Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Kate Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 07, 2010 12:18:33 PM(UTC)
Kate

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Is there a good way to go about learning what each cartridge can do? It just seems overwhelming to me and I don't know where to start. Could someone tell me how they got started on learning how to use each cartridge. Also, how do you keep track of what images are on what cartridge? Thanks in advance because I know I'll get some very good answers as there are so many knowledgeable people on the boards.
Smile
ShawnMosch Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 07, 2010 12:24:15 PM(UTC)
ShawnMosch

Was thanked: 842 time(s) in 286 post(s)
It can be overwhelming. I know that when I first got my Cricut I only had a few cartridges, so I looked at images that people posted in the cartridge specific sections of the message board.

Which cartridges to you have? This might help people to give you more ideas . . . we don't want to throw ideas at you that you cannot even use because you don't own that cart.
ScrappinMamaw Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 07, 2010 12:27:55 PM(UTC)
ScrappinMamaw

Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 100 post(s)
I watched all of my pink stamper tutorials They start at like video 71 and there are 20 or so.they are free and here is the link.
http://www.mypinkstamper...08/05/all-my-videos.html
She gives lots of neat tips and will explain the handbooks through out the videos.
Above rubies studio has a dvd You might want to check out. I think it is like 20 bucks and here is the link.
http://www.aboverubiesstudio.com/cricut-dvd/
My pink stamper vids taught me and I am confident enough to teach classes now at my LSS.

Karen
 1 user thanked ScrappinMamaw for this useful post.
Neen on 10/11/2010(UTC)
scrapalette Online
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 07, 2010 12:43:54 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 18426 time(s) in 8189 post(s)
At the beginning of each cart handbook are a few projects made using the images and features on that particular cart. I would start there and learn the carts you have. Then, since many of the features are the same on the different carts, you can focus on the images when you get new carts.

Remember, you can still go to cricut.com and view the info on the old MB.
ShawnMosch Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 07, 2010 12:55:09 PM(UTC)
ShawnMosch

I just remembered . . . there is a Cricut A - Z DVD that you can get here
http://www.aboverubiesstudio.com/
 3 users thanked ShawnMosch for this useful post.
Neen on 10/11/2010(UTC), canyonjoy on 10/19/2010(UTC), Kate on 11/9/2010(UTC)
Kate Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 07, 2010 3:26:10 PM(UTC)
Kate

Thank you to all who have responded; I knew I could count on you. The cartridges that I currently own are:
A, BB, CC, CEL, DC, GBS, HA, JAS, JOTS, MM, NR, PDDU, PS, SYI, TBBM, WIMG, WC, Cindy Loo, Just Because Cards, Splish Splash, Nursery Rhymes, Celebrate With Flourish and Wall Decor and More

Sorry, didn't know the abbreviations for that last few cartridges.
Mellow
Brenda Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 07, 2010 8:17:36 PM(UTC)
Brenda

Was thanked: 191 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Keeping track of images ~ When I had very few carts,I could remember. But, now that I'm close or just over 100 carts..there is no way I can remember it all!
There is a site called cricutsearch.com all you have to do is type in what your looking for and it will pull up the images and what cartridge it's on! I love this site!
As a matter of fact I love it so much and it's so easy to use...I put it right in my tool bar and titled it BugChart. That way 1 click and I'm there!BigGrin
It was put together by a lovely lady on the board and her family. Smile
 9 users thanked Brenda for this useful post.
ShawnMosch on 10/8/2010(UTC), Neen on 10/11/2010(UTC), Kimberslds on 10/19/2010(UTC), canyonjoy on 10/19/2010(UTC), AussieStacy on 11/3/2010(UTC), Sarah B on 11/4/2010(UTC), MsWriter on 11/5/2010(UTC), RedMonkeyScrapper on 11/9/2010(UTC), CynthiaC on 11/11/2010(UTC)
LaGeorgiaPaperie Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, October 08, 2010 6:44:12 PM(UTC)
LaGeorgiaPaperie

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 33 post(s)
When thinking about getting a cart, I always search it on YouTube to see different projects people have made with that cart! There are tons of great ladies on YT who do Cricut vids!
 1 user thanked LaGeorgiaPaperie for this useful post.
Neen on 10/11/2010(UTC)
Neen Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 1:36:44 PM(UTC)
Neen

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Brenda wrote:
Keeping track of images ~ When I had very few carts,I could remember. But, now that I'm close or just over 100 carts..there is no way I can remember it all!
There is a site called cricutsearch.com all you have to do is type in what your looking for and it will pull up the images and what cartridge it's on! I love this site!
As a matter of fact I love it so much and it's so easy to use...I put it right in my tool bar and titled it BugChart. That way 1 click and I'm there!BigGrin
It was put together by a lovely lady on the board and her family. Smile

Thanks Brenda, what a great site. I'm thinking it could be more dangerous than helpful though, as it will bring up more cartridges I'd like to buy ! haha
Neen Offline
#10 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 1:47:45 PM(UTC)
Neen

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
LaGeorgiaPaperie wrote:
When thinking about getting a cart, I always search it on YouTube to see different projects people have made with that cart! There are tons of great ladies on YT who do Cricut vids!

What a great idea, I never thought to search by cartridge name. I use YouTube for so many things these days. This will be great, thanks for the hint Smile
Kimberslds Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 1:00:00 AM(UTC)
Kimberslds

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Thanks so much for CricutSearch tip. It's very helpful.
Raskle Offline
#12 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 2:22:21 AM(UTC)
Raskle

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Neen wrote:
What a great idea, I never thought to search by cartridge name. I use YouTube for so many things these days. This will be great, thanks for the hint Smile

Just on a quick side note Neen.... I LOVE your avatar pic! Too Cute!
NotGoingGreyGracefully Offline
#13 Posted : Wednesday, November 03, 2010 8:51:10 PM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 799 time(s) in 449 post(s)
There is a thread on the old forum, I will have to go there and look, titled, "gracefulgrammar would you please ..." where hundreds of cricutters have shared what we like to call our cricut notebook, or somthing of that sort. We copy things like the back of the cartridge, the handbook page with the feature buttons on it, list all the phrases the cart has, and other features that will help you remember what is on each cart. Most people accomplish that in a 8.5 x 11 two-page spread. I would post you a link but I don't know how. In a minute, I'll check my Faves on this board and find the thread where at least one person shared hers.

BRB
#14 Posted : Wednesday, November 03, 2010 8:54:05 PM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

Check this one out too, if you have an iPad, iTouch, Iphone, or notepad of any kind ...

Cricut Circle » General Chat » Cart handbooks on your iPad!
 1 user thanked NotGoingGreyGracefully for this useful post.
Sarah B on 11/4/2010(UTC)
CanadaJanice Offline
#15 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 4:38:34 AM(UTC)
CanadaJanice

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 66 post(s)
Neen wrote:
Thanks Brenda, what a great site. I'm thinking it could be more dangerous than helpful though, as it will bring up more cartridges I'd like to buy ! haha

I offer a strong "I agree" to the recomendations for cricutsearch.com ThumpUp

It is SO useful, and very user friendly.Love
 1 user thanked CanadaJanice for this useful post.
ShawnMosch on 11/4/2010(UTC)
#16 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 7:53:51 AM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

If you want a hard copy, because you are looking for multiple coordinating images or want a "feel" for the style of a cart, we have been creating Cricut Bibles. This is from Cynthia's Blog, which I just visited. The file is large, about 115meg, so she's done it as a zip file and will email you the file, and instructions on how to open it if you ask. She also has a lot of resources for scrapbook theming and templates, what she likes to use and how she uses them. I just subscribed, because I saw so much I liked.

If you would like a copy of it, simply become a follower, leave a comment AND send me an email at CinFL777@gmail.com and I will send you the link to the zipped file. Please be patient at the download page! It is a LARGE FILE!!!!!
Chiddy Offline
#17 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 8:15:57 AM(UTC)
Chiddy

Was thanked: 153 time(s) in 78 post(s)
I think that all the suggestions given so far are all great!

I've done all of the above things to help get acquainted with each cartridge. When I first got my Cricut, there were few cartridges available and not many things posted online. What I did back then to learn about each cartridge was to just dive in and play. Get some inexpensive cardstock and just start cutting. If you see a handbook shape that interests you, just experiment with cutting it at various sizes.

There are no rules as to how each shape or letter has to be used. You can play around and do whatever you'd like! There's no need to expect to make a masterpiece on your first try. Sometimes just experimenting with different colors and shapes will spark ideas. You can also borrow ideas from craft boutiques, card making and scrapbooking magazines and books and craft stores where projects are on display.
#18 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 2:59:39 PM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

I think that is the best advice so far. Just get some inexpensive card stock (J's had 40% off all scrapbooking and all DCWV holiday pads retailing $19.99 for 9.99, I saved more than I spentLaugh Laugh ) or pull the gag-me colors from what you have (but never use the last sheet of a color, the next project you do will need that piece) and go to town. When I first got my bug, it was from HSN and I had 30 days to see if I wanted to send it back, and about a dozen carts. So I unpacked them all, and made a few cuts from each, using at least one feature and one cut with "shift", to make sure all worked. Then the poor baby got buried and didn't see the light of day for nine months (my goodness! she could have had a baby!) when I found the website, got everything registered (I think) and then spent more time on the MB than anywhere except maybe bed. Then .... September I found the "RAKs& Swaps" forum, and my poor bug has hardly had a day off since!! You just look at the handbook, press a button, choose a size, put in a mat with paper and see what happens!

Don't be afraid!! The first cuts I made were for other people, and they came out just fine! Go for it, Girl! You'll get hooked in no time!

p.S. If anyone is interested in more info on the Cricut Bibles we're making, I found all my links so I can post them or PM you.
Kate Offline
#19 Posted : Tuesday, November 09, 2010 1:58:52 PM(UTC)
Kate

NotGoingGreyGracefully wrote:
I think that is the best advice so far. Just get some inexpensive card stock (J's had 40% off all scrapbooking and all DCWV holiday pads retailing $19.99 for 9.99, I saved more than I spentLaugh Laugh ) or pull the gag-me colors from what you have (but never use the last sheet of a color, the next project you do will need that piece) and go to town. When I first got my bug, it was from HSN and I had 30 days to see if I wanted to send it back, and about a dozen carts. So I unpacked them all, and made a few cuts from each, using at least one feature and one cut with "shift", to make sure all worked. Then the poor baby got buried and didn't see the light of day for nine months (my goodness! she could have had a baby!) when I found the website, got everything registered (I think) and then spent more time on the MB than anywhere except maybe bed. Then .... September I found the "RAKs& Swaps" forum, and my poor bug has hardly had a day off since!! You just look at the handbook, press a button, choose a size, put in a mat with paper and see what happens!

Don't be afraid!! The first cuts I made were for other people, and they came out just fine! Go for it, Girl! You'll get hooked in no time!

p.S. If anyone is interested in more info on the Cricut Bibles we're making, I found all my links so I can post them or PM you.

I'm very interested in the Cricut bibles please.
Kate Offline
#20 Posted : Tuesday, November 09, 2010 2:00:30 PM(UTC)
Kate

Shawn Mosch -- I ordered the Cricut A to Z DVD and loved it! I learned so much and to me it was well worth the money. Thank you.
ShawnMosch Offline
#21 Posted : Tuesday, November 09, 2010 4:22:20 PM(UTC)
ShawnMosch

Kate wrote:
Shawn Mosch -- I ordered the Cricut A to Z DVD and loved it! I learned so much and to me it was well worth the money. Thank you.

So glad to hear that you like it! Now, use that along with my site (CricutSearch.com) to find the images that you want, and you will be a happy crafter!

love2bug Offline
#22 Posted : Tuesday, November 09, 2010 7:42:31 PM(UTC)
love2bug

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Kate,

Yes, it can be overwhelming but don't let it get to you. Someone already recommended my pink stamper and she is awesome. You can also go to you tube and the the cartridge name e.g. "create a critter tutorial" and you will have plenty of tutorials type in which ever cartridge you have and I'm sure something will come up. Enjoy and have fun.
HappyScraper Offline
#23 Posted : Tuesday, November 09, 2010 7:57:19 PM(UTC)
HappyScraper

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
What I did was to go to my design studio and picked the 12"x24" mat and just started keying in all the images on the cartridges. Once the mat was full, I did a screen shot of the mat and saved the image to my computer. I sorted the images into fonts, shapes, borders, cards, and tags. I was amazed at how many things were on my cartridges. I decided to print out all my shots, but since I had so many I inserted the images into a word document. I could get 2 or 3 images on a page. I have a really nice reference book now. Lots of work, but well worth it. Just take it one cartridge at a time.

Susan
Buggin_Out Offline
#24 Posted : Tuesday, November 09, 2010 8:52:49 PM(UTC)
Buggin_Out

Was thanked: 385 time(s) in 250 post(s)
I download the PDF handbooks from cricut.com. There is a master collection here, so you don't have to visit each cartridge's page.

Then I print each PDF handbook with 3 handbook pages to each printed page. Many people put 6 handbook pages on a printed page. That's too small for my eyes, but you can pick any number that works for you. You use Adobe's print settings to pick your layout.

Then I put the pages in a three ring binder. I separate each cart with tabs. Some people use page protectors, but I don't. You get the general idea. Hope it helps!
Judy664 Offline
#25 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2010 11:53:40 PM(UTC)
Judy664

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
NotGoingGreyGracefully wrote:
There is a thread on the old forum, I will have to go there and look, titled, "gracefulgrammar would you please ..." where hundreds of cricutters have shared what we like to call our cricut notebook, or somthing of that sort. We copy things like the back of the cartridge, the handbook page with the feature buttons on it, list all the phrases the cart has, and other features that will help you remember what is on each cart. Most people accomplish that in a 8.5 x 11 two-page spread. I would post you a link but I don't know how. In a minute, I'll check my Faves on this board and find the thread where at least one person shared hers.

BRB

Here's the link for the cricut notebook discussion on the old board that NotGoingGreyGracefully is referring to:
http://www.cricut.com/me...eboard/tm.aspx?m=6884976

Edited by user Saturday, November 20, 2010 11:59:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Judy664 Offline
#26 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2010 11:57:32 PM(UTC)
Judy664

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
OK.........let me try that link again!
Here's the new one: http://www.cricut.com/me...eboard/tm.aspx?m=6884976
 1 user thanked Judy664 for this useful post.
NotGoingGreyGracefully on 11/21/2010(UTC)
#27 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 10:45:05 PM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

Thanks for posting that for me, Judy. I may only be able to get on the board twice a week instead of twice a day like I normally do. I have a few other links that may be helpful if you are interested. I promise to look them up and post later this week. Happy Turkey Day, everyone!