Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

~JD~ Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:58:04 PM(UTC)
~JD~

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1150 time(s) in 894 post(s)
I went & sent off a few of my Easter cards I made & a couple of them had a few lumps & bumps from embellishments. I figured I better have them weighed because of the lumps & bumps, even though it wasn't anything huge sticking up from the envelope, just tiny beads, but still I had them weighed. They weren't over the weight limit for a basic stamp but they were "odd shaped" as the postal worker said.
One was a A2 size & the other couple were 5x7. Each card cost 69 cents. I'm not complaining about the cost, just glad I didn't just stick a stamp on it & throw it in the mailbox.

My uncle did get a square card from me about a year ago & the mailman knocked on his door & asked him for money for the extra postage the card required, I felt sort of bad about that one.

So, I think from now on I will make sure my cards to be mailed are flat, flat as can be LOL. Otherwise I will have to have them weighed & felt by the postal worker. Blushing Blink Glare

Hope everyone has a Happy Easter............

Janis
 1 user thanked ~JD~ for this useful post.
Annabella on 3/27/2013(UTC)
Leanner Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:22:12 PM(UTC)
Leanner

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 1478 time(s) in 1089 post(s)
I just buy the stamps for the extra postage to be safe because I can't seem to resist making mine lumpyWink
CowgirlUp Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:27:42 PM(UTC)
CowgirlUp

United States

Was thanked: 868 time(s) in 706 post(s)
The sad thing is this upcharge is totally up to the mail person working. I could mail two completely identical cards take one to one person and they won't charge it take the other to someone else and they will charge it.

One of the ways around this is to add an extra piece of light weight/cheap cardstock over the bumpy side but be careful its not over weight then.
lv2scrap02 Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:21:13 PM(UTC)
lv2scrap02

United States

Was thanked: 1229 time(s) in 952 post(s)
For my DD Baby Shower I mailed out 50 Square Cards large and some came back for extra postage and the others went thru
joyfullycrafting Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:24:59 PM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1391 time(s) in 1101 post(s)
A couple of years ago I used foam dots on my cards, and when I went to mail them, the lady at the PO told me it would cost extra. I came home, carefully opened the envelopes, took the cards apart and remade them. 60 of them. There was no way I could pay extra postage for that many cards.
EnableMeForever Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:25:04 PM(UTC)
EnableMeForever

Was thanked: 160 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Thanks for the warning! Since most of my cards go through the mail, I've started trying to keep them as flat as possible. It is sad sometimes when all I really want to do is embellish!
jerylm Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 11:31:12 PM(UTC)
jerylm

Location: Idaho via Washington via Florida via Hawaii via Oregon

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
If you go to the USPS site you can get a list of restrictions. Please understand that many things put on cards or in envelopes get stuck in the hundreds of moving parts and can destroy other pieces of mail besides your own. If you aren't sure please check with the best clerk at the window. We can't catch every piece that looks non- machinable in the plants but we try. Just yesterday we had a decorative spoon go through. This could cause our machine to be down for hours or fly out at an employee. I still am amazed at the number of pens and keys that people throw in an envelope!
lighthouselover Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:45:02 AM(UTC)
lighthouselover

United States

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 110 post(s)
I'm real surprised in the price. There is not a 69 cent price. If your cards went through the slot on the template they would cost 66 cents. If they didn't go through the slot they would cost $2.07.

But, it is so much better to pay the extra than have your creation torn up in the machine and the other ones in the vicinity.

Jooniper Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 1:20:47 PM(UTC)
Jooniper

Was thanked: 802 time(s) in 578 post(s)
Today is the first time I have ever mailed one of my cards. I put it in a 6x9 bubble mailer and printed the postage online. My card weighed 1.4oz and I put it to weigh 3oz. It cost me $1.69 for a 1st Class package or thick envelope. The card was going all the way to the West coast from a Southern state.

The price to ship it was a bargin to me, because where else am I going to buy a Unicorn farting a rainbow card at for a $1.69? LOL I mean I already bought the supplies just because I wanted them, so no money lost there. I just see my card costing me $1.69 to brighten someone's crappy day/week/month. Which seems pretty cheap to me. Wink
 4 users thanked Jooniper for this useful post.
gma on 3/27/2013(UTC), Leanner on 3/27/2013(UTC), Dragonfly50 on 3/28/2013(UTC), joyfullycrafting on 3/28/2013(UTC)
~JD~ Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 1:27:06 PM(UTC)
~JD~

United States

Originally Posted by: Jooniper Go to Quoted Post
Today is the first time I have ever mailed one of my cards. I put it in a 6x9 bubble mailer and printed the postage online. My card weighed 1.4oz and I put it to weigh 3oz. It cost me $1.69 for a 1st Class package or thick envelope. The card was going all the way to the West coast from a Southern state.

The price to ship it was a bargin to me, because where else am I going to buy a Unicorn farting a rainbow card at for a $1.69? LOL I mean I already bought the supplies just because I wanted them, so no money lost there. I just see my card costing me $1.69 to brighten someone's crappy day/week/month. Which seems pretty cheap to me. Wink

I agree with you & I wasn't complaining about the cost of the cards I sent. I was trying to be sure nobody just put a basic stamp on their card & expect it to be enough. kwim? Smile
I've done just that & as I said my uncle had to give the mailman an extra 8 cents or something like that LOL.
Do you have a pic. of your farting unicorn rainbow card?
Jooniper Offline
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 1:44:17 PM(UTC)
Jooniper

Oh! I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought ya'll were complaining. I'm sorry. I was just justifying $1.69 in postage. LOL Postage is very expensive now and days and even more since the recent price increase. I hardly mail anything because of the cost.
Jooniper Offline
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 1:46:28 PM(UTC)
Jooniper

~JD~ Offline
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:22:28 PM(UTC)
~JD~

United States

Wow! I love your card!!! Wink I bet your sister will love it for sure....That rainbow is awesome.

Janis
Dragonfly50 Offline
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:38:29 AM(UTC)
Dragonfly50

United States

Was thanked: 1219 time(s) in 728 post(s)

This has me rolling on the floor. tee hee hee.

Seriously this is why I always make most of my card flat.
That way my co-workers can send them through the mail and so can I.

D-

Edited by user Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:39:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified