Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

shastadasi Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 8:02:58 AM(UTC)
shastadasi

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 80 post(s)
I don't know if this is the proper board to post but being that everyone is making cards I thought I'd post here. I was at a swarm last month and my cousin was digging in my garbage bag, you'd have thought she died and gone to heaven! She took all the small pieces of paper and saved them. Now that I know not to throw any scraps away Blushing can you gals/guys tell me how you store your scraps? I'm really curious Confused
 1 user thanked shastadasi for this useful post.
Penlight☼ on 10/5/2010(UTC)
TerriScrapsnCali Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 8:11:30 AM(UTC)
TerriScrapsnCali

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 349 time(s) in 141 post(s)
I bought this drawer system last year on Black Friday for $25. My scraps are color coordinated with each drawer. I love it, it sits right by my Cricut table.
TerriScrapsnCali attached the following image(s):
100_8087.JPG
 2 users thanked TerriScrapsnCali for this useful post.
shastadasi on 10/5/2010(UTC), Lynette on 10/7/2010(UTC)
shastadasi Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 8:16:33 AM(UTC)
shastadasi

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 80 post(s)
What a wonderful idea! Do you save your printed scraps as well?
TerriScrapsnCali Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 8:23:12 AM(UTC)
TerriScrapsnCali

Was thanked: 349 time(s) in 141 post(s)
I save some of them depending on the size. I put them in a 12 x 12 folder. I have a friend that uses 12 x 12 Sterlite containers for her scraps, she gets them at Target.
 1 user thanked TerriScrapsnCali for this useful post.
shastadasi on 10/5/2010(UTC)
ThisisJulz Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 8:28:09 AM(UTC)
ThisisJulz

Was thanked: 161 time(s) in 122 post(s)
I have mine in a box that was originally meant to store photos. I store them by size and color. They come in handy quite often!
 1 user thanked ThisisJulz for this useful post.
PedalPower Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 9:18:41 AM(UTC)
PedalPower

Was thanked: 1566 time(s) in 932 post(s)
I keep mine in a shallow plastic tub beneath my work area and have them sorted by "general" color. I wish I remembered to use them more often than I do!!!
 1 user thanked PedalPower for this useful post.
ღgennyannღ Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 9:46:52 AM(UTC)
ღgennyannღ

Was thanked: 134 time(s) in 98 post(s)
Mines all in one drawer and its a MESS!
 2 users thanked ღgennyannღ for this useful post.
~~L*I*N*D*A ^I~N^ C*O*L*O*R*A*D*O~~ on 10/3/2010(UTC), shastadasi on 10/5/2010(UTC)
ValerieSchomburg Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 10:41:55 AM(UTC)
ValerieSchomburg

Was thanked: 1537 time(s) in 1430 post(s)
I recently organized all of my scraps taking them from one container and organizing them according to colors. I already had one of the 3-drawer units (12x12 drawers) I believe from Sterilite. Purchased one more at Wal-Mart for $11. I priced them at Joanne's and they were $23! So even with a coupon from Joanne's I got it for less. I merely typed labels on my computer (Blue, Black and White, Red and Pink, etc.)and attached with the clear tape used for shipping.I still need one more unit but until I get more scraps for my last two colors, it will wait. I don't use a lot of pink papers, so I put them with the red. Kept the black and white together since they are pretty neutral. So far I have enjoyed this system. I store all scraps both plain and patterned papers in the same drawer of any one color. Sometimes I do have to look in more than one drawer because not all papers have just one color. I always check my scraps first before I cut into a new piece of paper. It's amazing what I find!

Hope this helps.

Edited by user Sunday, October 03, 2010 10:44:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked ValerieSchomburg for this useful post.
BarbaraR Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 11:13:54 AM(UTC)
BarbaraR

United States

Was thanked: 614 time(s) in 441 post(s)
TerriScrapsnCA wrote:
I bought this drawer system last year on Black Friday for $25. My scraps are color coordinated with each drawer. I love it, it sits right by my Cricut table.

Oooh, I like that idea with the color coordination. Right now I save all my scraps (plain and printed) in a three drawer plastic container that sits on my bookshelf. However, it the scraps are large (say half sheet) I store them on the shelf with the uncut papers.
 1 user thanked BarbaraR for this useful post.
Maggiesmama53 Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 2:34:44 PM(UTC)
Maggiesmama53

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 39 post(s)
I pretty much do what Barbara does with one exception. Strips of cardstock that are 1" wide or less, I keep in a separate container by themselves. I have no clue what to do with them! BigGrin They're too small to use when cutting on the E. Sometimes I can emboss them and use them for borders but, I have a LOT of them. Any suggestions?
 1 user thanked Maggiesmama53 for this useful post.
lv2scrap02 Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 3:11:37 PM(UTC)
lv2scrap02

United States

Was thanked: 1229 time(s) in 952 post(s)
I only keep 3x3 up to 5 1/2 in a 8 1/2 x 11" Organizer folder and anything above 5 1/2 go into a 12x12 organizer folder that sits in my bottom desk drawer.

Very handy
 1 user thanked lv2scrap02 for this useful post.
~~L*I*N*D*A ^I~N^ C*O*L*O*R*A*D*O~~ Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 4:13:41 PM(UTC)
~~L*I*N*D*A ^I~N^ C*O*L*O*R*A*D*O~~

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Great question. I am a fan of that colored drawer method. I unfortunately don't have ROOM for a much else in my craftroom Flapper
I have one more space where I THINK I can squeeze in some stacked plastic drawers. I may be able to use some of those drawers for that purpose. I'm going to try it this week.
Up until now, I'm ashamed to admit that I don't save any scraps. IN MY DEFENSE, I squish so much onto a single piece of paper that I seldom have anything larger than a quarter leftover. If I use 1/2 tto 1/3 of a sheet of paper, I just shove it back into the paper stack. Hmmm... maybe that's a legitimate storage method? LOL

TFS
 1 user thanked ~~L*I*N*D*A ^I~N^ C*O*L*O*R*A*D*O~~ for this useful post.
ToniaA Offline
#13 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 4:42:04 PM(UTC)
ToniaA

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I keep clear 12x12 empty pages in a plastic box. I sort scraps by color (1 color for each page). It's easy to see what colors/patterns I have available when I am searching for a certain color. I only keep scraps that are 1/4 of a sheet of paper. Good luck.
 1 user thanked ToniaA for this useful post.
paperblossoms Offline
#14 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 4:43:44 PM(UTC)
paperblossoms

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 35 post(s)
I keep my scraps in 2 baskets, one for my cardstock and one for patterned paper. I do use a lot of them but I don't keep them if they are under a certian size....the size depends on what kind of paper it is and how much I like it. For the other scraps I give them to my kids to color, cut and glue with, they love it!
 1 user thanked paperblossoms for this useful post.
LenaFonkert Offline
#15 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 9:00:47 PM(UTC)
LenaFonkert

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I only keep scraps that are 3"x5" or bigger. I keep them in a Sterilite container that I purchased at Walmart. I use one hanging folder per colour. Here are the pics. For patterned paper, I put them all in a 12"x12" drawer. I don't have much of the patterned paper, so it works for me this way. This Sterilite container is kept neatly on one side under my desk. Good luck!

Edited by user Sunday, October 03, 2010 9:03:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LenaFonkert attached the following image(s):
100_2787.JPG
100_2788.JPG
100_2789.JPG
 2 users thanked LenaFonkert for this useful post.
shastadasi on 10/5/2010(UTC), SylviaAnadon on 10/5/2010(UTC)
MelissaStade Offline
#16 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 4:15:51 PM(UTC)
MelissaStade

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I have mine in a milk crate that hold file folders. They are all organized by color. I have the printed paper organized by color also. This is the first place that I go when I get ready to make anything. I save almost all my scraps, my sister-in-law thinks I am nuts because if it's one inch by one inch it gets saved for something. lol Hope this helps.
 1 user thanked MelissaStade for this useful post.
CROSSMYHEARTPAPERCRAFTS<3 Offline
#17 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 5:06:39 PM(UTC)
CROSSMYHEARTPAPERCRAFTS<3

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Angry
LenaFonkert wrote:
I only keep scraps that are 3"x5" or bigger. I keep them in a Sterilite container that I purchased at Walmart. I use one hanging folder per colour. Here are the pics. For patterned paper, I put them all in a 12"x12" drawer. I don't have much of the patterned paper, so it works for me this way. This Sterilite container is kept neatly on one side under my desk. Good luck!

.... woah!! I should do this !!! :)

I usually arrange them by colors, the solids I use a lot for my cricut cuts and small layers. If I don't have coordinating pattern papers and the scraps are really small I would throw them out. I sometimes forget to use them Angry
My2¢ Offline
#18 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 5:49:58 PM(UTC)
My2¢

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I use Cropper Hopper 12" x 12" envelopes for each basic color (reds, blues, greens, etc.)

Regina
twiggoddess Offline
#19 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 6:20:07 PM(UTC)
twiggoddess

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 14 post(s)
ValerieSchomburg wrote:
I recently organized all of my scraps taking them from one container and organizing them according to colors. I already had one of the 3-drawer units (12x12 drawers) I believe from Sterilite. Purchased one more at Wal-Mart for $11. I priced them at Joanne's and they were $23! So even with a coupon from Joanne's I got it for less. I merely typed labels on my computer (Blue, Black and White, Red and Pink, etc.)and attached with the clear tape used for shipping.I still need one more unit but until I get more scraps for my last two colors, it will wait. I don't use a lot of pink papers, so I put them with the red. Kept the black and white together since they are pretty neutral. So far I have enjoyed this system. I store all scraps both plain and patterned papers in the same drawer of any one color. Sometimes I do have to look in more than one drawer because not all papers have just one color. I always check my scraps first before I cut into a new piece of paper. It's amazing what I find!

Hope this helps.

I do the same thing, I have 4-3 draw units so far. works great for me. I keep them on my shelf above my work area.
ksqueenb Offline
#20 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 6:34:40 PM(UTC)
ksqueenb

United States

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 185 post(s)
I keep mine by color in 12 x 12 Craft Keeper envelopes and then I keep all of them in a wide Iris cart in a drawer. If it specialty paper (mulberry, metallic, glitter, etc.) then it is seperate but otherwise I keep by color even patterned and just use the primary color.
Marta Offline
#21 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 8:29:08 PM(UTC)
Marta

Was thanked: 381 time(s) in 292 post(s)
So many great ideas here. I am not one of those Crying - I keep them in a basket under my desk. Everything pretty much goes in there. I do use them, though. And, I try to design a card by starting with a piece of scrap first. I need to get it together and try one of these well-organized systems! Laugh
leelee Offline
#22 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 8:57:44 PM(UTC)
leelee

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I keep my scraps in two ways - the more recent scraps are on a tray I keep on my desk so I see it all the time... for the older scraps I have a couple of binders - one for cardstock and the other for pattern papers - I use the clear plastic page protectors to sort them by colour. If I have a lot of scraps from a particular project, I will keep them altogether as they are already colour coordinated! Then all I have to do is flip through to find what I want and they don't take up much space...
CraftyLady Offline
#23 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 9:00:52 PM(UTC)
CraftyLady

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 44 post(s)
When I make a card, I usually do two at a time to try and use as much of the chosen papers I am using for the card in mind. Any scraps, I toss them.
Blushing I know some of you are cringing out there, but I do recycle...BigGrin
MClicker Offline
#24 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 9:08:41 PM(UTC)
MClicker

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Blushing I just keep mine in a large plastic box underneath my crafting table and always check there first. I also have the cropper large envelopes. For example one for Halloween papers and put usable pieces no matter what size in that particular themed envelope. They are easily available when I am working on that particular theme. I store them in a scrapbooking cart with other themed envelopes for baby, christmas and so on.
SylviaAnadon Offline
#25 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 9:18:22 PM(UTC)
SylviaAnadon

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
LenaFonkert wrote:

I LOVE this idea. I have all mine seperated by color but they are in a box (a pretty box), :)
But, with this idea I could actually SEE them so I would use them more. Thanks for this.
Sylvia
AnisGranny Offline
#26 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 10:29:29 PM(UTC)
AnisGranny

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
OK, I guess I'm the cheap one here. :-) I got 12" pizza boxes from my local pizza place. I got them flat and had to fold and put them together, but it wasn't hard. I labeled the boxes with the color name on a label of the same color. Some boxes hold two related colors (pink and red), others just hold one, depending on the amount of scraps I have. I have a separate box for patterned scraps. They are stacked on a tall dresser near my table. It isn't pretty, but it works for me!