Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Sandycrafts Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:22:36 PM(UTC)
Sandycrafts

Groups: Registered

My daughter bought me the Expression for Christmas. I'm still pretty new to all this, but am plugging along. I am having a total hip replacement in a couple weeks and my daughter is coming home from out of state for a few days to help me after I come home from the hospital so I am making her a plastic glass with her name and butterflies, which she loves, on it as a thank you for taking care of me and to show her what I am doing with my Christmas present!

I am making the butterfly from the New Arrival Cartridge and I can't figure out how to get the holes for his eyes and mouth. It shows him having cute little eyes and a smile, but I don't know how to get those to cut.

I tried using the Shadow button and also the Blackout button, but still it cut solid.

Truthfully, I don't even understand what the difference between those two buttons are.
They are both pretty much the exact same size, not like a shadow for a smaller letter. If anybody can help with that that answer, too, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

I did put a couple of butterflies on the glass already and then realized there were no eyes or smile. I have another question about putting the body of the butterfly on his wings, but I guess that is another question for another time. I fudged it myself for now!

If anyone can tell me how to get the eyes to cut out, and also what the difference between the Shadow and Blackout buttons are I will love you for it!!!!

Sandy

P.S. I tried looking under the topic of Cartridges under New Arrival but that is projects made with that cartridge or people looking to sell and buy so I thought I'd try this regular forum, too. Thanks!
Sherri Kay Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:51:42 AM(UTC)
Sherri Kay

United States

Was thanked: 2307 time(s) in 2065 post(s)
Try the project in the front of the book. That will help you with how the layering goes. The way they show in the book are the order you cut them. Also, shift and then the layer button is another layer of the image. The eyes are usually the layer underneath showing through so you are not actually cutting out the eyes. I didn't bring the actual image up, so not sure how many layers there are, but look in the book and follow the order from there and you should be good to go! Smile

The shadow is exactly that--a shadow of the image. Make sure you have the Cricut set to Relative NOT Real size so the layers are all proportionate to one another.

Hope this helps you get that butterfly and many, many more images cut out with your Expression!! BigGrin
Olivia'sNana Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 4:50:11 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 768 time(s) in 346 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sandycrafts Go to Quoted Post
My daughter bought me the Expression for Christmas. I'm still pretty new to all this, but am plugging along. I am having a total hip replacement in a couple weeks and my daughter is coming home from out of state for a few days to help me after I come home from the hospital so I am making her a plastic glass with her name and butterflies, which she loves, on it as a thank you for taking care of me and to show her what I am doing with my Christmas present!

I am making the butterfly from the New Arrival Cartridge and I can't figure out how to get the holes for his eyes and mouth. It shows him having cute little eyes and a smile, but I don't know how to get those to cut.

I tried using the Shadow button and also the Blackout button, but still it cut solid.

Truthfully, I don't even understand what the difference between those two buttons are.
They are both pretty much the exact same size, not like a shadow for a smaller letter. If anybody can help with that that answer, too, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

I did put a couple of butterflies on the glass already and then realized there were no eyes or smile. I have another question about putting the body of the butterfly on his wings, but I guess that is another question for another time. I fudged it myself for now!

If anyone can tell me how to get the eyes to cut out, and also what the difference between the Shadow and Blackout buttons are I will love you for it!!!!

Sandy

P.S. I tried looking under the topic of Cartridges under New Arrival but that is projects made with that cartridge or people looking to sell and buy so I thought I'd try this regular forum, too. Thanks!

The base cut should be cutting the holes for eyes and mouth. You should be getting this layer by pressing just the image key (no shift and no feature keys should be used). The blackout image is placed under the base to show the color thru the base layer holes. In this image, you can use either the base blackout (whole image) or the shift blackout (center of body only. The other option you have is to not use the base image and use the base blackout instead. This would allow you to draw or stamp your own face on him. A lot of people use the cute little face stamps from peachy keen stamps rather than cutting the holes. The shadow cut is different from the base and blackout in that it is sized just slightly larger to give the finished image a little pop. You can choose to use the shadow or not. You get the center body cut by using your shift key + base image key or shift + blackout + base

The other difference between the base and the blackout image, as you can see in the screenprint where the base image has small cuts to use as guidelines for placing the top layer (body). The blackout is a solid cut with no interior cut lines.

Attached is an print screen of where i designed the image using cricut craftroom. I have layered up the image and then separated them so you can see how it should go together. The tabs along the top I have titled to correspond with the key/feature key to use.

Hope this helps. Hope all goes well with your surgery and your back on your feet soon. My MIL just had that same surgery last fall and is doing very well and no pain that she was having before the surgery.

Edited by user Thursday, February 20, 2014 5:05:51 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Olivia'sNana attached the following image(s):
butterfly.JPG
 1 user thanked Olivia'sNana for this useful post.
Sandycrafts on 2/20/2014(UTC)
Sandycrafts Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:05:37 AM(UTC)
Sandycrafts

Thank you, Olivia's Nana, for taking so much time to actually pull up the pictures and show me exactly what each feature does!!! That was SO NICE OF YOU!!!! I understand it now!

Thank you for the well wishes, too. This is my second hip replacement. I am riddled with arthritis and had my other hip replaced 2 1/2 years ago. My doctor said that age is on my side (I'm in my 50's) and if this surgery goes as well as the other one did, I will be very pleased. Then, its on to replacing the knees! (groan.......)