Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

LindaBelchuk Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 12:08:54 PM(UTC)
LindaBelchuk

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 166 post(s)
Hi ladies...I've been asked to do a "card making" session for a group of girl guides...I believe they are between the ages of 12-17 and there's maybe 12 in the group...has anyone did this before? I'm just wondering if I cut all the stuff out first and then give it to them, do I make 2 different ideas for a card or just one .. it would be for a Mother's Day card...if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanking you in advance.
patv Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 2:19:52 PM(UTC)
patv

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 61 post(s)
I would make a sample, and cut all the pieces. put all pieces for each card in a small ziplock bag, one bag makes one card. if you do 2 cards make the first one simple so they get a feel for making a card and then you can make the 2nd card a bit more complicated. make extras because someone will make a mistake and have to redo things.
 1 user thanked patv for this useful post.
sincitychix on 3/15/2013(UTC)
sincitychix Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 4:19:00 PM(UTC)
sincitychix

Was thanked: 468 time(s) in 211 post(s)
Originally Posted by: patv Go to Quoted Post
I would make a sample, and cut all the pieces. put all pieces for each card in a small ziplock bag, one bag makes one card. if you do 2 cards make the first one simple so they get a feel for making a card and then you can make the 2nd card a bit more complicated. make extras because someone will make a mistake and have to redo things.

I agree with patv. I have done this for my friend for the kids in her class. She is a special ed teacher and the parents really loved getting a handmade card from their child. We made it really simple with larger shapes and helped them with the glue, glitter, etc.

Have fun!
Jen
Godot's Girl Online
#4 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 5:07:34 PM(UTC)
Godot's Girl

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States
Location: Too far from the farm! MQ pg.13, #388; Circle MQ pg. 4, #98

Was thanked: 2418 time(s) in 1513 post(s)
Agree with all that has been said, particularly if this is your first time teaching a card class to teens. I teach classes to children at my church for ages 5-18. For the youngest, I have everything cut out , ready to go, with samples and extras, and a very easy image to put together. The middle group gets the same treatment, but with a more complicated image. For the high schoolers, I have all the pieces cut out, but they put them together, and I use images with at least 4 layers. We usually do 2 cards in each group, based on a theme, with a Bible verse that I teach a small lesson on. It takes the youngest and the middle groups the entire time to do those cards, with some not finishing. With the high schoolers, I always bring my extra cuts I have in binders from various swaps, so they can make their own cards after completing the 2 planned ones. I also have taught them how to use my machine, so they are free to make their own cuts, with supervision. I sometimes do this with the 2 other groups as well, though they require a great deal of supervision.

The most important thing is to remember to HAVE FUN! You are passing on a gift and a tradition to these young people. Let them be creative, Don't be uptight about having the card turn out just like your sample. Some of the best cards from my classes look nothing like that with which I started. Good luck! Blessings, GG.