Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

RRN30 Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:19:22 PM(UTC)
RRN30

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hello,

I've never really posted on here, more of a lurker. ;) I've recently renewed my interest in scrap booking- I actually have some spare time! LOL I've bought a few fun cartridges lately too. I just got First Few Years and it looks awesome. :) My problem is that I only have the personal cutter :/ All the measurements in the book are for a 12x12 layout. Does anyone have experience with cutting for a smaller layout? Of course I'm hoping for one of the larger machines (suggestions welcome!) for my birthday in October, but in the meantime...

I'm going to make my cousin a small "ready to go" scrapbook for her baby shower. :) Now that my boys are 7 & 3 , maybe I can find the time to make their baby scrapbooks as well. ;) TIA
bethdoc Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:57:48 PM(UTC)
bethdoc

United States

Was thanked: 1184 time(s) in 798 post(s)
I assume by smaller layout, you want to do 8x11.5 or 8x8? If you use Cricut craftroom, or a gypsy if you have it, you can figure out the sizes by trial and error. If you don't want to hook up your cricut, it would at least let you figure out what size to cut the images at. Just make an 8x8 grid on the mat page, and shrink the images to fit how you like. Then either cut the CCR/gypsy file, or just write down the sizes and cut off the cartridges.
scrappymom Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:58:44 PM(UTC)
scrappymom

Was thanked: 295 time(s) in 235 post(s)
I kind of looked over When I was young (I think that is the name of the other cart, which is the same concept as First few years and here is how I understood it to work. There are recommended sizes to cut each part of the layout and then you piece them together to form the 12 x 12 LO. So some of the pieces are only a couple inches, which you can cut on the personal. Once you cut all the pieces you then place them together. The only time you may have a problem is if something needed to be cut much larger than 6 x 12. I don't remember seeing anything like that when I was looking over the handbook. I hope that makes sense.
Scrapperdee Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2013 6:55:09 AM(UTC)
Scrapperdee

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
Canada

Was thanked: 4074 time(s) in 2335 post(s)
I see your dilemna - something that should fit on 12x12...even if is small enough to cut on the bug, most likely will be proportionately too large for the small scrapbook pages.

I agree that going into CCR and sizing the pieces so they look proportionately good on your paper size would work. I wonder if you find that size for 1...if the same size would work for the rest of them somehow?

For example...if it fits nicely at dial size 1.5 inches...then cut everything at 1.5 inches? I don't have either of those carts, so this is just a thought.

Edited by user Thursday, June 13, 2013 6:55:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

joyfullycrafting Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2013 9:22:14 AM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1392 time(s) in 1102 post(s)
I know what you are saying! I very seldom do 12x12 scrapbook pages, so I will just go by trial and error when I start using this great cartridge. Maybe you could just experiment with ugly paper or cheap cardstock with cuts until you know what your machine will cut, and what will fit your project. I frequently do that.
jillieneIsaacs Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2013 9:44:22 AM(UTC)
jillieneIsaacs

Was thanked: 225 time(s) in 83 post(s)
It seems like you could create the layout digitally (CCR, GYPSY, or DS), then weld everything together, then shrink the 12 x 12 into 8x8, then unweld and cut individually.
Sunflowerbuggy Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2013 11:28:31 PM(UTC)
Sunflowerbuggy

United States

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)
My first machine was a 6X12 format and I did LOTS of trial and error(mostly error,lol) I used and still do use notebook paper or cheap copy paper. Less wear and tear on your blade. Also I've found for letters I cut 3/4" to 1 1/2" for most titles. Sometimes I go bigger,it depends Smile I don't have this cart yet and just today I was out looking for it....they were all out at Michaels Sad Hope to see some great LO's and stuff with it.
CricketCMV Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:51:50 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 7600 time(s) in 4449 post(s)
Do you have an option to "fit to page" on your machine? I doubt if this will work for you....but, perhaps PC takes this into consideration for those who own the smaller machines and allows you to "fit to page" on all images. I don't really think this is true, but it's worth a try.

Char