices are really reasonable. You can also download samples of the books before you purchase them. It also has a dictionary so if you need to look up a word while reading you can do so. You can also download music and play it. It has games and web access as well. One of the last downloads we got from them gave us extra extra large print. I also like that I can add a memory card to it and download books to it if I wish to. You can play with one at most Barnes and Noble stores.
kim.mom Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 9:33:30 PM(UTC)
kim.mom

Thank you ladies for all this info! So...say you were just wanting to google a restaurant or something to find out if the town you are driving through has something your are looking for could you do that with the 3G one? I guess I'm just not quite sure what they mean when they say basic web browser.
rebelk Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 10:12:21 PM(UTC)
rebelk

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 9 post(s)
yes, you can browse the internet with Kindle. It isn't fast, but whispernet can actually be more reliable the other wireless.
GaTechGal Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:16:55 AM(UTC)
GaTechGal

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
MamasScrappin wrote:
I have the Nook with the 3g wireless and the wifi. They also offer 2 different ones. The lesser being with wifi access only. The 3g wirelss one is now listing at $199. I really like it alot and I researched the different readers for quite sometime before I made my decisions. You can loan books to another Nook user and you can borrow books from your library if it is offered through them. They have many free titles to choose from. I watch for specials and have tried many new and different authors because the prices are really reasonable. You can also download samples of the books before you purchase them. It also has a dictionary so if you need to look up a word while reading you can do so. You can also download music and play it. It has games and web access as well. One of the last downloads we got from them gave us extra extra large print. I also like that I can add a memory card to it and download books to it if I wish to. You can play with one at most Barnes and Noble stores.

Do you have to buy your own 3G plan or is it included?
kim.mom Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:58:01 PM(UTC)
kim.mom

So it sounds like the Nook or the Kindle far outperform the others??? Are there many differences between the 2?
MamasScrappin Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:29:21 PM(UTC)
MamasScrappin

GaTechGal wrote:
Do you have to buy your own 3G plan or is it included?

It is included. I really love my Nook. I take it everywhere!!!
kim.mom Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:33:22 PM(UTC)
kim.mom

Does anyone know if the web browser is better on the Kindle or the Nook? My MIL likes to google things, too and I'd love it if I could get an ereader that she can browse the web on fairly well, too. I realize it isn't going to do that as well as an ipad or anything but a decent one would be nice.
 1 user thanked kim.mom for this useful post.
♥Buggy♥ on 10/13/2010(UTC)
♥Buggy♥ Offline
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:06:18 PM(UTC)
♥Buggy♥

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 75 post(s)
I'm watching this thread too... we've been looking at these for our christmas presents this year (our family)... I would love to have a 3G, but didn't know the service was included in the price... you are selling this for me.

I the kindle associated with Amazon books and the Nook with Barnes books? It seems that a sales person at a store told me that each is exclusive to its own company's books.
I would definitely like to hear your personal experience and preferences on this.

Thank you in advance :)
madds2 Offline
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:18:39 PM(UTC)
madds2

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Love this post. I too want an ereader and was thinking of picking up one of the two mentioned. Does anyone know if you have a members reward card to lets say Borders do you get a deal on ereader books if the ereader is not associated with that store?
MamasScrappin Offline
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2010 3:46:00 PM(UTC)
MamasScrappin

You cannot use the rewards card at Barnes and Noble for any of the Nook accessories or the Nook itself. The prices are really reasonable anyway. I get alot of free books or even books for under $5.00. I've read some really good books and some really new and good authors I wouldn't have tried if I was still ordering hardcover books. I really like the Nook.
Carolyn S Offline
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2010 3:59:34 PM(UTC)
Carolyn S

Was thanked: 232 time(s) in 202 post(s)
♥Buggy♥ wrote:
I'm watching this thread too... we've been looking at these for our christmas presents this year (our family)... I would love to have a 3G, but didn't know the service was included in the price... you are selling this for me.

I the kindle associated with Amazon books and the Nook with Barnes books? It seems that a sales person at a store told me that each is exclusive to its own company's books.
I would definitely like to hear your personal experience and preferences on this.

Thank you in advance :)

There is a difference, because the Nook can use books from anywhere on the web, and the Kindle must use books from Amazon. I have been researching them also. When I pay my Imagine off, I want to get the Nook.
Carolyn

PhotoMom Offline
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2010 4:14:30 PM(UTC)
PhotoMom

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I have a Kindle and an iPad and I will be getting my mother-in-law the Kindle for Christmas. I was in Staples yesterday and they are now selling the Kindle. They had a display so you can see it and hold it. The new one is very light weight and easy to read. I love my Kindle and can read on it for hours at a time without any eye strain. There are a ton of free books for both and I made my decision by reading the reviews and looking at the Amazon site. I had decided if they were the same I wanted to get my e-reader from Amazon since they are the largest book seller that I know of. I do have friends that have the Nook and the Sony and they are both happy too. I have been able to download a new book while we were camping so I love the 3G and the fact that I am not tied to a computer. Good luck with your decision, I know you will love whatever you decide on.Laugh
Soapsfan Offline
#16 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:05:56 AM(UTC)
Soapsfan

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have a Nook and I really like it. It has a slot in the back for an SD card, Christian Book Distributers sells Ebooks that are compatable with the Nook but not the Kindle, and you can put your own photos and music on it. I have used the 3G a time or two but where I live we don't have good AT&T service so I mostly use the wifi. I love my ereader!
kim.mom Offline
#17 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 12:43:32 PM(UTC)
kim.mom

I've been watching for sales on these and I just read something that sounds like you can only get books from your local library on the Nook. Does anyone know if you can borrow from the library on the Kindle also? Thanks so much!
Jen Offline
#18 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 1:16:03 PM(UTC)
Jen

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 110 post(s)
I too will be watching this thread. My dil has mentioned wanting one. She didn't specify which one so the choice will be mine. She isn't too worried about being online. Matter of fact she doesn't even have a data plan on her cell phone. But at the same time I don't want to get her one where she will regret not having the 3G service and want it.
TSHREVE Offline
#19 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 1:30:10 PM(UTC)
TSHREVE

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 232 post(s)
I have an e-reader also and I love it......But DH has been looking at the Google Android tablets for me for christmas. Same as the Ipad but cheaper. We will be seeing A LOT of these priced right on Black Friday and through Christmas this year.

Right now there are quite a few people selling them on EBAY.
here is the link;

http://shop.ebay.com/?_f...sacat=See-All-Categories
kim.mom Offline
#20 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 5:59:12 PM(UTC)
kim.mom

http://cgi.ebay.com/NOOK...&hash=item45f68b5759

Barnes and Noble has the 3G WiFi Nook for $99 (refurbished) on ebay ???? Good deal????

Buggin_Out Offline
#21 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 6:20:19 PM(UTC)
Buggin_Out

Was thanked: 385 time(s) in 250 post(s)
I've had the Kindle since April '09 and love, love, love it! The 3G access is already set up and free. It does have an included web browser, but it's what I call "emergency use only." There are no graphics and it is not fast. An an ereader, though, the Kindle is perfect IMO. BigGrin
sewwhat Offline
#22 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 6:57:55 PM(UTC)
sewwhat

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I have the Nook 3g and I love it sooo much that it will be under the tree for my college daughter this year. The 3g wireless is free, but you have to be in an AT and T 'hot spot' to 'surf' the web. You can download books or get on the barnes and noble website from anywhere, which is a great option. You can also use ONE account for multiple Nooks and share your library. I plan on getting my daughter a BN gift card and load it to my account. That way she can use it to get books and she can share all of my books without fear of charging my credit card for her books. The nook also has a free download for your PC so you can read any book from your library from your pc. You can get lots of free books including BN's 'free book friday' where they give you a free book every Friday. You can borrow books from the library and loan books out to others. They did come out with a Nook color, but I prefer the 'e-ink' screen. It is not backlit so it doesn't hurt your eyes and you can read it outside in the sunlight. Just my opinion of course, but I really LOVE my nook.
Basketcase38 Offline
#23 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 7:13:29 PM(UTC)
Basketcase38

kim.mom wrote:
I've been watching for sales on these and I just read something that sounds like you can only get books from your local library on the Nook. Does anyone know if you can borrow from the library on the Kindle also? Thanks so much!

No, you cannot borrow books from the library on the Kindle. Kindle only supports Amazon's file types.

Sherry
NewfyMom Offline
#24 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 7:38:58 PM(UTC)
NewfyMom

Was thanked: 205 time(s) in 126 post(s)
I've had my Kindle for a year and we took a road trip through ID,MT,WY,SD. What a hoot to be buying a book, in the car, on our way through Greybull WY (or was it SD)? Bought my cowboy hat at the gas station and read my Kindle the whole way. Great reception! Better than my phone. *confusing*. I find the internet part on mine slow and bulky. They may have improved that in the last year. Love my Kindle.

I think the Nook has the right idea for getting books from the library and being able to loan a book. So if you have two readers you can loan your book to another reader and keep reading yours. With my Kindle, hubby takes it from me, Bored BigGrin to read a book I like. Not that big of deal. Also, book from the library, at this time, are not able to be on the Kindle. Amazon is being proprietary like Apple. That's why PC's are more popular because anyone can make software for a PC but not true for MAC. The Nook seems more flexible on those two points. I can't comment on their internet capability. That being said and I'm still drooling over the latest and greatest Kindle.Drool

Just to throw a tangent in. A good smart phone is a huge help to the traveler. My smartphone has google maps, text, calendar, music, video all on a colored screen--like all the smart phones. So I don't need my E-reader to be my everything.

I like the bigger screen as well because of old eyes. The Kindle lets you set the font size (I'm sure the Nook does too.) I really need the bigger screen and the smart phone handles all the other needs.

Oh another thing you should know. E-readers do not have back-lighting. Your computer does. So internet through Nook or Kindle will look different. The idea is that a back-light makes your eyes tired and a Kindle and Nook want to be more like a book page. So you need an external light for reading at night. This makes Google pages and web pages look really different because they don't have color. So if you are looking for a computer screen that can download books you'll want an ipad solution. This is harder to read for long periods of time. Amazon does allow you to download your books to your computer if you bought them for your Kindle. HTH BigGrin
NewfyMom Offline
#25 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 7:41:40 PM(UTC)
NewfyMom

Was thanked: 205 time(s) in 126 post(s)
Basketcase38 wrote:
No, you cannot borrow books from the library on the Kindle. Kindle only supports Amazon's file types.

Sherry
And PDFs.
CoachsWife Offline
#26 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 7:43:30 PM(UTC)
CoachsWife

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have a Nook and I love it too. The reason I went with the nook is because it will accept so many different formats of books instead of just from Amazon. I have even gotten several free (good ones like the Stephanie plum books) from fictionwise.com. My mom and I each have one and share an account so that we can share the books. Our public library also has ebooks for checkout and we can get them with the Nook. I don't use it for the internet very much, but my husband has a few times. I don't have the patience for it. If they want to do a lot of surfing they may need something like an IPAD or something.

I vote for the Nook with 3g all the way!
lyro Offline
#27 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 10:02:19 PM(UTC)
lyro

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I have the Nook Wifi and it is wonderful. There are so many free books available in addition to being able to d/l library books and other file formats. Also, if you go to the B&N store, you can read in-store for up to 1 hour per visit. I found this really useful to browse through cookbooks to see if the recipes were of interest to me before buying the book. Also, since the Nook can view various file formats, there is a superb free software program called Calibre that you can d/l to your computer. This program will allow you to edit the metadata for books so that you can arrange your library the way you want it, will let you back up your library to your computer (including side-loaded content), it will also let you convert file formats which has come in very handy for me, and so much more. Good luck with your decision.
Begonia Offline
#28 Posted : Sunday, November 07, 2010 4:49:13 PM(UTC)
Begonia

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 15 post(s)
You might want to investigate the PanDigital Ereader on QVC. It seems like a pretty good one.
Brens_Designs Offline
#29 Posted : Sunday, November 07, 2010 5:16:03 PM(UTC)
Brens_Designs

Was thanked: 1105 time(s) in 832 post(s)
Thanks for all the info!
momto2 Offline
#30 Posted : Sunday, November 07, 2010 7:24:18 PM(UTC)
momto2

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 52 post(s)
sewwhat wrote:
I have the Nook 3g and I love it sooo much that it will be under the tree for my college daughter this year. The 3g wireless is free, but you have to be in an AT and T 'hot spot' to 'surf' the web. You can download books or get on the barnes and noble website from anywhere, which is a great option. You can also use ONE account for multiple Nooks and share your library. I plan on getting my daughter a BN gift card and load it to my account. That way she can use it to get books and she can share all of my books without fear of charging my credit card for her books. The nook also has a free download for your PC so you can read any book from your library from your pc. You can get lots of free books including BN's 'free book friday' where they give you a free book every Friday. You can borrow books from the library and loan books out to others. They did come out with a Nook color, but I prefer the 'e-ink' screen. It is not backlit so it doesn't hurt your eyes and you can read it outside in the sunlight. Just my opinion of course, but I really LOVE my nook.

I can go wireless from my house and have used the wifi at Panera also. For the record, I LOVE my nook. I love that I can check books out of the library without going to the library. And Barnes and Noble offers free book fridays where they will have a selection for free, as well as really reasonable prices on books. I also have some of my crochet patterns loaded on my nook.