Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

grammasue Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 03, 2013 8:41:03 PM(UTC)
grammasue

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 465 time(s) in 265 post(s)
The few times I have made my own Christmas cards, I have purchased ready made envelopes. Unfortunately the one I came up with this year is of a size that does not fit those on the market or at least here in our stores. So I have made my own envelopes using Artiste which I love. My question is for those of you that make envelopes for your cards, what kind of glue do you use in putting them together as well as sealing the flap closed. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
LazyBee Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 03, 2013 10:08:26 PM(UTC)
LazyBee

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 637 time(s) in 304 post(s)
I generally just use the double sided tape as this seems to hold the best. I have tried stick glue...but not strong enough and the wet glue can make some papers buckle or get those funny little ridges. If making as gifts then I try to find double sided tape that has the peely thing on it so the 2 sides don't stick together. HTH
 1 user thanked LazyBee for this useful post.
grammasue on 10/3/2013(UTC)
KauaiMelody Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, October 04, 2013 7:03:26 AM(UTC)
KauaiMelody

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 1968 time(s) in 888 post(s)
As a teacher, the students always used glue sticks and I noted that they worked well. We made lots of cards for fund raisers. Forgot the brand, as some work better then others. Then we added a sticker with the backing left on to seal. Someone on the boards suggested it was easier to make the envelopes first and then cut the card to fit.

Edited by user Friday, October 04, 2013 7:05:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jessie Adams Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, October 04, 2013 7:06:07 AM(UTC)
Jessie Adams

Was thanked: 1011 time(s) in 652 post(s)
Definitely use double-sided tape to form the envelope. You don't want to chance that a glue may give out when being handled at the post office. Scared

Do a google search to find various glues that will securely seal the flap.
Some are even "lickable" Tongue once dry!
grammasue Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, October 04, 2013 7:58:12 AM(UTC)
grammasue

Originally Posted by: KauaiMelody Go to Quoted Post
As a teacher, the students always used glue sticks and I noted that they worked well. We made lots of cards for fund raisers. Forgot the brand, as some work better then others. Then we added a sticker with the backing left on to seal. Someone on the boards suggested it was easier to make the envelopes first and then cut the card to fit.

GOOD ADVICE ON MAKING ENVELOPES BEFORE THE CARDSLaugh My card is a collage of pictures front and back so I was stuck using the Epson 12x12 photo quality paper that could be printed front and back. This was the only size paper I could find whereby I could print on both sides in photo quality prints. I ended up with one card per sheet ending up with a 4x6 tri-fold card without any waste of paper. I didn't think I would have difficulty finding an envelope on the market as I have been spoiled by having "Paper Zone" in our area which had every size envelope you could imagine. They went out of business here so was stuck with Michaels and Joanns.Crying

The good news was that I had purchased years ago a couple pads of Christmas paper that was heavier than most background paper. Since I am trying to downsize, I ended up using most of the pads of paper for the envelopes[biggrin). Since I am a scrapbooker, I never would have used up all of the same size papers in these pads!

Thanks everyone for your help. I did find a post on the internet suggesting to use 2 parts glue and 1 part vinegar in making a lickable glue for the flap. I am going to try that out!

joyfullycrafting Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, October 04, 2013 8:04:05 AM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1392 time(s) in 1102 post(s)
GrammySue, do you have your own 12x12 printer? I would sure love one. I like to do digital scrapping, but right now I just do 8 1/2 x 11 scrapping. I want to make 12x12 pages as well.

I did just find out that Costco prints 12x12 for 2.99, which isn't too bad.

I have only just started making envelopes and I use my ATG gun to put them together. Also, I have used to to seal them. That way, I know they won't open!
EstherWheat Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, October 04, 2013 8:14:15 AM(UTC)
EstherWheat

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 138 post(s)
The We R Memory Keepers Envelope Punch Board is AMAZING. It tells you the size of paper to cut and then has a punch and guide to make perfect envelopes! I use mine all the time and will never have to buy envelopes again! I got mine through HSN. Also, glue sticks can fail if the envelope gets hot. I would do the double sided tape. Good luck and I hope this helps!
 1 user thanked EstherWheat for this useful post.
rhondah* on 10/4/2013(UTC)
rhondah* Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, October 04, 2013 8:38:27 AM(UTC)
rhondah*

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 12377 time(s) in 8258 post(s)
Originally Posted by: EstherWheat Go to Quoted Post
The We R Memory Keepers Envelope Punch Board is AMAZING. It tells you the size of paper to cut and then has a punch and guide to make perfect envelopes! I use mine all the time and will never have to buy envelopes again! I got mine through HSN. Also, glue sticks can fail if the envelope gets hot. I would do the double sided tape. Good luck and I hope this helps!

I love mine! Many times I have used my ATG for envelope adhesive and it's worked fine.
grammasue Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, October 04, 2013 8:38:34 AM(UTC)
grammasue

Originally Posted by: joyfullycrafting Go to Quoted Post
GrammySue, do you have your own 12x12 printer? I would sure love one. I like to do digital scrapping, but right now I just do 8 1/2 x 11 scrapping. I want to make 12x12 pages as well.

I did just find out that Costco prints 12x12 for 2.99, which isn't too bad.

I have only just started making envelopes and I use my ATG gun to put them together. Also, I have used to to seal them. That way, I know they won't open!

I have used a wide format Epson printer for YEARS which prints up to 13x19 photo quality Epson paper. I use a design program to resize and crop my digital pictures to fit my scrapbook layout. I use 13x19 size paper the most to print my pictures. Over the last 13 years, none of my original printouts have faded with the quality of print amazing. I am currently stuck with using the Epson Stylus Photo 2200 printer in that my software program has been discontinued and the new printers are not compatible with the software. I purchased a backup with both of them on their last leg. Not sure what I will do when they die as there are no parts available to keep them running. I am checking Ebay for one with little use and in good condition. In researching the new Epson printers on the market I liked the R2880 and would have bought that had it worked with my software.

Printers have been a discussion on this board for years. What I have posted in the past is that my experience with HP versus Epson, is that the HP inks will run if they get wet whereas Epson inks hold up without damage when wet. I must qualify this with the fact that my test was done several years ago so hopefully HP has come out with new inks that will not run when exposed to water. You can't go wrong if you get an Epson. The downsize is that they do use alot of ink but for me it is worth the investment. Good luck. You will love love the wide format printers.
joyfullycrafting Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, October 04, 2013 9:11:16 AM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1392 time(s) in 1102 post(s)
I currently use an HP photo printer that we have had for quite a long time. We are really happy with the way it prints, but I have never tried the water test.

How expensive is the paper for your Epson? And is it hard to find?

I use Photoshop Elements for all of my digital scrapping, so I am thinking it would probably be compatible with almost all printers since it is such a common software program.
grammasue Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, October 04, 2013 10:06:20 AM(UTC)
grammasue

Originally Posted by: joyfullycrafting Go to Quoted Post
I currently use an HP photo printer that we have had for quite a long time. We are really happy with the way it prints, but I have never tried the water test.

How expensive is the paper for your Epson? And is it hard to find?

I use Photoshop Elements for all of my digital scrapping, so I am thinking it would probably be compatible with almost all printers since it is such a common software program.

You are probably right about Photoshop. I do so much resizing, cropping and adding name tags on the actual photos so not sure if Photo Shop has that capability. The other big issue for me is that I have completed over 4000 scrapbook pages that are stored on my computer using my old Pagemaker software which is not a huge problem as they are all printed and in photo albums. However once in awhile I go back to retrieve some for additional copies. I mainly worry about the existing prints getting ruined or albums lost and family wanting or needing to go back and print them. I have backups of all in my fire proof safe. I know, I know technology is going to outdate me in the near future. I am just hanging on for nowBigGrin

The photo quality paper is expensive no matter what type of printer you have. Where I save is buying off the internet during sales and free shipping offers and using the 13x19 paper to get the most pictures for the buck and for printing one sided background pages. I use alot of our family photos with a scenic background to print as my background paper and then add additional pictures and narrative to the page. I also get alot of background pictures off the internet. As an example, I just got an areial view of the town where my grandson is going to college to use as a background. My thought process was that he would get a kick out of showing his kids where he went to college. Most of my supplies come from ATLEX.com who have 1-2 day delivery without additional charge.