Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

CricketCMV Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:55:35 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 7594 time(s) in 4447 post(s)
I have noticed this for quite a while........HOW MANY OF YOU WOULD BUY THESE?

I wouldn't pay a plug nickel for any of them!!

Both these stores are hanging them in the middle of their packs on nails.....I think if they would use three nails across, maybe they wouldn't buckle?

AND/or, maybe they are buckling because we all (at least I do) like to flip through all the papers to look at them (although, I do try to be careful and probably most of us are very careful) and maybe we're causing this malady!!??

BUT, I think it's mostly because they're hanging.

I waited in line to get to a cashier.....and told her I thought they were shooting themselves in the foot, because I wouldn't pay anything for the BEST sale they ever had on them (I don't think anything will flatten them back to normal)....not even a plug nickel. I told her I basically made cards and I didn't think most scrapbookers would want them either....she said she was a scrapbooker.

She seemed to listen and I'm hoping she'll take it to heart and that they'll do something about it. (I was at Michael's....didn't think to tell them this when I was at Joann's earlier).

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK? Does it bother you at all?

Char

Edited by user Friday, March 15, 2013 6:51:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Clammdunc Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:03:20 PM(UTC)
Clammdunc

Was thanked: 274 time(s) in 251 post(s)
I passed on purchasing a stack at J's a week or so ago for this very reason. I didn't want to take a chance on it not staightening out. My DH has been ragging about this for over a year now. He goes shopping with me and when I'm looking at the stacks he chimes in. The stack I wanted to buy was curled on both lower corners as if it had been exposed to moisture. I won't buy them unless they are flat.
 1 user thanked Clammdunc for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 3/14/2013(UTC)
LindainWA Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:07:44 PM(UTC)
LindainWA

United States

Was thanked: 941 time(s) in 551 post(s)
If you notice it is mostly the DCWV stacks that do that. I think it is the paper itself and not how it's displayed. I know when I used to buy their stacks alot, the always buckled after a time not matter how I stored them. I no longer buy DCWV paper for that very reason. They have fantastic designs but the paper quality is not up to what I want on my pages.

1 user thanked LindainWA for this useful post.
allornunn1ebc38201 Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:35:03 PM(UTC)
allornunn1ebc38201

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 14 post(s)
the michaels i shop at must just be very well kept, their stacks are always nicely flat and i myself look thru them but i just cant see buying them when i only like one or two of the patterns but i do buy their cardstock like crazy, joanns and hobby lobbys cardstock holds no bar against theirs, i have to use the deep cut housing and blade in my cricuts but its so worth the quality and i love all the fun patterns they are putting out now especially the animal stripes and cupcakes, so cuteLove

so no i wouldnt buy the stack books
 1 user thanked allornunn1ebc38201 for this useful post.
Godot's Girl Online
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:06:34 PM(UTC)
Godot's Girl

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States
Location: Too far from the farm! MQ pg.13, #388; Circle MQ pg. 4, #98

Was thanked: 2419 time(s) in 1513 post(s)
My J's hangs their paper as well, and I won't buy it. All the paper buckles, DCWV, K&CO, etc. I have spoken to the manager three times about this, explaining how once the paper is bowed, it does not always flatten out, and that the proper way to store the paper is flat. She did not seem to care. She said they were trying to fit more merchandise on their shelves. I told her I doubted anyone who knew anything about paper would actually purchase the bent and bowed stacks. She just shrugged and said, "oh well". My M's has always stored their stacks flat, but I did see some hanging when I was in there today. I hope they are not going to the hanging system. I buy their Recollections paper the most, as it cuts the best in my machine. Now, my HL has also always stored their paper flat, and their manager said they had no intention of changing that when I asked about that very thing today. GG
 1 user thanked Godot's Girl for this useful post.
Calmom Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:32:58 AM(UTC)
Calmom

Was thanked: 2092 time(s) in 1068 post(s)
All of the Michaels and Joanns in San Diego have them lying down not hanging up. I have bought them for years and never had a problem.

Sorry you all had problems with them.
 1 user thanked Calmom for this useful post.
Cassie Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:46:06 AM(UTC)
Cassie

United States

Was thanked: 308 time(s) in 251 post(s)
My Ms and Js have always stored their paper flat. I have never had an issue with the paper buckling. Lately though, both stores do have a few hanging, but you can still find a few of the hanging ones on the shelves laying flat too. Come to think of it, HL and ACM has paper stacks flat as well.
 1 user thanked Cassie for this useful post.
jscraftylady Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:07:58 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Was thanked: 2026 time(s) in 1103 post(s)
It doesn't really bother me. I rarely use an entire 12x12 sheet of patterned paper so if a corner here or there is bent I just won't use that part.

The DCWV stacks do buckle badly even when lying flat. I keep all my stacks lying flat at home but over time the sheets with "treatments" do buckle. I believe it is likely the adhesive used to keep down the glitter, foil, flocking, etc., that causes this.
 1 user thanked jscraftylady for this useful post.
CricketCMV Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:09:49 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: LindainWA Go to Quoted Post
If you notice it is mostly the DCWV stacks that do that. I think it is the paper itself and not how it's displayed. I know when I used to buy their stacks alot, the always buckled after a time not matter how I stored them. I no longer buy DCWV paper for that very reason. They have fantastic designs but the paper quality is not up to what I want on my pages.

I have around 36 paper stacks.....in three stacks, so there are approx. 12 in each stack. 95% Of these stacks are DCWV. NONE OF THEM HAVE BUCKLED. Of course, when I do buy a stack, I buy one that is flat.

So, needless to say, I love the DCWV stacks.

I like the crazy papers, as I usually take those to make my card (the folds of a card) and then add the embellishments to make them look totally different (as well as embossing). Since they are folded in half and then in half again, it creates a perfect stability for most of my cards. I do cut off one end, as I don't like them exactly square. I have some left over to use in other parts of the card and do this most of the time. I SIMPLY LOVE THE PAPERS.

That's my take on DCWV stacks. NONE OF THEM HAVE BUCKLED.

I don't know where you live, Linda...just wondered if you live in high humidity area? Now, all my papers are in even-controlled environment year-round, so that could make a difference, I believe. Unless you also have even-controlled environment year-round...then, that shoots that theory all to pieces. LOL.

Char

CricketCMV Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:13:03 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: jscraftylady Go to Quoted Post
It doesn't really bother me. I rarely use an entire 12x12 sheet of patterned paper so if a corner here or there is bent I just won't use that part.

The DCWV stacks do buckle badly even when lying flat. I keep all my stacks lying flat at home but over time the sheets with "treatments" do buckle. I believe it is likely the adhesive used to keep down the glitter, foil, flocking, etc., that causes this.

The few stacks I have that are glitter-treated and/or the shiney-rubbery-treated ones (love some of these papers and I do love how they cut in the machines) have not buckled. Some of my papers I've had for up to three or four years. I usually do sell them off after a couple of years at a yard sale (when I have one every few years). They are still flat when I sell them. They well really good, too.

Those stacks have not buckled for me, either.

Char
SouthernVintage Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:21:38 AM(UTC)
SouthernVintage

United States

Was thanked: 800 time(s) in 712 post(s)
Sorry this is happening (and I probably wouldn't buy them that way either). Luckily, the Joanns, both Michaels and ACMoore stores near me have them on shelves or racks where they're lying down flat. I always thought that took up a lot of shelf space, but maybe this is the reason why.BigGrin I have a large stack of DCWV stacks beside and behind me right now and all are flat...no buckling. The ones behind me are actually standing up against a futon and have been for months with no buckling. I really do need to find a better storage spot though.

Edited by user Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:28:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked SouthernVintage for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 3/15/2013(UTC)
Annabella Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:53:04 PM(UTC)
Annabella

United States

Was thanked: 624 time(s) in 509 post(s)

My J's & M's has them hanging and standing up. If I buy any I take from the bottom of the stack, one with both of the stickers holdong them shut.

Since we are on the subject of DCWV, I have another issue:

1) the paper stinks. It takes a week of two to get the smell out of it.

2) The paper has a coating on it...I guess that's it. You would not be able to stamp directly on the paper is almost like a shiney coating. I don't seem to have any of the last two or three years paper with it. Can someone explain to me what is going on with that? I know it is with the kids birthday 12x12 and for sure on the Blue Solstice. Does this cause anyone problems??
 1 user thanked Annabella for this useful post.
CowgirlUp Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:31:35 PM(UTC)
CowgirlUp

United States

Was thanked: 868 time(s) in 706 post(s)
I haven't noticed they are buckling around here. both J's and M's around here store them either standing, flat or hanging and none seem to have a problem. Could be it be the humidity level in the store/store room?

Annabella-They have released some (like the birthday stack) that have a coating on them, but not all are this way. its to give it a shiny affect but not all stacks are this way, if stamping on it is that big of a selling point to you I would suggest checking them out in the store and feel if the pages have the shine to them or not. Can't help with the smell. I've only ever noticed it on the old glitter pages. the new ones don't have that smell.
 1 user thanked CowgirlUp for this useful post.
mickeydee Offline
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:24:17 PM(UTC)
mickeydee

United States

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 171 post(s)
My dh made a comment about that today. We were in J's and they had stacks standing up and leaning against the back of the display and they were buckled. He is in retail and noticed right away that they should be flat.
 1 user thanked mickeydee for this useful post.
CricketCMV Offline
#15 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 7:52:39 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: Annabella Go to Quoted Post
My J's & M's has them hanging and standing up. If I buy any I take from the bottom of the stack, one with both of the stickers holdong them shut.

Since we are on the subject of DCWV, I have another issue:

1) the paper stinks. It takes a week of two to get the smell out of it.

2) The paper has a coating on it...I guess that's it. You would not be able to stamp directly on the paper is almost like a shiney coating. I don't seem to have any of the last two or three years paper with it. Can someone explain to me what is going on with that? I know it is with the kids birthday 12x12 and for sure on the Blue Solstice. Does this cause anyone problems??

The smell doesn't bother me.....and, I have very sensitive taste/smell buds! LOL. BUT, I also like the smell of skunk (fresh spray....not the pungent odors, of course)!

I think it is only on those treated papers and we shouldn't expect to be able to stamp on those...well, I think you could and maybe apply a little heat to dry them. Not sure if that's wise to do, though. You would want to be very careful not to catch on fire.

I try to print on my plastics, too.....and I very well know it's probably not going to turn out too good. I'm working on that, though. I love the look and am trying to figure that one out.

There are only a select few that they treat this way, though. I think the rest of their stacks are just regular acid-free papers. I've seen the others and love them, but I only have a few and do keep them on the bottom of my stack piles. They have never offered to buckle.

Char

CricketCMV Offline
#16 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 7:56:53 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: mickeydee Go to Quoted Post
My dh made a comment about that today. We were in J's and they had stacks standing up and leaning against the back of the display and they were buckled. He is in retail and noticed right away that they should be flat.

Oh....I was wondering why your DH would even care! LOL. Mine doesn't. He would NEVER notice something like that because he doesn't care!!! But, after further explanation I do see why your DH would definitely notice....it's his business to care.

I can't believe the managers themselves aren't seeing what these stacks are doing and taking fast measures to correct the problem. I mean, it doesn't even matter that these are JUST paper....any product you are trying to sell should remain in its original state. If they're getting these off the trucks, I would be sending them right back to whomever sent them to me in the first place.

I don't believe they're receiving them in this way, though. They are creating their own problems...and, as we can see, the ones laying flat are not in that condition (unless they have been laid down from hanging when someone took it down to look and didn't put it back.

Char
sewnmachine Offline
#17 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 3:58:47 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Was thanked: 335 time(s) in 221 post(s)
This is a bit off topic, but I watched a youtube video for the new March releases from DCWV - OMG!!! I can't wait! I checked on joann website, but nothing yet....

My Joanns has them hanging, standing up and lying flat. Some are buckled, some aren't. I just try to grab the best one. But most of the time I shop Joanns online. All of the stacks I've rec'd in the mail are perfectly flat.
 1 user thanked sewnmachine for this useful post.
CricketCMV Offline
#18 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 6:51:23 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

I hope everyone comes back to read this:

I was talking to a clerk at Joann's today......she does scrapbooks.....she said it doesn't matter that they are buckled......they will flatten out once you get them home and laying flat.

Now, I'm not sure I totally believe this....but she wasn't the least bit concerned about the fact they buckle. She said they come off the trucks that way.

So, what would you do with that? I think one of our OP said it didn't matter to her and maybe she also alluded to the fact it doesn't matter.

I'm still a little leery....of course, we're going to want to pick the best looking one. The reason I was so upset about it the other day was because I saw a stack at Michael's that I dearly loved. But, I didn't buy it.....five of them were all buckled. It was one of those that has the treatments and makes the pages look shiny and rubbery looking (don't know how to describe it).

Today, I went back to Joann's to see if they had a flat one and that's when I talked to the clerk at Joann's (had talked to one at Michael's the other day). They had a buckled one...didn't get it. I went to HL, since I had not gone there the other day....they didn't have it. So, I went back to Michael's and was tempted to get a buckled one....picked it up, put it back, picked it up (actually took it off the nail), put it back...and left it. LOL.

I did see two other similar stacks, though, and I immediately fell in love with them. I bought both of them....have probably NEVER bought two packs in one day.

Oh, while I was at Michael's, I told the young lady I told the other day what the lady at Joann's said....just in case there's a big controversy going on at Michael's over this! Just trying to be fair.

Char
Leanner Offline
#19 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 8:40:06 PM(UTC)
Leanner

Was thanked: 1478 time(s) in 1089 post(s)
Most of our lay flat at the J's that I work at. I haven't seen too much damaged from the pegs. I have seen more damaged from them being "mishandled".
 1 user thanked Leanner for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 3/17/2013(UTC)
nancyh Offline
#20 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 8:02:44 AM(UTC)
nancyh

Was thanked: 565 time(s) in 426 post(s)
I don't have any problems with my CS stacks that I can tell. I store them vertically in my Expidit, but they are packed in there pretty good so not much wiggle room LOL! I only keep the printed CS stacks like that though. The solid colored cs stacks I take apart and separate by color.
 1 user thanked nancyh for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 3/17/2013(UTC)