Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

ScrapCat Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:54:42 PM(UTC)
ScrapCat

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 1113 time(s) in 716 post(s)
Can someone please explain to me what all the rave is about the ATG tape runner? I see a lot of people own them and say it is a must have, but how is t different from other tape runners? It's expensive, so I would really like to know before I invest in one. Oh, and where's the cheapest place to get one?
LloydyneVining Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:11:18 PM(UTC)
LloydyneVining

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
beside the tape being a whole lot cheaper. Instead of 36 feet it's like 36 yards
Penguin Collector Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:11:24 PM(UTC)
Penguin Collector

United States

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 147 post(s)
Thanks for asking this question! I don't have one and would like to know the answer.
magenta Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:21:48 PM(UTC)
magenta

Was thanked: 703 time(s) in 506 post(s)
The ATG is pretty easy to use. The tape is strong and comes in acid free rolls. The initial investment is pricey, but you save so much money on the refills which last a long time it's cheaper in the long run. It's also big enough you can't ever lose it on your desk!

It's now available in a pink version at Michaels. The price use to be $34.99 but recently went up to $39.99, although using a coupon makes it much cheaper. I paid about $42 for the original red one online, and that was considered a good deal. The refills are available at Michaels too, but they're much cheaper on line. On youtube.com are several videos which deomonstrate them.

I have to add I initially didn't want to spend the money on one, but I was very glad I did when I saw how easy it is to use and how well the tape works. I use it on a lot of non scrapping stuff too, like wrapping presents. Now that they have a pink version I sort of wish I had waited! BigGrin
 1 user thanked magenta for this useful post.
Buggin_Out on 9/28/2010(UTC)
scrappylove Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:21:58 PM(UTC)
scrappylove

Was thanked: 131 time(s) in 94 post(s)
The initial investment is more, but if you use alot of adhesive the amount you get on a roll is way more than anything else out there so you end up spending less.
I also like the fact that I can go a long time without having to stop to change a roll.
I waited a long time to buy one- when Michael's started selling them and I can see why people rave about it.
SoniaScrapAlot Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:23:39 PM(UTC)
SoniaScrapAlot

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Michael's has the pink ATG for a limited time and you can use a coupon to purchase. That is the least expensive route to go right now, end price around $21 and it comes with two rolls of tape. I just bought my first one 2 months ago and I absolutely LOVE it. The tape comes out smoothly and doesn't get tight at the end like some of the small disposable runners. The tape comes two rolls to a pack, each one being 36 yards for a total of 72 yards per pack and M's will let you use a coupon to buy it. (Sorry, I can't remember what I paid for the extra pack of tape, but it wasn't much.) It is EASY to load and easy to operate. I had been thinking of one for a couple of years but couldn't warrant paying the high price until M's got this cool pink one in at a much lower price. Also, a portion of the profits are donated to the Susan G. Koman foundation. Having lost a little sister to breast cancer, I'm all about the pink!! :-)

All in all, I would say it is a must have. I hope this helps.
 2 users thanked SoniaScrapAlot for this useful post.
Buggin_Out on 9/28/2010(UTC), kashicaat on 10/26/2010(UTC)
magenta Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:27:50 PM(UTC)
magenta

Was thanked: 703 time(s) in 506 post(s)
Another add here. There are two versions: the 3M ATG and the ATG50. The 50 is considered the generic version and is cheaper to buy. Some people prefer it over the 3M version, but now that you can get it with a coupon I'd recommend spending a little more for the 3m. HTH.

Edited by user Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:35:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CraftyCreations Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:32:38 PM(UTC)
CraftyCreations

Was thanked: 340 time(s) in 228 post(s)
The investment of buying the gun is the biggest. I purchased my first yellow atg for about 60.00. I now purchased the pink one at michaels for $17 something using a 50% off coupon of course. The tape runs smoothly and last a very long time. I have not had any problems with items falling off my pages or cards. It's a must have...... all my friends thought I was crazy when they would see me using it at our scrapnights.... but most of them have them now. LOL
kimk. Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:35:31 PM(UTC)
kimk.

Was thanked: 153 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Ditto to what everyone else has said!! I've had mine for over 3 years now and LOVE it!!

One more thing is that if your tape breaks for some reason, you can just rethread it and you're good to go! With small runners you usually have to trash it.
OhCecilia Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 10:46:03 PM(UTC)
OhCecilia

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I've had my ATG gun for a year or so and love it like everyone else. It's an initial investment but in the long run you'll be saving since you'll be spending less on tape refills. 36 yards goes a long way! The only draw back is the thing is HUGE! M's sounds like a good place to buy it. I'm going to even try to find it at an M's around here just so I can get one in pink. BigGrin Good luck!
Scrappydoo2 Offline
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:19:11 AM(UTC)
Scrappydoo2

Was thanked: 1094 time(s) in 414 post(s)
IMHO...........The adhesive itself if much stronger than most tape runners.
LinAnn Offline
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:29:44 AM(UTC)
LinAnn

Was thanked: 440 time(s) in 300 post(s)
Overall, it saves you money. Easy to use, and I don't find the size a drawback. I use mine on every project. Smile
sparklesisters Offline
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:35:36 AM(UTC)
sparklesisters

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 20 post(s)
My best friend has the red 50 atg and it is really great adhesive. She made baby bootie boxes for shower and the ones she made with the atg held together and the ones made with just a tape runner popped apart. It made me a believer.
simplycricut Offline
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:36:04 AM(UTC)
simplycricut

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I never thought I would want the ATG until I received it as a gift and its the best thing next to sliced bread. I used to only use CM photo splits or tape runner and have had a problem with photos coming off the pages after some years now but with the ATG nothing has come undone yet. I also like the fact that when doing some of the kids projects its a tighter hold. You don't have to use as much either. I get my refills online since they are cheaper and quite often you will find people on here doing a tape share. Where they all get together and go in on a case and its cheaper yet.

Another use for my ATG gun is wrapping xmas presents. So fast and easy.
ScrapCat Offline
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:53:35 AM(UTC)
ScrapCat

United States

Was thanked: 1113 time(s) in 716 post(s)
Thanks guys, I'm on my way to Michaels!!ThumpUp
Lguild Offline
#16 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 10:36:20 AM(UTC)
Lguild

Was thanked: 1717 time(s) in 690 post(s)
I make a LOT of cards for CFS. It was very expensive to buy so many of the small tape runners and so aggravating to constantly be running out of tape that the ATG made perfect sense, for me.

There are still things I use liquid adhesive on but 99% of my things are put down with the ATG.
Alecia Offline
#17 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 10:42:28 AM(UTC)
Alecia

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I have had my ATG for several years now and I LOVE it!!
Everything about it is wonderful!

I order refills from this link... they are cheapest I have found and they are really fast! Just make sure you always buy GOLD, they are acid free.
http://www.framingsupplies.com/3M/3MATGTape.htm
indypam57 Offline
#18 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 10:51:46 AM(UTC)
indypam57

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I have had mine for quite a while and love it. The best part is, I don't ever have to look for it, its so big you can't lose it. The adhesive is so strong, nothing ever comes unstuck. I got mine from the same place Alecia got hers, framingsupplies.com.
Princessaam Offline
#19 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 11:00:29 AM(UTC)
Princessaam

Was thanked: 289 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Simple match...

And the numbers are even BETTER now that M's is carrying it nad with the coupon!!!

For the same price
ONE ATG gun plus one roll of Adhesive = SIX Tombow refills.

Tombow Refills(36 FEET) $5 ...ATG tape( 36 YARDS) on a Tape Share.... $2

No brainer!!!

~M
Scrapgirl63 Offline
#20 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 11:05:46 AM(UTC)
Scrapgirl63

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I love my ATG. i did not get one for the longest because of the price. Since Michael's started carrying them I had to have one of the pink guns. My fav scrapbooking tool. And the tape is a lot cheaper and lasts a long time.
CricutingCarol Offline
#21 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 5:17:16 PM(UTC)
CricutingCarol

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I got my Pink ATG at Michael's (with a 50% off coupon, so I got it for $20) a few months back and it's the BEST thing I think I've purchased since I started crafting (back in May. LOL!) LIke everyone said, the initial investment is a little steep, but I haven't had to buy any adhesive since I got this (except one refill for my little Xyron). The adhesive is super strong and despite how big the gun appears, it doesn't weigh much at all and is VERY easy to use! The loading was a little tricky for me, but there are a bunch of great how-to-load-your-ATG gun on YouTube, so I just sat my behind in front of the computer with my ATG and the tape and followed along and VOILA! BigGrin

I'd recommend this to anyone!
LadyJane Offline
#22 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 5:24:04 PM(UTC)
LadyJane

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I thought the same as you, what is all the hype??? And why is it so big??? I held out for so long, because really, it was too expensive for me. But then I got the pink one from Michaels and used it a bit. Wow! I love it! Yes, I still have to get use to the size, but it is nice not to run out of tape, and I now have a pretty good stock of extra tape (I buy them at Michaels when I get a 50% off coupon. You will love it!
gin4Jesus98 Offline
#23 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 6:01:24 PM(UTC)
gin4Jesus98

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Same as mentioned above, easy to use, less costly after the initial expense and tape roll is longer so it lasts longer between refills. I, too, couldn't understand it but after I was no longer a CM consultant (and getting a discount on my tape runner refills), I did that math and it made sense to me to make the initial investment to save money in the long run. I like it so much that have the red one (bought JUST before the pink one was released) which I use with my acid free tape for scrapbooking. Then ,just a month ago, I bought a pink one at M's with a coupon, and I got some of the tape that may/may not be acid free and I use that for papercrafting and gift wrapping. wouldn't go back to a "regular" tape runner.