Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Kazalah Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2013 5:46:34 AM(UTC)
Kazalah

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Ok... I'm not a big stamper. I love them.. they are beautiful BUT.... they never come out right for me. However, it doesn't stop me from tryingSmile . So, my question is... what do you do , or can you do to not have your stamps stain? Are certain inks better than others? Does it matter whether is a rubber of an acrylic stamp? do you "treat" your stamps first? Any help would be greatly appreciated Smile

Lori
 2 users thanked Kazalah for this useful post.
Merrie Jones on 7/5/2013(UTC), BJR on 7/5/2013(UTC)
MamaC Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2013 6:01:23 AM(UTC)
MamaC

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 1540 time(s) in 640 post(s)
I have more rubber and acrylic stamps than common sense!!LOL

I am not a 'stamp purest'...I don't have a problem with staining. I have found that dye inks that dry quickly will stain a stamp, whether it is acrylic or rubber. I keep baby wipes near me when I am stamping to remove as much of the ink as possible, as quickly as possible. But that doesn't work to prevent staining.

To prevent staining of stamps, I would suggest using pigment ink. This ink dries slower and can be cleaned from the surface of the stamp with baby wipes, stamp cleaner, or soap and dish detergent. This is the ink that is used for heat embossing.

For all my stamps, I use a toothbrush, dish detergent, and running water. I clean the stamp and then lay it on paper towels to dry.

When stamping at crops or events away from home, I have a large stamp cleaner pad. I use whatever stamp cleaner liquid that I have on hand. I spray the cleaner on one side of the stamp cleaner pad and scrub the stamp over the surface until it is wet, then rub in over the other side to dry it. Or...use baby wipes.

Some crafters will lightly sand the surface of the stamp before using. I have never done this, and I get great results. Here are few tips...
**Use a 'cushiony' surface to stamp on, such as a mouse pad, magazine, or purchased stamp pad
**Press straight down and pull straight up
**Be sure to load the stamp with ink, the more ink, the better image
**If you press real hard, you might get stray ink marks around the image, so practice first!
**I always make a 'first' image on scrap paper, then save this image for something later.

I am sure there are more great hints from our message board folks! Happy stamping!!
 3 users thanked MamaC for this useful post.
Merrie Jones on 7/5/2013(UTC), BJR on 7/5/2013(UTC), Kazalah on 7/5/2013(UTC)
Merrie Jones Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2013 6:06:43 AM(UTC)
Merrie Jones

Was thanked: 575 time(s) in 250 post(s)
Thanks for asking- and replying- to this question. I was in the same boat, wondering what was the best way to take care of stamps.Smile
 1 user thanked Merrie Jones for this useful post.
MamaC on 7/5/2013(UTC)
Missesdisney Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2013 7:05:17 AM(UTC)
Missesdisney

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
My stamps stain as well - and I am a CTMH consultant :) Some colors seem to stain and some don't. I clean my stamps immediately after stamping with CTMH stamp cleaner and the newer small stamp scrubber (this one has bristles instead of the flatter scrubby surface).

Look forward to hearing other responses too :)

Thanks

maria
 1 user thanked Missesdisney for this useful post.
Kazalah on 7/5/2013(UTC)
LindainWA Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2013 7:24:56 AM(UTC)
LindainWA

United States

Was thanked: 941 time(s) in 551 post(s)
I used to clean my stamps all the time but after taking classes by Tim Holtz, I just wipe them off to get the excess off. Tim does clean his stamps, just wipes them off. Mine do stain but so far, it has not effected the way the stamp works.

I stamp with a cushion for all my acrylics and unmounted wood stamps but if it is wood with a cushion mount, you don't need to use this.

I also sand my acrylics before using so that they pick up the ink better and don't leave spaces in my image (around the lines). I don't sand rubber as I don't seem to have that problem with them.

1 user thanked LindainWA for this useful post.
Kazalah on 7/5/2013(UTC)
craftingbowler Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2013 7:48:48 AM(UTC)
craftingbowler

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 167 post(s)
For cleaning my rubber stamps, I use Stazon stamp cleaner (especially if the ink is particularly difficult to remove). It really does an excellent job. I clean the stamp right after use. I use a regular stamp cleanser or a wet/dry cloth I keep on hand to clean the acrylic stamps. Sometimes I will use the stamp cleaning pad.

I like to use a mouse pad or something similar to place my paper on and then stamp. I get a cleaner image that way.

Edited by user Friday, July 05, 2013 7:50:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users thanked craftingbowler for this useful post.
BJR on 7/5/2013(UTC), Kazalah on 7/5/2013(UTC)
Calmom Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2013 12:25:25 PM(UTC)
Calmom

Was thanked: 2092 time(s) in 1068 post(s)
Remember, staining will not affect your stamping image as long as your stamp is clean. Staz-on is a automatic staining ink and many of your pigment inks will too.

I just use a baby wipe to clean my stamp. I try to stay away from the stamp cleaning solutions, they can be harsh on your stamps.

However, if my cling, clear rubber stamp does not stick well to the acrylic block, then I do watch the stamps with a mild dish soap.
 1 user thanked Calmom for this useful post.
Kazalah on 7/5/2013(UTC)
Kazalah Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2013 1:49:35 PM(UTC)
Kazalah

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Thank you ladies for all your replies Smile I know the staining doesn't effect the stamping process but I've bought stamps I've used once and then never again. I thought about selling them but because they were stained I didn't think anyone would want them Sad

Lori
joyfullycrafting Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2013 2:26:20 PM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1392 time(s) in 1102 post(s)
I am with everyone else. I don't worry about the staining. I have WAY too many stamps, but I LOVE them all.

For years I used Stampin' Up stamp cleaner, but now I make my own. Hmmm. It has simple green, glylcerin, and I can't remember what else. Water.

I found the recipe:

1 Cup Distilled water
2 tsp of Simple Green
1 tsp of Glycerin

You can also add a tiny bit of baby wash if you desire, like a tsp

1 user thanked joyfullycrafting for this useful post.
BJR on 7/6/2013(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully Offline
#10 Posted : Saturday, July 06, 2013 9:21:41 AM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

Was thanked: 799 time(s) in 449 post(s)
I have bought used stamp sets that are stained. I have no problem with it, as long as you advertise them as "gently used" or "stained but not damaged" or "used once, some may be stained", something like that. Just don't lead a buyer to believe that they are getting new stamps when they aren't. Those of us who stamp know sometimes staining can't be avoided!BigGrin
Calmom Offline
#11 Posted : Saturday, July 06, 2013 11:26:04 AM(UTC)
Calmom

Was thanked: 2092 time(s) in 1068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kazalah Go to Quoted Post
Thank you ladies for all your replies Smile I know the staining doesn't effect the stamping process but I've bought stamps I've used once and then never again. I thought about selling them but because they were stained I didn't think anyone would want them Sad

Lori

A real stamper won't mind but a amateur might. Of course, if someone is buying them as a gift, then they would want them unstained. I have sold thousands of stamps stained.