Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

AbbyNorton Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 06, 2010 4:43:57 PM(UTC)
AbbyNorton

Groups: Registered

Hi,
I got my E for Christmas last year, and have been not so sure on the gypsy. What exactly does it do, is it worth the buy, pros vs cons? Great detail would help! thanks in advance!
The Lone Hydrangea Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 06, 2010 9:15:25 PM(UTC)
The Lone Hydrangea

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
The greatest advantage I have found so far is not having to drag out the carts and load them all, especially if you use many images from different carts on one project, say a word or shape book. You can also do a search for an image you have in mind, and it will list all of the carts that have that image, and you can tell instantly if you have the cart or not because once you have linked your cart to the Gypsy, it will appear in black, versus red for the carts that are not linked or that you don't have. You can use the weld feature, hide feature, all kinds of things. I've even used mine to do mock up scrapbook layouts to see what will fit on the pages in what sizes. HTH!
 1 user thanked The Lone Hydrangea for this useful post.
AbbyNorton on 10/11/2010(UTC)
Southernbellescrapper Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 07, 2010 4:55:28 PM(UTC)
Southernbellescrapper

Was thanked: 217 time(s) in 133 post(s)
I adore my Gypsy! It makes the possibilities with your Cricut endless!!! I just love how much I can do with it! I say you need one! LOL It is FABULOUS!!!!BigGrin
 1 user thanked Southernbellescrapper for this useful post.
farmscraps Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 07, 2010 7:15:53 PM(UTC)
farmscraps

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 249 post(s)
I love just popping it in my purse when I am waiting for my DD or DH for whatever reason.. I can design this and that...not having to drag out my books and overlays is awesome...and it is so stinkin cute..BigGrin Love watching TV and being able to design with it.. and my BFF loves that I let her use my carts for her scrappin and dont worry about getting them back the next day.. (her DH loves this tooBigGrin ) he even thanked my DH for letting me get the G so now his wife can borrow mine..Drool Oh and just being able to look at every cut on a cart before I buy it has really saved me $$... I know in advance what is on the cart before I buy it...
 1 user thanked farmscraps for this useful post.
Scrappin-Gramie Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 07, 2010 8:14:07 PM(UTC)
Scrappin-Gramie

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
BigGrin I agree with all of the above. Being able to weld is the best and feature I use the most.
Now that we can also hid some of the features on an item is great. If you have a friend who has one, ask them to let you play with it for a little while (wink, wink)...you will not want to give it back.
 1 user thanked Scrappin-Gramie for this useful post.
CatherineKoon Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 07, 2010 9:31:56 PM(UTC)
CatherineKoon

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I like using the layers to cut down on the time I have to load the same piece of paper for a project. Not sure that is clear - but if you are doing a project and need several cuts of the same color but from different cartridges. The designs can be placed on a layer and cut at one time.
And yes, the Weld is really wonderful!
 1 user thanked CatherineKoon for this useful post.
AbbyNorton Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, October 08, 2010 3:15:44 PM(UTC)
AbbyNorton

Thank you all so much! I have some questions which might be totally dumb to you guys, so sorry in advance!
What EXACTLY does weld and hide features mean?
Is it easy to understand how to use, (i know that there are tons of tuturial videos online)

Do you think HSN will have just the gypsy for sale near christmas, right now its just with the E. Unless you think I need two E's.

thank you!
CatherineKoon Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, October 08, 2010 4:26:31 PM(UTC)
CatherineKoon

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Very simply, With weld you can join cuts. First example I think of is making a title for a scrapbook page. Weld the letters and the are not cut individually but as one. with Hide, you can hide a cut and the cricut won't cut it.
 1 user thanked CatherineKoon for this useful post.
CindyVelotta Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, October 08, 2010 5:29:20 PM(UTC)
CindyVelotta

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Abby, I was like you for a long time. I was not sure on the Gypsy even though I had my cricut for years. I took the plunge when I came across a great sale and I am so glad I did. After needing a little help to register my gypsy due to computer technical difficulties, I have taught myself how to use the Gypsy by playing on it. Pressing the help button in each section of the gypsy program provides excellent directions and tips. I love using the different cartridges without actually having to pull them out. It is an awesome tool and easy to use.
 1 user thanked CindyVelotta for this useful post.
MaxineJohnson Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, October 08, 2010 6:22:48 PM(UTC)
MaxineJohnson

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I agree with everything above, but I have one more to add.
I like to use my Gypsy for designing sketches for layouts and cards.
I can fit everything on the virtual 12x12 mat, and have no doubt that everything will fit once I cut it out.

I have only had my Gypsy for a couple of months but I don't know how I lived without it! Best investment since I bought my Expression 2 years ago!
 1 user thanked MaxineJohnson for this useful post.
TheBugBytes Offline
#11 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 3:12:04 PM(UTC)
TheBugBytes

Was thanked: 1539 time(s) in 876 post(s)
I would advise to wait some more time. This new machine and the Imagine has made me suspicious that a new one might come. I sincerely hope not as this Gypsy is just a year old and that too only working as it should have from day one from 6 months back ie since December. Since you have held on this longer I would advise you to hold on for a little while longer.
DeeScraps Offline
#12 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 5:59:05 PM(UTC)
DeeScraps

Was thanked: 706 time(s) in 538 post(s)
I would suggest that you go to the online manual and read through the directions. That will shed some light on the features and explain what they do. I don't have the design studio mainly because I don't want to sit at the computer any longer than I do now, plus I don't have room to put my E. near my computer. I really like the idea of the welding feature and the idea of seeing what will fit on the 12x12 page. I'm just getting mine going now and have yet to cut a design, but I'm looking forward to my first one. I also think that the two cartridges that came on the Gypsy are great.

Dee