Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Annabella Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 1:23:22 PM(UTC)
Annabella

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 624 time(s) in 509 post(s)
I'm not sure if it really is a bargain or not. A Mini and 3 carts for $90.
Which are you paying for???

If I used CCR or went to crops, this might be a great deal??!!
 1 user thanked Annabella for this useful post.
rhondah* on 12/12/2013(UTC)
JoyceG Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:23:05 PM(UTC)
JoyceG

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 884 time(s) in 576 post(s)
I might be wrong but I thought I read that you have to use CCR with the mini. Hopefully someone will be able to confirm or deny that.

I haven't been interested in the mini machine because I don't want to buy smaller mats. But if I was in the market for it....and didn't already have most of the carts that you can choose from..then it wouldn't be a bad deal..I guess.

Joyce
 1 user thanked JoyceG for this useful post.
rhondah* on 12/12/2013(UTC)
Kiethann Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:25:37 PM(UTC)
Kiethann

United States

Was thanked: 456 time(s) in 341 post(s)
I have heard that more than once. I never ever had to connect my mini to CCR. I use it when I go to crops. Haven't been to one in quite some time, but now I am curious as to whether it will work with out CCR. Will have to give it a try.
Kiethann Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 4:51:13 PM(UTC)
Kiethann

United States

Was thanked: 456 time(s) in 341 post(s)
I do have the Create also, but I always took my mini with me to crops because at that time it was the only one I did own. I even took it over to my sister's house when we got together to do some crafting. Maybe it is just the new mini. I have had my mini for several years.
CricketCMV Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 4:57:15 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 7600 time(s) in 4449 post(s)
The MINI will ONLY WORK when it is connected to CCR. You cannot use it manually; it doesn't have any kind of control panel or display on it to dial in your specifications. IT IS DESIGNED TO WORK WITH CCR.

It's smaller than the Expression, which is appealing to those of us who LOVE to use the program.

Of course, you can only use an 8X12" mat with it; so you are limited. BUT, there are many times that's all I need when finishing up various projects. Just turn it on, bring up CCR and my project and VOILA, it's ready to CUT. It cuts very good, too.

Char
CricketCMV Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 4:59:09 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Sorry.....I posted without reading the other posts all the way through.

The OP is right....the Cake Mini came out first and it does have the controls on it.

The MINI MACHINE came out two years ago and clearly does not have controls/display panel; so, you do have to use it with the computer.

Char
MultiCrafter Amy Online
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:28:55 PM(UTC)
MultiCrafter Amy

United States

Was thanked: 10557 time(s) in 1900 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kiethann Go to Quoted Post
I do have the Create also, but I always took my mini with me to crops because at that time it was the only one I did own. I even took it over to my sister's house when we got together to do some crafting. Maybe it is just the new mini. I have had my mini for several years.

I think you are talking about the original Cricut machine. =http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cricut-Personal-Electronic-Cutter-by-Provo-Craft-29-0001-scrapbooking-machine-/291035157442?pt=US_Die_Cutting_Machines_Dies&hash=item43c30c13c2

This is the mini = http://www.cricut.com/Sh...nic-Cutter-363-1715.aspx

It can be confusing with the number of different machines PC has made.

1 user thanked MultiCrafter Amy for this useful post.
JoyceG on 12/11/2013(UTC)
Annabella Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 7:29:28 PM(UTC)
Annabella

United States

My Bad!!! I had it alllll mixed up!!!

But, it did sell for about $90. originally , didn't it???

Either way, I guess it would be a bargain if you didn't have the carts or wanted the digi's.
JoyceG Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:21:12 PM(UTC)
JoyceG

Originally Posted by: Bee Snaps Go to Quoted Post
I think the Mini does need to be connected to a computer/CCR to cut. It says that on the Cricut website.
http://www.cricut.com/home/learn/machines/mini

The machines can get kind of confusing...

Kiethann - I wonder if you have the Cricut Create (which is a stand alone - does not need to be connected.. It is the smaller sized machine, but an older machine.

The Cricut Cake Mini is the "Cricut Create" that is made for cutting cake decorations... But it is called the "Cake Mini" - but it is not a "Mini" it is a "Create"

And then there is the new Mini - is the one that needs to be connected to CCR to work.

Confused? LOL!

Yes, very confused!! LOL The mini I know about but never seen or used uses the 8 x 12" mats.

Joyce

JoyceG Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:26:10 PM(UTC)
JoyceG

Originally Posted by: CricketCMV Go to Quoted Post
The MINI will ONLY WORK when it is connected to CCR. You cannot use it manually; it doesn't have any kind of control panel or display on it to dial in your specifications. IT IS DESIGNED TO WORK WITH CCR.

It's smaller than the Expression, which is appealing to those of us who LOVE to use the program.

Of course, you can only use an 8X12" mat with it; so you are limited. BUT, there are many times that's all I need when finishing up various projects. Just turn it on, bring up CCR and my project and VOILA, it's ready to CUT. It cuts very good, too.

Char

I thought so. Guess lots of people call the smaller machines- mini's. I only ever heard of the create (6" mats), the Expression, Expression 2, cake, imagine and the mini. I have also heard of the personal but I always thought that and the create was the same machine.

Joyce

JoyceG Offline
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:29:21 PM(UTC)
JoyceG

Sorry.....I posted without reading the other posts all the way through.

The OP is right....the Cake Mini came out first and it does have the controls on it.

The MINI MACHINE came out two years ago and clearly does not have controls/display panel; so, you do have to use it with the computer.

Char

I never know there was a mini cake machine. does it use 6" mats? Can you use it to cut paper and not just icings? I thought the cake machines didn't have the rubber grips around the roller bar to grasps and feed the mat into the machine.

Joyce

JenRomaker Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:46:15 AM(UTC)
JenRomaker

Was thanked: 106 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Quote:
I never know there was a mini cake machine. does it use 6" mats? Can you use it to cut paper and not just icings? I thought the cake machines didn't have the rubber grips around the roller bar to grasps and feed the mat into the machine.

Joyce

I have both the Cake and regular expressions. The only difference between the two is that the Cake is made using food-safe materials like stainless steel (or something similar) for it's components. The mat is a little different because you use shortening to stick the fondant/icing sheets to it, but it is the same 12x12 size and feeds into the machine the same (I'm assuming the Cake Mini is the same, just smaller). The dials/display are the same as the regular E, but there is a rubber cover you put over the top of the display/overlay area so it doesn't get greasy.

I do cake decorating on the side, but never really got into using my Cake E, so now I'm just keeping it as a backup for my paper crafting. Of course, once you use it for paper you can't go back to using it for icing/fondant so holding out until absolutely necessary in case I change my mind and want it for cake decorating. BigGrin HTH

Jennifer
~AmyS~ Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:14:48 AM(UTC)
~AmyS~

Was thanked: 3191 time(s) in 1353 post(s)
List of Machines and Design Programs (nicknames):

Personal Cricut Cutter(Baby Bug, Original, V1) (Retired?)
Design Studio (DS) (Retired)

Cricut Expression (E)
Cricut Create Personal Cutter (Create)(Retired)
Cake Expression (Cake) (Retired)
Cake Personal Cricut Machine(Cake Mini) (Retired)
JukeBox
Gypsy (G) (Retired)
Imagine Machine (Imagine, I) (Retired)
Expression 2 Anniversary (E2A) (Retired)

Expression 2 (E2)
Cricut Craft Room (CCR)
Cricut Mini Personal Cutter(Mini)

The Cricut Mini will work with the CCR program and with the Gypsy (if you have one). You can not use cartridges in this machine as a straight cut process (in the manner of the Baby Bug, Create, or E), the cartridge port is for linking the cartridges or for the cutting program to access the cartridges. You can use the Jukebox with several cartridges so you don't have to swap out the cartridges while it cuts.

~~~~
I don't see the deal you mentioned? However, if it is the Mini with 3 carts - I assume the carts were digital? If so, yes it is a good deal, but I doubt that PC is trying to "get rid" of any of those. Giving 3 digital carts away with the sale of a Mini machine is not really a biggie to them as there is little overhead for digital cartridges. They are trying to get more and more of their customer base to switch to the digital cartridges, so this is just another marketing tactic.

Edited by user Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:16:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Annabella Offline
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 10:03:18 AM(UTC)
Annabella

United States

The deal I seen had several Digi/ machine and a 3 pack of font carts and mini and when I was a kid and 2 others with the mini.

The post was actually being sarcastic. I guess I fall into the category that Scraplette was upset about: remarks that the PC product just "can't do that" Instead of saying it doesn't do that but it does do this.

Sorry!!!
JoyceG Offline
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 10:14:51 AM(UTC)
JoyceG

Originally Posted by: ~AmyS~ Go to Quoted Post
List of Machines and Design Programs (nicknames):

~~~~
I don't see the deal you mentioned? However, if it is the Mini with 3 carts - I assume the carts were digital? If so, yes it is a good deal, but I doubt that PC is trying to "get rid" of any of those. Giving 3 digital carts away with the sale of a Mini machine is not really a biggie to them as there is little overhead for digital cartridges. They are trying to get more and more of their customer base to switch to the digital cartridges, so this is just another marketing tactic.

The deal was one of the 12 days of Christmas deals a couple days ago. You had options to choose from, you could pick physical carts or digital cart packages. I would have picked the physical cart option but I already had at least 2 of each cart that was in each bundle-so it wasn't worth getting it. But I did get a digital cartridge last night during the 30% off digital sale. It had been discontinued and was my only way to get it.

Joyce

TammyPuckett Offline
#16 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 10:30:40 AM(UTC)
TammyPuckett

Was thanked: 319 time(s) in 181 post(s)
The Mini can only be used with CCR or the Gypsy! Most of the crops that I go to does not have internet access so that leaves someone with a Gypsy at a loss! I am fortunate that I have a Gypsy & used the one that I had at crops, but I sold it & went back to an Expression! I looked at the carts with this deal & I have all but 2 of the font cartridges! I would rather have seen PC give a list of carts to choose from instead of bundling them like they have.
scrapalette Offline
#17 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:21:42 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 18427 time(s) in 8190 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Annabella Go to Quoted Post
The deal I seen had several Digi/ machine and a 3 pack of font carts and mini and when I was a kid and 2 others with the mini.

The post was actually being sarcastic. I guess I fall into the category that Scraplette was upset about: remarks that the PC product just "can't do that" Instead of saying it doesn't do that but it does do this.

Sorry!!!

Nope, not at all what I was referring to in the other thread. I was referring to people who tell someone looking for help with a project that their Cricut can't do whatever it is they want to do instead of helping them learn the way the Cricut can do it.
CricketCMV Offline
#18 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:30:56 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: JoyceG Go to Quoted Post

Joyce

Joyce....I don't know what mats the Mini Cake uses; I'm sure it's posted on here somewhere...maybe up in SUPPORT and go down to the bottom and click on MACHINES? I just went out to check...didn't get it on this site, though....yes, it uses 6"X12" mats. The MINI CAKE is no longer sold, if I remember right.

I believe you could also use it to cut paper.....did anyone here ever own one? Did you ever use it on paper?

Char
CricketCMV Offline
#19 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:35:04 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: Annabella Go to Quoted Post
My Bad!!! I had it alllll mixed up!!!

But, it did sell for about $90. originally , didn't it???

Either way, I guess it would be a bargain if you didn't have the carts or wanted the digi's.

Annabella....you can use the cartridges in the MINI. In other words, even though you HAVE to use CCR to use the MINI, you don't have to buy digital content for images you already have the cartridges for. That's for those of us who don't want to LINK our cartridges and at first, I was NEVER going to buy digital content. I have succumbed to buying digital content and I really do like being able to design/cut without pulling out the cartridges. I have only bought digital content for cartridges I don't currently own, though.

I bought my MINI at launch for $90 two years ago.

I actually bought it, originally, as a backup for my Expression in case anything ever happened to it. I've had it since 2008 and I have used it quite a lot....not as much as some do, I'm sure.

THEN, I realized after I bought it and started loving having it right beside my computer that it didn't really replace my Expression at all....it only used a 8-1/2"X12" mat, so I was limited!!!
However, I find myself using the smaller mat a lot...and it's very handy.

I have since bought a REAL backup Expression....for only $170 at this site (it included the two flower cartridges, so I figured I got a pretty good bargain on the machine itself.

Char

Edited by user Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:37:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MaryStillman Offline
#20 Posted : Sunday, December 15, 2013 10:21:35 AM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1210 time(s) in 763 post(s)
That's for those of us who don't want to LINK our cartridges and at first, I was NEVER going to buy digital content. I have succumbed to buying digital content and I really do like being able to design/cut without pulling out the cartridges. I have only bought digital content for cartridges I don't currently own, though.
Char

I agree with you there Char. I wasn't going to buy digital. But when I saw the carts did transfer to my gypsy, I started purchasing digital. I still prefer the paper books as the quality is so much better. The one thing I do wish is that PC offered as a product the option to purchase a paper book that comes with the digital cart. The one thing that I do like about the digital is that if you are going to print the colors for your images, you can use a tool to get the rgb colors from the digital image and flood fill your paper with that color. I have used that method a lot. Even though I have a good printer, I do prefer the quality of the inks on purchased scrapbook paper to printing my own, but sometimes printing your own is the only way to get the color.

Mary

PS I like your avatar.