Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

JSClemsonFan Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 12:09:04 PM(UTC)
JSClemsonFan

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I don't know why I can't get my head around the way the Gypsy works. But it sounds like a neat idea in theory. Here are a few of my questions...

1. If I load my carts onto my Gypsy, then do I always have to take my Gypsy with me when I scrapbook? Sometimes I take my carts with me. I have two machines. The Expressions and the Cake...will the carts work in those once they have been loaded on the Gypsy?

2. Many of my friends have Cricuts too. If they want to borrow a cart that I have, will it work in their Expression or would I have to give them my Gypsy to use? Basically, I am asking if the cart is going to be erased once it is loaded on the Gypsy.

3. I have a Mac not a PC...does this matter when using the Gypsy? I do not use Design Studios...so would the Gypsy even need to hook into my computer?

I appreciate any input. I usually feel up-to-date on technology...but I can't get the "whole idea" of the Gypsy (for whatever reason).

Thanks!
dlbwright Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 12:29:07 PM(UTC)
dlbwright

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Let me be the first to respond! BigGrin

1. I always take my gypsy with me when I go to a crop, but I also take my books with me. I leave the cart and box and overlay at home. I like having the handbook with me because I like to see the colors of the cuts and it helps me to figure out how to cut something in which colors. Once carts are loaded on the gypsy, they will work, even if they are for the cake.

2. No, a cart is not erased once it is loaded on to the gypsy. You can load it to your gypsy, user it in another cricut, but it just cannot be linked to another gypsy.

3. I do not know the answer on the Mac question. Maybe someone who has a Mac can.

I love my gypsy and don't know how I ever got along without it.

HTH.

Diana
scrapsprite Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 12:43:01 PM(UTC)
scrapsprite

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 93 post(s)
The Gypsy will work with a Mac and you will need to connect it to your computer occasionally for software & firmware updates and if you want to backup your gypsy files.

I'm new to this also and still learning!
formeitsyou Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 8:33:10 AM(UTC)
formeitsyou

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am so glad to see this question! I was worried about the carts not working after downloading to the gypsy. My step-mom and I share carts and I just got the gypsy. Happy to know I can load all of her carts to my gypsy and they will still work for her on her cricut! Love
Mercy Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 1:22:57 PM(UTC)
Mercy

Was thanked: 2082 time(s) in 1202 post(s)
JSClemsonFan wrote:
I don't know why I can't get my head around the way the Gypsy works. But it sounds like a neat idea in theory. Here are a few of my questions...

1. If I load my carts onto my Gypsy, then do I always have to take my Gypsy with me when I scrapbook? Sometimes I take my carts with me. I have two machines. The Expressions and the Cake...will the carts work in those once they have been loaded on the Gypsy?

Yes!
2. Many of my friends have Cricuts too. If they want to borrow a cart that I have, will it work in their Expression or would I have to give them my Gypsy to use? Basically, I am asking if the cart is going to be erased once it is loaded on the Gypsy.

I would not loan a cart to anyone that has not already been synced to my g. After it is sync than feel free.

3. I have a Mac not a PC...does this matter when using the Gypsy? I do not use Design Studios...so would the Gypsy even need to hook into my computer?

Yes, it does not matter what OS you are running, in order to update and back up your g, you will need a computer.

I appreciate any input. I usually feel up-to-date on technology...but I can't get the "whole idea" of the Gypsy (for whatever reason).

Thanks!

Edited by user Friday, October 15, 2010 1:23:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ladybugstamper Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 2:55:24 PM(UTC)
ladybugstamper

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 245 post(s)
Hi!
Another point on #1

Not only will your cartridges still work on all Cricut machines after they are linked.

You will be able to sync your Gypsy to any Cricut Machine and cut designs on these machines (with the cartridges left at home.)

My Gypsy is currently synced to my O-Bug, Expression and Cricut Cake Machine. I was able to cut my niece's name out from a Gypsy file in fondant using my cake. My Gypsy is also synced to 2 of my friends' Expression so when we get together I have all my cartridges with me.

To me this is way too cool.

As for the handbooks. I have them downloaded on the Good Reader App on my I-touch, I have color images, all the handbooks (I have 109 cartridges) with me all the time. I also have the image from the back of the boxes, and Cricut Cheat Sheets on this app. Lots of info in the palm of my hand.

Hope this helps.
Rozette Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 8:25:16 PM(UTC)
Rozette

Was thanked: 111 time(s) in 61 post(s)
You can use your gypsy on any cricut machine whose firmware has been updated. You don't necessarily sync or link your G to certain machines. Just make sure if you take your G to a crop hut not your machines that the machines available have been updated to use a G.
ladybugstamper Offline
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 16, 2010 7:59:32 AM(UTC)
ladybugstamper

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 245 post(s)
Oh, thanks, works with a "firmware updated" Cricut, sounds so much better than what I said. I'll use that from now on, thanks, what I said sort of implies they're "stuck" together, and that's not true.

It is great to travel with just a Gypsy and not all your cartridges, that's, for me, one of the neatest things about the Gypsy.
MELM Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 9:11:05 AM(UTC)
MELM

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 35 post(s)
I am new to this also,but I just read a post about the Mac. The gypsy does require a certain operating system.....I think 10.6. Just something to check out..... HTH.