Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

eddie_hollandcec1d6df Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, December 27, 2013 11:46:55 PM(UTC)
eddie_hollandcec1d6df

Groups: Registered

I just got my first Cricut Expression 2 for Christmas. I was so excited but my excitement is leaving. Is it true I cannot upload my own jpeg bitmap ect image designs? This is hard to believe Cricut has no software for this? Anyone that has made any software has been sued. This is truly sad if true. I guess I will have to return my gift and look for something different Crying
JoyceG Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 28, 2013 12:25:15 PM(UTC)
JoyceG

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 884 time(s) in 576 post(s)
Cricut is a cartridge based machine meaning you need to own the cartridge to cut images out. However, with CCR-a free design program, You can design images by using cartridges you own and welding things together and then cut them out.

Joyce
Di&Co Online
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 28, 2013 8:02:53 PM(UTC)
Di&Co

Canada

Was thanked: 19073 time(s) in 4923 post(s)
Cricut has always been a cartridge based system. Great machines who cut beautiful artwork. Many of our Cricut owners use Design Studio to create stunning images using images welded to other images on the cartridges.

Sorry you're disappointed, but you should have researched what you were looking for a bit better. I have looked at other machines and I come back to Cricut every time because I love the art work.

Good luck to you.
PaperCraft65 Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 28, 2013 9:07:30 PM(UTC)
PaperCraft65

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 72 post(s)
I went with the Cameo to cut my own stuff - but I love the Cuttlebug to do the embossing! Really makes things "pop". I have had my cuttlebug for a while and never used it - WOW - what I was missing out on!

I had the first Expression and it was a super nice machine though, just didn't have the creative freedom I was after. The cartridge prices were crazy too. I am kind of surprised that they don't have a more open type machine yet. Maybe it is coming.
eddie_hollandcec1d6df Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 29, 2013 6:16:23 AM(UTC)
eddie_hollandcec1d6df

when i researched I found a video of a guy cutting out his own design of a car on youtube using a cricut.So you use to be able to do this. I would never dreamed a company would lock down the capabilities of a machine from their customers. The thing is the machine is capable of allowing you to upload your own designs but the company doesn't want you to do this. Why? Because they think they can make more money forcing you to use their designs. I am posting this information to hopefully make more people aware of what cricut is doing to the consumer. I have found many reviews of people simply going to other machines because cricut thinks they can sell more cartridges by locking these features out. Its a shame its a nice machine at a better price. I really wish they hadn't done this. And hope in the future they will see this is backfiring on them and people are simply going another direction.
Di&Co Online
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 29, 2013 9:01:38 AM(UTC)
Di&Co

Canada

Was thanked: 19073 time(s) in 4923 post(s)
Actually, Cricut has always been a cartridge based program. Provo Craft never created anything to do what you describe on the video you saw. The program was created by someone else without PC's permission. It can no longer be sold.

Im surprised that you could find info on everything else but the info on the court battle.

Leanner Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 29, 2013 9:55:25 AM(UTC)
Leanner

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 1481 time(s) in 1091 post(s)
I have both cutting systems and each has its strengths and weaknesses. I find that I use both of them equally, depending on the project that I wish to create.
scrapalette Online
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 29, 2013 10:10:34 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Was thanked: 18426 time(s) in 8189 post(s)
Originally Posted by: eddie_hollandcec1d6df Go to Quoted Post
when i researched I found a video of a guy cutting out his own design of a car on youtube using a cricut.So you use to be able to do this. I would never dreamed a company would lock down the capabilities of a machine from their customers. The thing is the machine is capable of allowing you to upload your own designs but the company doesn't want you to do this. Why? Because they think they can make more money forcing you to use their designs. I am posting this information to hopefully make more people aware of what cricut is doing to the consumer. I have found many reviews of people simply going to other machines because cricut thinks they can sell more cartridges by locking these features out. Its a shame its a nice machine at a better price. I really wish they hadn't done this. And hope in the future they will see this is backfiring on them and people are simply going another direction.

Cricut developed a cart based cutter when all other cutters on the market were software based. Yes, they want to sell carts. Otherwise, they wouldn't have created a cart based cutter>

But PC isn't "doing anything" to the consumer except offering a cart based cutter. That requires carts to work. People can choose to buy a Cricut or not. And imagine. . .a company that wants to sell their product. Isn't that the base of the free enterprise system?

While PC did sue the makers of the 3rd party software, they never did anything to the consumers that already owned the software. They didn't even do anything to keep them from continuing to use the software with their Cricut. And when PC sued the software makers, they all settled out of court. They {or their attorneys knew} they had infringed on PC's copyrights.

However, it is too bad that the bloggers and youtubers and other crafters who still have and use 3rd party software with their Cricuts don't bother to inform people that the software they use is no longer compatible with a Cricut. But, that's on them, not PC.
kbugsmom Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 02, 2014 2:45:44 PM(UTC)
kbugsmom

If I upgrade from the mini to the E2, can I still use all my downloaded cartridges in the CCR? I don't want to loose them.
MamasScrappin Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 02, 2014 3:21:45 PM(UTC)
MamasScrappin

Was thanked: 693 time(s) in 630 post(s)
All the cartridges that you have connected in CCR or that you own can be used in CCR no matter which cricut machine you use. I have my first Expression hooked up to my computer so I can play with CCR with a few connected cartridges. I have a gypsy that I love using and use that on my other Expression. So, yes you can.
scrapalette Online
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 02, 2014 3:24:31 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Was thanked: 18426 time(s) in 8189 post(s)
You won't. All the carts you link, either through CCR or a Gypsy, are linked to your cricut.com account. You can use them with any Cricut. Even if your computer crashes, you don't lose any carts or files because PC stores them.
casswmsc377e368 Offline
#12 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2014 10:03:02 AM(UTC)
casswmsc377e368

I brought a Cricut because there was wonderful advertisements for the Expression. I purchased cartridges when they were on sale or clearance. I became excited about the types of things I could create. Then I ran into a software program that allowed me to become even more creative. So I used cartridges, purchased files, downloaded files and created files. NoW I can only use cartridges from pc. I miss the unlimited creativity. Yeah the cricut is a cartridge machine, but it is ashamed they didn't move forward with technology. So now I too will have to save my money and buy a different machine where I can be creative.

Sad thing is... I was in the process of creating center pieces for my mother's 90th birthday party, and my cricut stopped working because of a windows system update, and after making 126 roses I have no matching paper vases for the party tomorrow. I am extremely sad. She will not experience the design I had planned for her. ( and at her age she was part of the planning process.)

As a cricut user I knew that I would have to use provo craft product to keep my machine running. Also with the software freedom I really used my machine more. But when you don't consider the creative growth of your customer, you have no care for their ability to do more or create more (or send more on your products).

Signed DISAPPOINT CRAFTER

Edited by user Friday, January 10, 2014 10:09:51 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

poodlebone Offline
#13 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2014 10:21:26 AM(UTC)
poodlebone

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 34 post(s)
I have a Cricut Expression, given to me by my sister just last summer. I knew it used cartridges and having no experience with any kind of paper crafts or machines, I was fine with that. I assumed all similar cutters would also have proprietary content - after all, that's where the real money is. You only buy the one machine and the companies want you to keep spending once you have it.

Still, I am happy with my Expression. I buy almost all of my cartridges on eBay and have gotten some great deals. I'm not the type who needs to have a new cartridge as soon as it's released. I'm willing to wait for the price to come down, which is almost always does. I have also bought some used cartridges very cheap. Most of them were already linked so I can't link them to my CCR account, making it just a minor inconvenience to have to insert the physical cartridge to cut.

My sister, who had the original Cricut when it first came out (and every model after that) used to buy every cartridge it seems. She has something like 250 of them and I can borrow whatever I need from her. She stopped buying them a couple of years ago so anything relatively new that I want I'd have to buy myself. She just got a Cameo and loves it and no longer uses her Cricuts much.

My sister also has a Gypsy which she doesn't like. I still am not sure what the advantage is in using one. It's got a tiny screen, it would drive me crazy! I really like CCR, just wish it allowed for more manipulation of the images, such as cutting parts of images off. I know with the Gypsy you can move things to the edge of the virtual mat to prevent them from cutting, but I'd like to be able to select an area of an image and remove it.
cdelgadovega2308e3de Offline
#14 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:03:53 AM(UTC)
cdelgadovega2308e3de

I just received my cricut for Christmas and it has completely crashed,,, I have tried restoring it 5 times and it gets stuck of process recovery data! I need this problem fixed NOW!! I am in the middle of making invitations that need to be sent out in 3 weeks! I should not be having so much trouble on a brand new machine! At first it would connect with my computer I restarted computer, machine, re installed cricut craft room... Now nothing and I mean NOTHING is working! Craft room won't open and machine DOES NOT WORK! Someone help me please! Calling customer service is almost impossible because the phone just ringside and know one answers!
LilKiwi2569 Offline
#15 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 1:34:03 PM(UTC)
LilKiwi2569

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Cricut Explore which is available in February is complete creative freedom!!!! I wish I would have waited, as usual I'm buying something and the next best thing comes out. The video is on the homepage of Cricut.

Love