Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Scrappygal Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 11:54:23 AM(UTC)
Scrappygal

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 52 post(s)
Please do not flame me. This is just a question. I understand how the Print and Cut works in another machine but not sure how it is going to work in this machine. I know there will probably be registration marks but is there already included in the machine an optic eye or something like that that can read the registration marks. How will the machine be able to read them for accuracy of the cut if there is not? The print and cut feature is important to me and kind of a deal breaker.
PaperCraft65 Online
#2 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 12:40:24 PM(UTC)
PaperCraft65

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 72 post(s)
I wondered the same - if it has an electric eye like the other machines, why wouldn't it work from the beginning?

I have to say print & cut with the other machine is AMAZING. It opens up a whole new way of doing things. Looks SO professional, neat, and crisp. The possibilities are endless. Even doing fancy cuts on your own photos. SO fun! Great for invites and cards too.
melodylanedesigns Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 1:20:29 PM(UTC)
melodylanedesigns

Was thanked: 1786 time(s) in 887 post(s)
The Explore will never Print and cut and they don't claim it will. I agree with you I would never buy a machine for a feature it doesn't do. I want it for everything it does do at launch.
Here is there interpretation of print and cut, from the Cricut blog.

What’s the difference between print and cut, print then cut, and write and cut?

There’s been some confusion around these three terms—they’re all so similar! Here’s a quick explanation of these different functions and which of them apply to the Cricut Explore™ machine.

Print and cut—This refers to a machine that has a print head and cutting head, allowing it to print out an image and cut it. The Cricut Imagine™ had this functionality. Cricut Explore™ is not able to print and cut.
[b]Print then cut[/b]—This refers to a machine that is able to take an image printed separately like on a home printer, and then cut out the image using marks that the machine understands. This functionality will be available for current Cricut Explore™ machines in the second half of 2014.
Write and cut—This refers to a machine that has a cutting head and a head that can accept a pen to write or draw. Cricut Explore™ has both of these cutting heads side by side, so it can cut and write at the same time, without changing mats.
 1 user thanked melodylanedesigns for this useful post.
Mary R. on 1/25/2014(UTC)
Moxy77 Online
#4 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 2:32:47 PM(UTC)
Moxy77

United States

Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 280 post(s)
Originally Posted by: melodylanedesigns Go to Quoted Post
The Explore will never Print and cut and they don't claim it will. I agree with you I would never buy a machine for a feature it doesn't do. I want it for everything it does do at launch.
Here is there interpretation of print and cut, from the Cricut blog.

What’s the difference between print and cut, print then cut, and write and cut?

There’s been some confusion around these three terms—they’re all so similar! Here’s a quick explanation of these different functions and which of them apply to the Cricut Explore™ machine.

Print and cut—This refers to a machine that has a print head and cutting head, allowing it to print out an image and cut it. The Cricut Imagine™ had this functionality. Cricut Explore™ is not able to print and cut.
[b]Print then cut[/b]—This refers to a machine that is able to take an image printed separately like on a home printer, and then cut out the image using marks that the machine understands. This functionality will be available for current Cricut Explore™ machines in the second half of 2014.
Write and cut—This refers to a machine that has a cutting head and a head that can accept a pen to write or draw. Cricut Explore™ has both of these cutting heads side by side, so it can cut and write at the same time, without changing mats.

Melody, this is exactly what print and cut from the competition does they just want to use different terminology then the competition and maybe to differentiate from the Imagine. So they are for sure saying that it will print and cut which is what most people call it(it is the same process at what they are calling print then cut. At least that is the way my other machine works. Melissa

I forgot to say that it was just not going to be available till later in the year.

Edited by user Friday, January 24, 2014 2:34:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

3 users thanked Moxy77 for this useful post.
MaryScraps on 1/24/2014(UTC), GracefulGrammar on 1/24/2014(UTC), HisGem on 1/24/2014(UTC)
#5 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 2:42:44 PM(UTC)
melodylanedesigns

Originally Posted by: Moxy77 Go to Quoted Post
Melody, this is exactly what print and cut from the competition does they just want to use different terminology then the competition and maybe to differentiate from the Imagine. So they are for sure saying that it will print and cut which is what most people call it(it is the same process at what they are calling print then cut. At least that is the way my other machine works. Melissa

I forgot to say that it was just not going to be available till later in the year.

Oh ok, I just took this from the Cricut Blog, I guess Cricut thinks of print and cut like the Imagine did.
MaryScraps Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 3:58:35 PM(UTC)
MaryScraps

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 6699 time(s) in 2726 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Moxy77 Go to Quoted Post

I said the exact same thing in another thread. PC just changed the terminology.
It is really silly if you ask me.
 1 user thanked MaryScraps for this useful post.
mom2sidsquid on 1/25/2014(UTC)
Scrappygal Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 4:04:54 PM(UTC)
Scrappygal

United States

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 52 post(s)
I am well aware that this feature will not be available until the middle of the year. I was not asking about the system the Imagine used. I know that is no longer available. I was just trying to ask how they were going to be able to do the "Print Then Cut" (semantics). I know this on the other machine as "Print and Cut".

I guess the reason I am questioning this is because it seems like the machine should already have the optic eye to read the registration marks if that is how PC is going to do the Print Then Cut. If it is not there, then how will the machine know where to cut once you have printed your image on your printer and reloaded it into the Explore to cut? If the optic eye is included in the Explore, then are we just waiting for a firmware upgrade? I know there are a few people out there that want the Print Then Cut. Just curious as to how this is going to come about.

Edited by user Friday, January 24, 2014 4:15:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Scrapperdee Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 4:36:02 PM(UTC)
Scrapperdee

Canada

Was thanked: 4075 time(s) in 2336 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Scrappygal Go to Quoted Post
I am well aware that this feature will not be available until the middle of the year. I was not asking about the system the Imagine used. I know that is no longer available. I was just trying to ask how they were going to be able to do the "Print Then Cut" (semantics). I know this on the other machine as "Print and Cut".

I guess the reason I am questioning this is because it seems like the machine should already have the optic eye to read the registration marks if that is how PC is going to do the Print Then Cut. If it is not there, then how will the machine know where to cut once you have printed your image on your printer and reloaded it into the Explore to cut? If the optic eye is included in the Explore, then are we just waiting for a firmware upgrade? I know there are a few people out there that want the Print Then Cut. Just curious as to how this is going to come about.

Maybe there will be an accessory that is the optic eye...something that fits into the pen holder...eye in one, blade in the other.

#9 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 4:45:37 PM(UTC)
melodylanedesigns

Here is my guess from reading the patents...I think it is all in the software, you go to the software and deisgn and then you can fill in with color or pattern, from the software you send to a wifi printer you already own and then bring to explore to cut.

This is only a guess, I don't work for Cricut and I don't know more than what's on the internet already.
MaryScraps Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 5:30:27 PM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

From the Cricut Blog

◦Print then cut—This refers to a machine that is able to take an image printed separately like on a home printer, and then cut out the image using marks that the machine understands. This functionality will be available for current Cricut Explore™ machines in the second half of 2014.

So it appears they are going to be with registration marks.
So the Cricut Explore must have an optical eye to read the registration mark.
(Or "Marks" as PC terms it)

Edited by user Friday, January 24, 2014 5:37:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GracefulGrammar Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 5:43:41 PM(UTC)
GracefulGrammar

Was thanked: 1629 time(s) in 747 post(s)
Please do not flame me. This is just a question. I understand how the Print and Cut works in another machine but not sure how it is going to work in this machine. I know there will probably be registration marks but is there already included in the machine an optic eye or something like that that can read the registration marks. How will the machine be able to read them for accuracy of the cut if there is not? The print and cut feature is important to me and kind of a deal breaker.

I have been fortunate to have been part of the tech world since the early 1980's. If a feature is a "deal breaker" and "important" to you, imho, it's best to wait until that feature is up and running AND you can see it in action, either in person or at a minimum on Youtube demonstrated by an enduser.

The tech world can change in an instant. PTC (print then cut aka print & cut) isn't promised until the 2nd half of 2014. That could mean December 31, 2014!!!!!!!!! Unless you have an unlimited craft budget....... wait and see if this feature arrives and performs the way you want and expect.
 2 users thanked GracefulGrammar for this useful post.
MaryScraps on 1/24/2014(UTC), mom2sidsquid on 1/25/2014(UTC)
MaryScraps Offline
#12 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 5:46:56 PM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

Originally Posted by: GracefulGrammar Go to Quoted Post
I have been fortunate to have been part of the tech world since the early 1980's. If a feature is a "deal breaker" and "important" to you, imho, it's best to wait until that feature is up and running AND you can see it in action, either in person or at a minimum on Youtube demonstrated by an enduser.

The tech world can change in an instant. PTC (print then cut aka print & cut) isn't promised until the 2nd half of 2014. That could mean December 31, 2014!!!!!!!!! Unless you have an unlimited craft budget....... wait and see if this feature arrives and performs the way you want and expect.

Very good advice!! Videos should start coming out soon heard from the rumor mill.
MaryScraps Offline
#13 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 5:54:28 PM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

Here is the first video from Anna Griffin!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL_siMOaiz4#t=12

Edited by user Friday, January 24, 2014 5:56:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked MaryScraps for this useful post.
blurobin on 1/25/2014(UTC)
Ken's Kreations Offline
#14 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 5:59:24 PM(UTC)
Ken's Kreations

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1942 time(s) in 496 post(s)
I heard a rumor that you would print the item on your printer and scan the item into the design program and then cut it. The program will know exactly where to cut. This is just what i heard. It sounds to me like it will be just like the B***her SNC machine technology. I have used this machine and after you print the item the scanning technology just knows where to cut. Very cool! No need for an optical eye.
 5 users thanked Ken's Kreations for this useful post.
Scrappygal on 1/24/2014(UTC), talkinscrap on 1/24/2014(UTC), ssharp11d5c1f11b on 1/24/2014(UTC), mom2sidsquid on 1/25/2014(UTC), blurobin on 1/25/2014(UTC)
Moxy77 Online
#15 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 10:46:20 PM(UTC)
Moxy77

United States

Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 280 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ken's Kreations Go to Quoted Post
I heard a rumor that you would print the item on your printer and scan the item into the design program and then cut it. The program will know exactly where to cut. This is just what i heard. It sounds to me like it will be just like the B***her SNC machine technology. I have used this machine and after you print the item the scanning technology just knows where to cut. Very cool! No need for an optical eye.

Ken now that you mention it I think I have heard that too but that doesn't seam too complicated so why didn't that get that set up before launch? Although it probably is a bit more complicated than i think. Melissa

Thought of something else: Does the SNC machine have an electric eye or lazier thingy?

Edited by user Friday, January 24, 2014 10:48:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified