Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

EstherWheat Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 8:47:33 PM(UTC)
EstherWheat

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 138 post(s)
My mom has moved into a very nice nursing home and I want to volunteer to teach some classes. I am thinking of making cards. I would probably have to put together precut kits that just need to be assembled.

I would appreciate any ides that you may have and experiences that you could share to make this smooth and fun!

Thanks!!!
 1 user thanked EstherWheat for this useful post.
JoyceG on 7/12/2013(UTC)
jojoy Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, July 08, 2013 5:47:05 AM(UTC)
jojoy

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 8768 time(s) in 3066 post(s)
What a wonderful idea! I wish I had been into cardmaking at the time my mother was in a nursing home years ago. I think you are right, you will need to put kits together. You will also need a lot of patience.

Good Luck to you!
Leanner Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, July 08, 2013 6:10:04 AM(UTC)
Leanner

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 1481 time(s) in 1091 post(s)
Perhaps some seasonal decorations or something that they can put on their doors?
 1 user thanked Leanner for this useful post.
EstherWheat on 7/8/2013(UTC)
ShawnMosch Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, July 08, 2013 7:43:24 AM(UTC)
ShawnMosch

Was thanked: 842 time(s) in 286 post(s)
Originally Posted by: EstherWheat Go to Quoted Post
My mom has moved into a very nice nursing home and I want to volunteer to teach some classes. I am thinking of making cards. I would probably have to put together precut kits that just need to be assembled.

I would appreciate any ides that you may have and experiences that you could share to make this smooth and fun!

Thanks!!!

That is such a great idea! My first idea would be to reach out to a company that sells card kits and see if they would be willing to donate a few kits for you to use . . . then you will take photos of the kits for them to use on their site/blog showing how easy it was for people to make the cards using their kits.

There is a company I am working with, and I personally see their product as being something good for use in nursing homes for decoration and I wanted to find someone to connect with that could help me show this product at a nursing home and test out my idea. Would this be something you would be interested in? If so, send me a message.

Shawn
EstherWheat Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, July 08, 2013 2:21:55 PM(UTC)
EstherWheat

Thanks everyone. I sent you a message Shawn.

I like the idea of room décor as well as the cards. I will start brain storming now to see what I can come up with!
 1 user thanked EstherWheat for this useful post.
ShawnMosch on 7/8/2013(UTC)
Annabella Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, July 08, 2013 3:32:18 PM(UTC)
Annabella

United States

Was thanked: 624 time(s) in 509 post(s)
I have done some massive cutting of card items and worked an assembly to have them assembled. I had small groups doing about 15 or so of one kind. Then I sent them off to Operation Write Home. I was able to print a few items from the web site and use that as an advertisement of sort to get the seniors involves. It helped both OWH and the seniors feel good about what they were doing.
 1 user thanked Annabella for this useful post.
EstherWheat on 7/8/2013(UTC)
Kiethann Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:08:04 PM(UTC)
Kiethann

United States

Was thanked: 456 time(s) in 341 post(s)
I held card making and scrapbooking sessions at the nursing home where I worked. First time I took different colors of cardstock, card bases, pens markers, stickers, my Cricut and the heritage and sentimental cartridges plus two of my font cartridges. I also took some glue pens and good adhesive runners. I also took a 12 inch paper trimmer to trim anything which they crafters wanted to use on their cards. Recognizing that each person's taste and likes might be different I pretty much just let the ladies and men (yes there were a few men who wanted to make cards) decide how they wanted to decorate the cards. Needless to say, each session had more attend.

One day, a few of the ladies asked me about making their own memory albums. I had each interested person have a loved one bring in 5-10 photos for their album pages. By the end of the summer....each person had their own personalized memory album. We had a great time and I just loved all the residents talk about growing up. One lady remembered coming across the prairie in a wagon and another talked about the time she was a Harvey girl.

when I did the card sessions, I chose a theme or holiday to work on. The ladies and men would just filter in throughout the sessions and make their cards or work on scrapbook pages. It meant a lot to them to be able to have handmade cards to use throughout the years.

Even though I am not working there anymore, I still have one lady who asks me to make her handmade cards for holidays and occasions.

The one other thing I wanted to do was have each resident make a sign ( related to their job or other hobby or interst) to hang on their door. I had planned on using die cuts from Cricut for that.
 1 user thanked Kiethann for this useful post.
EstherWheat on 7/11/2013(UTC)
DanaPhillips Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:21:40 PM(UTC)
DanaPhillips

Was thanked: 214 time(s) in 133 post(s)
My Mom does crafts at an adult daycare and she always has me come up with the craft for her. Some of the things that we have done are bookmarks, cards, 3D pumpkins, coaster by stamping on inexpensive tiles, we saved cans and used tissue paper and mod podge to decorate and put flowers in them, painted flower pots with flowers cut with Cricut. We try to keep them fairly simple and easy for people with difficulty handling small things. I know we have done more, she goes every month, if I can remember I will come and post them.
 1 user thanked DanaPhillips for this useful post.
DanaPhillips Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:30:48 PM(UTC)
DanaPhillips

Here is a picture of the 3d pumpkins - they were super easy, and for the smaller ones I used a couple of old books so it was very inexpensive.

3D pumpkins
DanaPhillips Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:32:38 PM(UTC)
DanaPhillips

This was the flower pot - we did this last summer for the 4th of July:

Flower Pot
EstherWheat Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:02:54 AM(UTC)
EstherWheat

Thanks DanaPhillips for taking the time to find and post these pictures! I am excited to start working with these sweet people!
SAR Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 2:54:19 PM(UTC)
SAR

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Hi,
Love what you are doing! I think I would keep it very simple + add-ons in the beginning until you assess the level the residents can do-perhaps have a project that can be very simple, but also can be "upgraded" for those able to do more. I have a friend who recently moved into an older adult community (not a nursing home, but residential.) She attended a card class and was so offended by the instructor, who was patronizing-my friend feeling that was because of her age. I am just mentioning that because you may have a group of varying abilities.

I have worked with older adults for over 35 years (and am one myself now) in various settings. I love the idea to do door decorations-can be seasonal- and also the flower pots, etc. that could be used as centerpieces in the dining room.

I know someone else mentioned this too, but thought I would reinforce it. I have been working with older adults most recently in low income public housing. I am engaging them in doing crafts for charities and they are very responsive to this! I like the card idea a lot; our children's hospital likes to get handmade cards for the children to SEND out...birthday for their families, Christmas, Mother's and Father's Day, etc.which really is great if the product is not at the level that you'd want to donate it someplace to sell, or for soldiers to send home, etc.
I hope this works out very well for you and the group!
It is great that you recognize that the nursing home residents still have the need and ability to be creative!
Suzanne
 1 user thanked SAR for this useful post.