Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Demention Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:40:40 AM(UTC)
Demention

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I am planning to move in the next few months to the beautiful island of Oahu, and I am wondering if anyone out there has any experience with moving their craft area that far. I am a paper hog and I have a ton of stuff. I am half considering selling the majority of what I have and just rebuying as I need it once I am settled into my new place.

Which is the better approach? Selling and buying new or just moving?

Anyone out there live in Hawaii? I vacationed out there and feel in love which is why the plan to move.. Just wondering what life is like on an Island...
Leahdax Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:13:45 AM(UTC)
Leahdax

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 354 time(s) in 253 post(s)
WOW! Moving to Hawaii! I've never even been there. But I have watched HGTV International a few times when people were moving there. From what I can remember, alot of houses came furnished because moving your own stuff over was very expensive. So, moving lots of paper might be kinda pricey. Check to see how much it will cost to take your stuff with you. Also check to see how easy it will be to replace stuff once you get out there. You might have to pay high shipping costs if craft stores are in short supply. You might come out better taking your stuff with you.

Let us know what you decide to do.
diann2000 Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:51:55 AM(UTC)
diann2000

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 988 time(s) in 874 post(s)
I would check to make sure there are stores to buy supplies from before deciding to not pack something. Also I hear prices are higher there for supplies because of the cost of getting them there. How exciting for you!! Good Luck with your move!
Selena Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 1:05:30 PM(UTC)
Selena

Was thanked: 380 time(s) in 305 post(s)
I lived there when I was younger because my dad was stationed there. I remember my parents saying how expensive the cost of living was. I think there's a few message board members on here in Hawaii and they have to order a lot of their items. I would take my stuff with me if I were you...I love my stuff lol LOL
Godot's Girl Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:57:18 PM(UTC)
Godot's Girl

United States
Location: Too far from the farm! MQ pg.13, #388; Circle MQ pg. 4, #98

Was thanked: 2387 time(s) in 1502 post(s)
You should PM P.S. She lives in Hawaii. She is a great person, and I am sure would be very helpful. I hope all goes well for you. Blessings, GG.
married05 Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 3:14:16 PM(UTC)
married05

Was thanked: 232 time(s) in 198 post(s)
I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to with you well! Hubby and I were married in Honolulu and we both dream of going back someday. We talked of moving - I even looked into teaching salaries for me. It just didn't work out for us. Maybe when I retire.... I don't even want to think about how long before that will be! Good luck!
Doodlebugs Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 5:43:03 PM(UTC)
Doodlebugs

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Interesting you say this, our friends had 2 homes one in WA state one in AZ they sold the WA recently and moved to AZ and just yesterday had a POD delivered to their AZ home because in less then 2 weeks they are moving to Oahu she gave tons away she is not a crafter per say however she does paint but the cost to move is huge to have stuff shipped it probably would make sense to just buy new unless it is things like retired carts or items you can not buy anywhere
DeeDee87 Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:25:49 PM(UTC)
DeeDee87

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 472 time(s) in 188 post(s)
I don't have any advice for you in regards to the moving situation, but I just wanted to say congrats on the move! It's such a beautiful place.
LisaDePugh Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 8:45:03 AM(UTC)
LisaDePugh

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 215 post(s)
I was there in 1998. It is an amazing place. Congratulations! If it were me, I'd take as much stuff with me as possible but do some purging in the process. I like someone's idea of finding out how readily available supplies are before you make a decision regarding paper & such. I know it's heavy and will cost a good bit to ship, but if you can't get it there easily and have to have it shipped in you're going to be paying for it anyway.
joyfullycrafting Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:36:57 AM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1391 time(s) in 1101 post(s)
YAY! I love warm. Went on a cruise to Hawaii in January. It was below 0 at home, and balmy in Hawaii!

If it is paper packs you own, get rid of the ugly paper, oops, I mean paper that you won't ever use, and keep the cute paper! BigGrin

I am having a hunch that paper and supplies will be readily available.
kim.mom Offline
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 8:43:17 PM(UTC)
kim.mom

Was thanked: 145 time(s) in 123 post(s)
I'm on Oahu and I order a lot online. We don't have HL, Michaels, JoAnns or any of those big stores. Lots of the smaller stores have closed. I brought lots of craft stuff with me. I just packed it in lots of plastic bins and such. No problems getting here. You will love it here...the hardest part is finding time to craft because you want to be outside year round ... Lol . I'll be glad to help you out if you need anything or have questions.
sharibear Offline
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 8:57:13 PM(UTC)
sharibear

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 85 post(s)
congrats hun ,,,,wish i could hide in your stuff and go with you i have never been thereLOL LOL LOL LOL LOL if you do decide to sell some i know we all can help you out by buying it LOL LOL Love Love
dorichatelain44314a80 Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:42:53 PM(UTC)
dorichatelain44314a80

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 115 post(s)
I haven't been to Hawaii but my daughters (20) dad moved over there 7 years ago and he didn't take anythign with him but his clothes and some person items. each year he comes back to oregon and he takes more stuff with him. He did end up shipping a motor cycle over there a couple summers ago. and His big rolling tools box. with all his tools. He found out that the money he had paid for his tools and tool box here plus the cost of shipping was major amount of money less than it would be to rebuy everything over there. So there are good and bad things about living there. The cost of living is lots more over there then here. If I was you I would research it before you decide to sell and rebuy everything.

Good luck... I would think that you could include all your scrapping supplies in with your household stuff. I was just on a freight shipping website and they ship buy the size of house and weight. So if you have a 4 bedroom house and the weight is 12,000 pounds of less. etc...

Good luck