Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Bugsy2 Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 11:40:14 AM(UTC)
Bugsy2

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 441 time(s) in 311 post(s)
I've been battling some wrist pain and numbness in the fingertips for a couple of months. Some days were good.. some not so good. I'm afraid to get it checked out (I've had several people tell me that it sounds like carpal tunnel). I am freaked out by the possibility of surgery, since I've had some have said that sometimes the surgery doesn't work, or it leaves you worse off than before. In any case, I've been having more good days than bad days, and have decided to get back to using the Cricut.

I would like to show you the projects I have done. No I didn't use the Cricut but I wanted to show you what prompted me to finally get back in the game..so to speak. These are the cakes that I made for Easter.
Bugsy2 attached the following image(s):
Happy Easter.jpg
Easter Cake.jpg
 2 users thanked Bugsy2 for this useful post.
rhondah* on 4/23/2013(UTC), garagesaler on 4/23/2013(UTC)
Godot's Girl Online
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 11:53:01 AM(UTC)
Godot's Girl

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States
Location: Too far from the farm! MQ pg.13, #388; Circle MQ pg. 4, #98

Was thanked: 2438 time(s) in 1525 post(s)
So sorry you are in pain. My Mom had the surgery about 10 years ago, and it worked really well for her. She had to have both wrists done, and has had no problems since. I think it is like back surgery....either it totally works, OR, it totally doesn't, so I understand your hesitation. Now, back to your cakes......SO CUTE! Glad you are back, and are creating again. TFS! GG
MaryStillman Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 12:53:25 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 1210 time(s) in 763 post(s)
Those are adorable!

Hope your wrist gets better and you don't need surgery!

Mary
CricketCMV Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:03:31 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 7600 time(s) in 4449 post(s)
I never like the word "surgery". Perhaps your doctor can suggest some exercises to help you through the pain. I was having a lot of pain in both shoulders last spring and was told I might need surgery on one of them; asked the surgeon if he could please send me to our local hospital (that has a Physical Therapy unit) to learn some exercises (if he thought they might help me) to see if I could help myself. He did that. After about a couple of months, ALL the pain I had for five years left me. I also was told at the time I had bone on bone in my lower back, which was also killing me at the same time my shoulders were giving me problems. THE back pain went away, too.

I have not had problems with either of my shoulders or my back since.

So, maybe there might be another alternative for you if you do, in fact, have carpal tunnel.

Char
Bugsy2 Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 5:01:31 PM(UTC)
Bugsy2

Was thanked: 441 time(s) in 311 post(s)
Thanks everyone!!!!

CricketCMV, I'll definitely check out physical therapy. I'm willing to try anything...I'll just keep surgery as a last resort.
 1 user thanked Bugsy2 for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 4/23/2013(UTC)
MarleneO Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:17:09 PM(UTC)
MarleneO

United States

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 79 post(s)
A number of years ago I had carpal tunnel in both wrists, I did not have surgery, I wore braces, which you can buy at the pharmacy, on my wrists at night and did exercises during the day, after awhile I improved greatly and have not had a problem since. Hopefully you can look into some alternate ideas other than surgery and I hope they work for you.
rhondah* Online
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:34:04 PM(UTC)
rhondah*

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 12400 time(s) in 8270 post(s)
Feel better soon! Fabulous project. Welcome back!
maria2193 Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:50:53 PM(UTC)
maria2193

Was thanked: 114 time(s) in 110 post(s)
I would get it checked out.. You may have a crushed disc or two. My sister had it, she had no feeling in three of her fingers and a shooting pain down her arm. Not saying that that's what I think you have. Just think you should have it looked at and rule out anything more serious.

Feel better soon!
Smile Maria
 1 user thanked maria2193 for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 4/24/2013(UTC)
LazyBee Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:53:57 AM(UTC)
LazyBee

United States

Was thanked: 637 time(s) in 304 post(s)
I had the surgery on both hands about 20 years ago. The one thing I did do was get the best hand surgeon I could find. We did every conservative measure before surgery. It went well and while I occassionally have a flare-up because of over doing, I still do some of the exercises. The one thing I learned from this was that pain is an indication of a problem...in part over use or something systemically...and the tingling and numbness was the least of my worries because I also had developed sever tendonitis. Rest if you can, stretch, take frequent breaks, check your posture when you sit at a keyborad or craft. These all are things that contribute to whatever is going on...but the main thing you should do is make an appointment and see a good orthopedist or nuerologist who is very familar with carpal tunnel and have it checked out. You won't really know what is going on until you do. It could be something else or it could be something very simple to correct. The quickest way to healing is to find out what you are battling.
Cricutmimi,Stephanie Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:33:05 AM(UTC)
Cricutmimi,Stephanie

United States

Was thanked: 482 time(s) in 365 post(s)
Your cake is fabulous.
Surgery:
I had carpal tunnel surgery last July. At first It was painful. But I went to therapy and it helped tremendously. Once the swelling went down I had no more numbness. Now you can't even see where I was cut. I still need to do my left hand. First you should see a DR. and have the nerve damage tests run. My damage was too far gone for the exercise and wrist braces to help. The reason I haven't done the left hand is I had to have surgery on my right rotator cuff on October first. Good luck.
CricketCMV Offline
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:01:36 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 7600 time(s) in 4449 post(s)
I meant to tell you your cakes were really cute, too. - Char
GrammySue Offline
#12 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:09:15 PM(UTC)
GrammySue

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bugsy2 Go to Quoted Post
I've been battling some wrist pain and numbness in the fingertips for a couple of months. Some days were good.. some not so good. I'm afraid to get it checked out (I've had several people tell me that it sounds like carpal tunnel). I am freaked out by the possibility of surgery, since I've had some have said that sometimes the surgery doesn't work, or it leaves you worse off than before. In any case, I've been having more good days than bad days, and have decided to get back to using the Cricut.

I would like to show you the projects I have done. No I didn't use the Cricut but I wanted to show you what prompted me to finally get back in the game..so to speak. These are the cakes that I made for Easter.

Have you been to a good Chiropractor. Mine has really helped me. I know they can do wonders with the Carpal Tunnel. If it isn't that they might know what it is. I have the best chiropractor he has helped me with so many things. They don't do surgery just work on the problem nerves, muscles, joints, bones. I like to go to the ones that are not so aggressive. I don't like to be popped really hard. Mine works a lot on my muscles and nerves. Mostly just stretching the area. It is just a thought.

Good luck. I hope you find help.